Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Is this the menopause?  (Read 2469 times)

Annab

Is this the menopause?
« on: September 02, 2016, 03:14:06 PM »

Hello all.  I'm new to this forum and I don't know whether this is the right place to be or not!

I'm 47 years old and for the past 14 months or so I have been bleeding three weeks out of four.  The bleeding is heavy and I have recently started to pass clots.  I have been given medication by my GP to take during the first five days of the bleed, which should then stop it.  It does. But within days of stopping the tablets I start to bleed again with a vengeance.

I am waiting for an abdominal ablation.

I have been having night sweats for the past 6 months or so but no hot flushes during the day.

I have put on weight around my middle and get terrible bloat after eating.

Over the past couple of weeks I have begun to feel very low and extremely irritable, literally wanting to walk away from everything & everyone!

Does this sound like the menopause?

Annie0710

Re: Is this the menopause?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 03:55:45 PM »

Yes it does sound like it

I had a hysterectomy at 32 and within months my ovaries started failing so had menopause symptoms then, never a hot flush, have taken oestrogen only since then, at 45 docs told me I'm going through a 2nd (natural) meno and once again no hot flushes, very very few night sweats too this time around

All your symptoms are listed as menopause

Annie x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 04:17:18 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Annab
Your symptoms are pretty typical for the peri meno stage.  The ablation should hopefully help with the heavy bleeds and some tests would be wise to see what is going on with your hormone levels and FSH, as you are still quite young to be low on oestrogen. 
Do read up all the info on this site to get clued up. List your symptoms and questions next time you see the gynae or GP so you can discuss your options re HRT treatment etc. 

Keep posting  DG x

Annab

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 09:50:29 PM »

Hi all. Thank you for your replies.  I thought as much to be honest!  I was kind of looking forward to the end of the dreaded monthly visits from Mother Nature but I'm guessing now I'm not going to have an easy ride!

I'm seeing my GP on Monday as the symptoms are taking over my life st the minute. 

Would it not be too early for HRT though?

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 04:02:56 PM »

Hi Annab

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about all your bleeding.

Have you thought about trying the new type of contraceptive pill Qlaira which is designed for peri-menopausal women - who might find that starting HRT at this stage does not work for them? The oestrogen in this tablet is the same as in most hRT types and is identical to the one produced in our own bodies.

This contains quite a high dose of progestogen which will limit the bleeding, and at the same time will control your cycle so that after you have settled on it, your bleed should become smaller and more predictable. Here is the information: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/contra2.php . It is unsuitable if you are intolerant of synthetic progestogens though.

Hurdity x

Annab

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 07:56:53 PM »

Ah thank you for all the advice.. My GP won't change my medication at the moment as my case is "complicated". I had a coil removed in January due to complications and my CA125 levels are abnormal. My gynaecologist doesn't feel it's anything too much to worry about but wants to take further biopsies when I have the ablation as the original was insufficient.

The constant symptoms and worry is a nightmare!