Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Taking extra progesterone?  (Read 2602 times)

elsie001

Taking extra progesterone?
« on: August 27, 2016, 12:35:46 PM »

I had the Mirena coil fitted almost a year ago & still having fairly constant spotting.  My GP has suggested taking extra progesterone (I presume in tablet form?) as she thinks the Mirena isn't pumping out enough progesterone to control the bleeding.  I had horrendously heavy periods prior to having the coil fitted.

Am 50 and have been peri for a number of years.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Hurdity

Re: Taking extra progesterone?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 06:26:15 PM »

Hi elsie001

Sorry your post has been missed - lots of us are busy/away and there are lots more posts these days.

I am sorry also, I have no experience of the Mirena coil - but from what I have read, it will make periods lighter if you are having heavy periods but won't necessarily stop them completely until you ovulate less often and your oestrogen levels begin to decline. I realise that random spotting is really annoying, but if it's just spotting and your periods were really heavy - I would have thought that was normal.

When you say you were peri for a number of years - by this do you mean your cycles had become irregular and you had maybe started to skip the odd cycle - or eg sometimes 5 weeks, sometimes 3 weeks, but had stopped being regularly 28 days or similar?

Have you started experiencing other symptoms too and has your GP suggesting an investigation just to check all is OK rather than just increase the prog? Sorry not sure of the protocol here on continued bleeding/spotting after 1 year)?

Hopefully other Mirena users may be along ie those who used Mirena in the absence of added oestrogen - which I presume you do ie no extra oestrogen as HRT?

Hurdity x

elsie001

Re: Taking extra progesterone?
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 09:38:38 AM »

Hi Hurdity,

Yes, my periods were fairly regular, mostly every 28 days (sometimes more frequent) and very heavy with lots of flooding and clots.

My GP did prescribe me Oestrogel in the hope it would help my hormonal migraines (which came back approx 6 months after getting coil fitted), but it made me unable to sleep at night so I stopped using it.  My oestrogen levels had come back as within the normal range on bloods I had taken about 5 months ago.

Other symptoms I'm having just now are cramping when spotting is at it's heaviest and an annoying stabbing pain on the right side of my groin/pelvic area.

I'm due my smear test in a couple of weeks....deep joy! ::), so the nurse is going to check position of coil etc during that appointment.

Despite the migraines, spotting etc, I quite like the coil & would be disappointed to have it removed as the heavy periods, insomnia and anxiety I experienced pre-coil were a nightmare!