Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: From Cyclogest to Utrogestan....help!  (Read 4507 times)

2cats

From Cyclogest to Utrogestan....help!
« on: September 28, 2014, 09:25:51 AM »

Hi,
I have just been prescribed Utrogestan as I'm fed up with using pessaries (cyclogest) and also finding that my PMS is worsening again, so thought a change might be useful.
However, I've been prescribed 100mg for 25 days out of 28.  I'm not post-meno and have been having peri symptoms for years....I'm in my 40s now.
I don't know whether it is better for me to take progesterone more regularly as it feels like my body (and mind!) doesn't like the ups and downs in the levels of hormones every 2 weeks??  If that makes sense..?
I'm feeling very grumpy at home this cycle and am now apprehensive of taking prog daily just in case my crabby mood continues all month!
So confused as to what to do for the best.
What have other ladies found when using utrogestan?
Thanks, :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: From Cyclogest to Utrogestan....help!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 10:36:20 AM »

Progesterone can cause ladies to feel worse ………

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 11:30:08 AM »

Hi 2cats
Do read up this info from this site: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/to_progestogens.php
It explains how to take Utrogestan and the difference between taking it in peri or post meno.
EVen if you are in your 40s you could be post meno but if you have been using HRT for some time then you may not know. I was peri meno from my mid 30s and took HRt from the age of 37.  I think I slipped into post meno around 43 as I started to feel as if I needed a bit more oestrogen and was getting some Vaginal Atrophy symptoms.  I increased my oestrogen a little when I was about 45 which did help but I remained on a sequi regime (i was using Oestrogel with progesterone pills 10 days a month).  Sadly back then Utrogestan was not an option.  Utrogestan is considered more 'breast friendly' and is often good for those who struggle with other types of progesterone.
I believe many women choose to use Utrogeastan in a sequi form as it can have a sedative effect if taken continuously.
It sounds to me as though you should use the Utrogestan in a sequi way but read up the info in the the link I have included and perhaps get back to your GP to check.
Hurdity is the expert on Utrogestan so hopefully she will be along soon with advice.
DG x

SueRoe

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 04:11:39 PM »

Hi 2cats, I was prescribed Utrogestan a couple of days ago and like you was told to take 100mg from days 1-25. You will have noticed that the accompanying leaflet says to take it from days 15-26. This confused me (not difficult!). I posted a thread on Utrogestan timing a couple of days ago and one of the members quite rightly advised me to read the section on this website about Utrogestan. I already had but was confused by the fact that it says the dose is 200mg on days 15-26, not 100mg. I am perimenopausal too, and 53. Sometimes I've felt great on HRT and other times pretty grotty - I suspect it depends what the dregs of my "natural" cycle is doing underneath the HRT.  So, do we do as the GP says (100mg on day 1-26) or as this website advises (200mg on days 15-26)? Decisions decisions...

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 06:17:59 PM »

I think that GPs are a bit confused about how to prescribe Utrogestan now it only comes in 100mg doses - very confusing.  I think you both should print out the info from this site and check with your doctors.  If you know you are peri meno then the sequi option would be advisable.
I wish Hurdity would add her advice as she has a science background and uses Utrogestan so is pretty clued up about all this.
My thoughts are -  you should both try the sequi option first to see how it effects you.  The sedative effect that many women get can be an issue if used continuously  - this is why many choose to stick with the sequi option even in post meno.  I know that Hurdity uses it on a long cycle and she is post meno.
BTW - you would need to take 2 pills each day if you use it in sequi regime.   Dg x

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 07:05:26 PM »

Hi there - there's not much I can add really - Dancinggirl you have explained it all fine!  :)

Btw I have been very very busy since Thurs eve until now without a moment to spare or to myself and haven't been on the forum - sometimes members aren't able just to add advice at the time of posting - we all come along and advise or share experiences when we can and as our lives permit!

Just to add that I am a Utrogestan user, and also that I mentioned elsewhere a few days ago that the main reason women are prescribed cyclical HRT until post-menopause or nearly so is because the bleed is then predictable. Many women find that the peaks and troughs of their own cycle causes more unpredictable bleeding and spotting as it breaks through if they take continuous progesterone while peri.

I'm not sure why you were prescribed Utrogestan 100 mg for 25 days 2cats? As Dancinggirl suggests maybe the GP is confused because 200mg is no longer available but as she says if you want to go on cyclical HRT the licensed dose is 200 mg for 12 days so double should be prescribed.  However maybe the doc is responding to your concerns re PMS - and continuous progesterone should more or less eliminate this because it eliminates the cycle? However if you want to be able to compare how you feel on both different products I would continue with cyclical and take 2 x 100 mg for 12 days (you should have enough for this) and then mention to the doc on your next visit. If you tolerate the Utrogestan well then try out the conti approach. You will feel different of course because Cyclogest is a perssary and utrogestan is taken (normally) orally unless you were planning to use it vaginally?

Freda - as Dancinggirl says. If you think you are still having a natural cycle then probably best to stay with sequi so take the 2 x 100 mg from day 15 to 26 but perhaps phone the doc and explain that's what you are doing because you are still peri - or ask him/her why you have been prescribed the post-meno regime.

The cost is the same either way.

Hurdity x

2cats

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 07:24:06 PM »

All sound advice so thanks everybody!
Hurdity - that's what i was considering re doing the sequi system first of all and see how i get on, so it's good to hear another person's thoughts match your own.

So that's my mind made up.  Days 15-26, 200mg utrogestan, orally.

Thanks so much everybody - what would i do without MM??