Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 30

Author Topic: Dental abscess and not finished the shopping yet!  (Read 107290 times)

Crescent

Re: Dental abscess and not finished the shopping yet!
« Reply #120 on: March 04, 2011, 06:16:21 PM »

No didn't have a sinus lift, CLKD and didn't need bone taken, had enough there which was surprise because I thought as I was _so_ old it may have all disappeared!   Must admit if it had involved a bone graft I may have had second thoughts.
Had tooth extracted and due to infection problems and a lot of abs which then gave me a UTI problem, I had a long gap before I plucked up courage to do the implant.  Have to say the implant rod bit was actually not bad at all.
So good luck with it all.

Trey

« Reply #121 on: March 04, 2011, 10:30:47 PM »

Does no one do fixed bridges anymore with the bridge of a false tooth fitted over two crowned teeth.  I have two of them and both over 25 years old.  Just wondered.

Has everyone read about the osteoporosis drugs depleting bone in the jaw, which has caused problems for implants.  My friend just went through that situation.

viv

« Reply #122 on: March 04, 2011, 10:39:31 PM »

My OH has a bridge which is very successful, he had it done a couple of years ago,so yes they still do it and compared to what CLKD is describing I know what one I would want  ???

Honeyb
x

dando

« Reply #123 on: March 04, 2011, 10:40:41 PM »

Oh Lord, reading this thread is frightening!  Despite 6 root canal treatments and 4 crowns up top and 2 in lower front teeth, that implant malarkey sounds scarey. Couple of years ago, had to have one of my incisor crowns removed and a bridge of some description put in. It was a doddle but I keep worryign that if the crown next door to it gives up the ghost (as they sometimes do after 25+ years), I'll need a bigger bridge or implants!  Eeek.  Good luck ladies :(

viv

« Reply #124 on: March 04, 2011, 10:41:49 PM »

False teeth ?

;D ;D ;D

Honeyb
x

Crescent

« Reply #125 on: March 04, 2011, 11:07:09 PM »

Hi Taylor,
Yes still do bridges but I was advised to have the implant because with a bridge the teeth are all joined together and if you then have a problem with any one of them it is more difficult to sort out.   The dentist said that as I have a bad abscess that can sometimes mean they reoccur so in the end I made the decision to have the implant, it was my choice.  Well sort of a choice :)

Trey

« Reply #126 on: March 05, 2011, 12:39:08 AM »

Hi Cres: Son's a dentist and he did one of my bridges.  Because it's all crowns little chance or far less chance of decay and if abscess can drill through the crowns, if I recall correctly.  I've had one 31 years.  Two six year molars pulled that were perfectly fine, due to sinuses (not diagnosed) in Air Force (husband was) at time.  Thought were abscessed, but alas, perfect roots.  It's an imperfect world.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #127 on: March 06, 2011, 09:54:32 AM »

Too much space for bridging!  However: I received the letter and quote yesterday, sent 2nd Class  >:( and on the first page of the letter who ever typed it has the side incorrect!!!! so that does NOT instill me with confidence.  He has only given me a mobile number for contact and I refuse to deal with professionals by mobile, they could so easily do a  moonlight flit !  and it means I am unable to look up his qualifications etc. as I don't have a Practice address, its being done through my regular Dental Surgery.  So not a hpapy bunny  >:(

Taz2

« Reply #128 on: March 06, 2011, 11:24:13 AM »

.... so where is the bone being taken from CLKD?

Taz x

Eddie

« Reply #129 on: March 06, 2011, 01:18:34 PM »

This is all very worrying, i'm supposed to be getting a bridge involving 6 teeth, but right now i have an infection above one of them, however the sound of these implants is more off putting, CLKD you are very brave and i hope it all works out for you.
I have appointment for dental dept of local hospital on Friday, not l;ooking forward to it at all.
Eddie. x

CLKD

« Reply #130 on: March 06, 2011, 02:14:44 PM »

no bone to be taken thank goodness, the sinus needs lifting to allow room for the pin ...... but not until I get an apology for a sloppy letter  ::)

Crescent

« Reply #131 on: March 06, 2011, 02:26:29 PM »

Honestly, implants really aren't that bad, apart from the huge cost!   The idea of the drilling into the jaw to place the titanium rod really made me feel queasy but the actual doing of it was ok.

Would definitely want to know about the dentist's credentials, CLKD.  I was sent to a dentist by my regular dentist as he doesn't do implants.  The guy I went to spent 90 per cent of his time on implants.  I then went back to my own dentist for the crown to be fitted, so cost was split between them.
Hope you can sort it out.

Taz2

« Reply #132 on: March 06, 2011, 04:47:58 PM »

CLKD - a sinus lift ALWAYS involves bone being grafted. It could be because the bone isn't dense enough or because the tooth is too close to the sinuses and you need to add the bone to lift the sinus away from the tooth "root" - either way bone has to be grafted on. Don't be taken in by a soft approach to this. If he said "sinus lift" then you will need bone to be added. Sorry.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #133 on: March 07, 2011, 09:38:03 AM »

Thanks - will ask when I go back next week.  Have decided to postpone treatment until I've shown him the letter sent from his surgery  >:( .......

CLKD

« Reply #134 on: March 07, 2011, 07:31:35 PM »

The Consultant rang me and cleared up a few pointers this morning, apparently he uses collected bone as 'packing' so won't be taking my own.  I will show him the letter when I go for the appt next Wed., to find out who actually signed it  >:(
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 30