Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: When to downsize.  (Read 9961 times)

ariadne

Re: When to downsize.
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2015, 01:04:45 AM »

Some retired neighbours recently downsized by buying a shared ownership new build property. They  sold their house, paid 50% for the shared ownership part and out of the rest of the equity, pay some rent and had the rest as a lump sum. I had thought those deals were just for first tme buyers but apparently not.

I wonder how much the rent is on these shared ownership deals.

Ariadne xx

Ju Ju

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2015, 08:26:16 AM »

Our spare room is small. We have a 2' 6" bed with an under bed that pulls out to make a 5' bed with mattresses that zip together. We have to remove most of the stuff out of the room so you can get in the room and walk round 2 sides of the bed. No room for the travel cot. That will have to go in the office, which is fine until our grand daughter is mobile. Making the room safe for a young child is going to be very difficult. Where to put things. We are great at de cluttering, as storage is lacking in this bungalow. Ah well, time to think around the problem. Granddaughter is only 3 months old, but I suspect mobile and independent as soon she is physically capable, judging from observations on face time!

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2015, 10:20:09 AM »

My hubby very briefly mentioned downsizing recently and I soon shut him up. ;D.  we have been here over about 24 years and it is so convenient. We are right in middle of large village but we are down a lane so really quiet and private. We have shops very close by, we're on a bus route if we need it, the GP is in next village and we know everyone really.

We have 4 bedrooms but DD still lives at home, Mum is here every other weekend and son comes home every couple of months so I really still need the rooms.  The garden is a lovely manageable size and so sunny and sheltered and the whole house is light and sunny which I'd miss if we moved elsewhere.

we own another smaller house which we rent out just a two minute walk from here and we have lovely tenants so if the worst came to the worst I guess we could live there but I would SO miss this house.

bramble

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2015, 01:11:21 PM »

Our spare room is small. We have a 2' 6" bed with an under bed that pulls out to make a 5' bed with mattresses that zip together. We have to remove most of the stuff out of the room so you can get in the room and walk round 2 sides of the bed. No room for the travel cot. That will have to go in the office, which is fine until our grand daughter is mobile. Making the room safe for a young child is going to be very difficult. Where to put things. We are great at de cluttering, as storage is lacking in this bungalow. Ah well, time to think around the problem. Granddaughter is only 3 months old, but I suspect mobile and independent as soon she is physically capable, judging from observations on face time!
JuJu, why don't your daughter, husband and baby sleep in your room and you and your husband decamp to the spare room.?

B

Ju Ju

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2015, 01:58:40 PM »

Now that's lateral thinking! If DH is on board for that, it might work!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2015, 10:13:15 PM »

When you feel the place where you live is too large.  I love our garden but it really is getting 'too much' as we are away more and more.  However, the country we were going to doesn't have the antique fairs and shops to browse round so we stayed put as our hobbies are currently within 10 mins. drive, an hour down the road or long-weekends away .

littleminnie

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2015, 06:23:05 PM »

You were going to emigrate?

honeybun

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2015, 08:36:38 PM »

Perhaps Wales  ;D.

Or maybe Scotland but not abroad abroad I would think.

Sure CLKD will be along soon.....if she hasn't blown away....to answer for herself.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2015, 09:15:01 PM »

;D ……… blustery here again after a calm day. Yep, it was to be Welsh Wales until ……..  ::)

I could live down here ……. but DH said this morning he is happy where we 'are'  :P

Taz2

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2015, 12:14:57 AM »

Where's "down here"?

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2015, 03:58:06 PM »

Yep - home now.  Lovely properties down there but can't face the upheaval, well, the risk of bad panic attacks  :'(
Pages: 1 [2]