Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: HRT and joint aches  (Read 5652 times)

Ljp

HRT and joint aches
« on: January 16, 2017, 11:05:48 PM »

Hi,
I've been on HRT (Mirena coil and 2 pumps estrogel) for a year now, and was doing really well, no hot flushes, lessened anxiety, clearer thinking, less aches and pains.
Then before Christmas I had a bad back spasm, and following on from that joint pain in wrists, ankles, knees etc etc, and I'm still getting the joint pains most days, just that horrible dull ache feeling, and not sure why.

I do reach dance fitness, and am used to having muscle aches, but this is more like the pains I used to get occasionally before I went on HRT.
Just wondering if anyone else still gets joint aches while taking HRT.

Thank you x

Salad

Re: HRT and joint aches
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 11:15:08 PM »

Hey  :)

Yes I had joint pain. It was diagnosed as menopausal arthritis and treated by increasing my daily oestrogel from 2 pumps to 3. It was really effective  :gym:

Ljp

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 07:49:50 AM »

Thank you for that Salad, are you post meno? And do you still use 3 pumps?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 10:51:25 AM »

Ljp - if I remember rightly, you teach keep fit or dance? OR you at least do a lot of work outs etc.
As an ex professional dancer, I can honestly tell you that I'm afraid even HRT can't stop the inevitable pain from the damage that so much physical activity does to the joints. Osteoarthritis will get us I'm afraid - my hip actually gets stuck sometimes - I have to keep walking these days and that eases the pain.  I couldn't do dancing or even an exercise class without my joints giving me real problems - I just stick to lots of brisk walking.
You must also not rule out a mild virus!!??  My joints really hurt when I am feeling under the weather - even when I get a bit over tired.  Make sure you keep really warm after exercising and don't sit down for too long.  Also make sure you sit in the right way.
The oestrogen will be helping and increasing the oestrogen a bit may well help.  The cold damp weather doesn't help - the old expression “I feel it in my bones” is so true as we age.
HRT can't fix everything - we have to adapt our lives as we age.  DG x

dahliagirl

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 10:54:27 AM »

I get it if I stop my vit D.  I also need to relearn how to relax - I am rigid a lot of the time and I am sure that contributes.

Elizabethrose

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 11:09:29 AM »

Hi Ljp

My joint pain started at the beginning of peri and I would say has become progressively worse over time. Though not professionally like Dancinggirl, I danced up until my late 30s, and certainly my feet have paid a price for that as have my lower back and hips. I take a joint supplement which does seem to help the overall joint pain BUT my lower back pain is pretty constant now. I have to do back stretches and exercises daily which definitely help and I try to walk everywhere instead of taking the car, bus or tube.

I've had a couple of years of soaring and crashing oestrogen levels and when the oestrogen crashes I ache all over, it's definitely related. I don't take HRT so can't advise re that. x

Ljp

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 12:38:12 PM »

Thanks for the replies, DG, great help as always 😊

I have taught dance for 20 years, and dance fitness for 6 years, so, yes, my body does take a lot of punishment, but these aches have been different, more like I had before HRT, that nagging dull aches in every joint, even my fingers, I guess more like flu without the flu.

I did wonder if it might be a mild virus, I use Vicks first defense when there are bugs about, to help prevent myself getting a cold.

I have just started taking vit D3, high strength magnesium, glucosamine and calcium, hoping it might help. Not sure if it's wise to up my estrogel?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 12:54:29 PM »

Ljp - The Vitamin D supplement is a good idea - Vit D deficiency leads to aching joints.  Mid winter is when we will be particularly low on these vital vitamins and minerals.  I've started cooking with coconut oil as well - it has vitamin K which is supposed to be good for bones and joints!!! DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 08:39:03 PM »

I take HRT and I'm in my 60's and rarely get joint aches - the odd twinge in my ankles or thumb joints and occasionally elsewhere - but I don't do the lengthy exercise that you have done. I do get muscle aches though but these have lessened enormously since starting testosterone more than 18 months ago.

I wonder if the Mirena could have a negative effect? Have you noticed this since having this fitted? I can't see joint pain listed as a side effect though...

Hurdity x

Salad

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 11:46:44 PM »

Hi Ljp

Think I'm peri menopausal, but if I'm honest, no idea if I'm peri or post  ;D

I changed to patches after using gel for 18 months as I stopped absorbing the gel correctly. Still find balancing the dose difficult at times - 75 too little and 100 too much, so I do have to trim the patch  ::)
 When the dose is just right I don't have any joint pain at all.

Hope things settle down for you x