Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Need advice as I'm scared and confused bone loss hrt  (Read 1054 times)

gillybilly

Need advice as I'm scared and confused bone loss hrt
« on: December 07, 2020, 10:00:36 PM »

Hi
I had an early menopause at around 43 im now 50

I didn't really have a bad menopause,  symptoms were very slight and manageable I didn't take any drugs, life was pretty hectic and full on

2 years ago I had a back xray done no problems found but it lead me to have a private dexa scan.

This showed that I had osteopenia in my spine -1.7   hips normal
I was a bit shocked and went to see my gp to ask about hrt who told me it was only prescribed  for early menopause  under 40 and to take calcium vit d and exercise

The osteopenia has been on my mind constantly and I have read loads on why I should have taken hrt, that the Dr should have prescribed  it etc. I even spoke to not to get advice (who didn't really help much)

Today I went for another dexa scan
My spine has dropped to -2  hips still in normal range.

Totally shocked that my spine tscore has fallen so much after doing all the right things

The dr report basically says nothing to worry about as only osteopenia which is probably true if I was 65 but I'm only 50.

Now I'm even more worried and angry with myself for listening to the doctors 2 years ago and even more angry with myself for not knowing that early menopause could cause osteoporosis and other things

What do I do.  How do I reverse it. Is hrt the only answer which is something I really don't want to take

If my dr still won't prescribe I know i can buy it online, evorel conti,  and I know I need to do something not just sit and wait for it to get worse

I walk about 3 miles a day, take vit d, k7,  magnesium, my job involves heavy lifting as well.
Any one in a similar position or can offer advice

Thank you

sheila99

Re: Need advice as I'm scared and confused bone loss hrt
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 11:02:12 PM »

Others will have better advice about osteopenia but can I ask you why you're against hrt? Transdermal is much safer than the older horse urine oral ones, you have a greater risk of cancer if you drink, smoke or are overweight than with transdermal hrt. Personally I would rather take the small increased risk than have osteoporosis. If your gp is difficult you can ask for a referral to a menopause clinic but you might prefer to see a more knowledgeable gp. Do you have adequate calcium in your diet?

Otter15

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 05:55:48 AM »

I have osteopenia and was told the same as you. I now take calcium and vitamin D tablets and eat almonds every day. I also eat other foods rich in calcium such as figs.
I do a brisk 40 minute walk every day now and went to see a physiotherapist who gave me exercises to strengthen my back.
I'm not due for another scan yet but hopefully it will help.

gillybilly

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 11:41:16 AM »

I'm not scared of hrt.. I'm more scared of osteoporosis.
I feel so angry that I think my doctors will only take it seriously when it becomes full blown osteoporosis

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 01:59:06 PM »

I would be too. Can you see a different gp and present with hot flushes etc etc? I have no experience of osteopenia but I would expect him to come up with a strategy to stop it progressing. Have you tried a forum search? It's disappointing you haven't had more replies but there may be something useful on old threads. Is there any advice on the nhs website?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 02:09:40 PM »

Hi!  Have you looked at the dedicated osteoporosis group?  UK based?  Can't remember the title off the top of my head but if you do a google it should pop up.

HRT will protect heart and bone health.  As will regular exercise, keeping a healthy diet, plenty of fresh air and watching overall weight gain.

The best area for a bone scan is pelvis and hips as this is the dentist area.  I had a full bone scan prior to radiation therapy - had to drink 2 pints of water in the hour B4 and not pee  ::) then had to lay completely still. 

Let us know how you get on. 

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2020, 02:11:12 PM »

Found it!   Royal Osteoporosis Society  - easy to negotiate website with lots of helpful info. ;)

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2020, 02:16:14 PM »

The best area for a bone scan is pelvis and hips as this is the dentist area. 
My dentist doesn't examine my backside!   ;D

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2020, 03:10:13 PM »

:rofl:  ow, would you tell us if he did  ;D

Desist?  Nope. Densist?  Nope  ::). thickest ...........

sheila99

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2020, 05:35:53 PM »

Definitely. She's female (and the best dentist I've ever had).  ???

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2020, 06:17:19 PM »

I love our Dentist  ;)

I think young people need to be encouraged to eat more dairy.  It will protect their bones later in life.  But we don't look that far forwards as kids do we  :(.  Osteoporosis is a word and older people walk bent over or die from fracture femurs.  Not going to happen to young people  :-\

I danced from 8 until 18.  Walked or cycled, 1 car in the family so no other way of getting around.  Swam, hated hockey  :o ........

What do you like doing gillbilly, is there any particular activity that draws you either on-line or in a group when we can meet again?