Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: Good & bad points about giving up smoking.  (Read 102051 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Good & bad points about giving up smoking.
« Reply #135 on: October 05, 2013, 07:54:59 PM »

:medal:  remember it's a habit gained so won't be lost over-night!  Don't stop but limit yourself initially.  If you wake in the night then you are addicted so will need to be kinder to yourself!  If you only smoke in the day then have a look at the habit and see what you can substitute it with i.e. if you enjoy a ciggie after a meal, that's a habit to alter  ;)

lubylou

« Reply #136 on: January 02, 2014, 07:25:16 PM »

How great. I have just joined the forum and found this thread; I gave up ciggies three weeks ago, using the patches and an e - cig very occasionally. This thread has really given me loads of encouragement. Thanks and well done everyone who has stopped and stayed stopped and good luck to those who are cutting down or gearing up to give to a go! It isn't easy, especially when dealing with meno symptoms as well. Nicotine is a very addictive thing and it is hard to kick, even harder if, like me, you enjoyed a fag! Wish me luck......I hope I can stay off them..........., but I really miss my fag after my evening meal.

Suzyq

« Reply #137 on: January 03, 2014, 10:21:32 PM »

Well I'm about to give up on Sunday. I know it's a terrible habit and killing me but it's so hard to stay off them long-term. Am determined to make this my last ever giving up!! Hope you all continue to do well

lubylou

« Reply #138 on: January 05, 2014, 12:04:39 PM »

Today I am struggling, really would like a ciggie, it's not helping that I am not sleeping and staying in bed until too late in morning so I feel guilty that I am not spending time with my partner. Still, I have come this far so I will resist the urge to pop to the shop for a packet.

Good luck Suzyq, I hope you manage to stop, today is the day I think? I have found the patches a great help.
Lubylou

Suzyq

« Reply #139 on: January 05, 2014, 03:02:44 PM »

Well done lubylou. Keep it up! Yes today is the day.... OH is already puffing away but I am not.  3 weeks is just brilliant and we both know that even if you gave in and had a fag, you would not enjoy it at all!!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 03:38:54 PM by Suzyq »

lubylou

« Reply #140 on: January 05, 2014, 09:03:16 PM »

Good for you Suzyq, it must be hard trying of stay off ciggies when OH is smoking. I wish you all the very best. I have not given in and I am still fag free!
Lubylou

Cazikins

« Reply #141 on: January 07, 2014, 11:47:08 PM »

Well done Loubylou & Suzyq.
I know it isn't easy but remember it is early days but take one day at a time. Don't think about tomorrow, or the weekend. Don't worry about how you will cope. Stay positive. Give yourself a huge pat on the back for getting this far.

Remember the Motto:
Today I choose not to smoke.

Keep going girls - I shall be watching you.

Love Cazi xxx

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #142 on: January 15, 2014, 01:48:54 PM »

Keep up the good work girls - I've got an appointment booked for the 27th to see our practise nurse for giving up as well.  Like others I've stopped, started, stopped, gone onto e-cigs, started again........over the years.  This time I will need all the help I can get as I'm determined this time.  Already cut down considerably since hubby stopped just before Christmas.....

Cazikins

« Reply #143 on: January 15, 2014, 10:34:06 PM »

I remember as a child going into see the family doctor & a cigarette burning in the ashtray on his desk - how times have changed.

Good luck Greyhoundgirl, the patches worked for me.
Cazi xx

lubylou

« Reply #144 on: January 23, 2014, 10:24:06 PM »

Hi all
I am still not smoking, but find it hard when a stressful event happens (don't ask but one after another over last week). Why me I keep asking myself?

Anyway I'm still off the cigs.

Keep it up all of you who are trying to stay smoke free.

It will we worth it, I keep telling myself I have gone without for too long now to give in and go back to square one.

Keep going without..........day at a time
Lubylou

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #145 on: January 24, 2014, 03:10:46 PM »

Well done Loubyloo for not giving in when things got tough -I'm exactly the same, stress makes me smoke far more.  Still puffing at the moment but appointment this coming Monday afternoon to see the practice nurse.

lubylou

« Reply #146 on: January 25, 2014, 04:24:07 PM »

Hi all
Still not smoking, I am not saying it is easy because is isn't, in fact its " #*&@%#" hard when any hint od stress or sometimes even just a change in my regular routine seems to be be a trigger for me to reach for a ciggie. But I have come through another few days without giving in and so I intend to keep on keeping on as a non smoker.

The weather here has been nasty and as I only used smoke outside it has been nice not to be sheltering from the rain and wind in the garden while having my nicotine fix!

Keep going for those who are trying to stay stopped and good luck to those who are on the brink of making the decision to quit. :)
lubylou

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #147 on: January 28, 2014, 02:24:25 PM »

Just done my first 24hrs cigarette free :)  Saw my lovely nurse yesterday who has armed me with full-strength 24hr patches plus some of the little inhalators for emergencies.  I did have a couple of puffs on it last night but patch went on first thing this morning and so far so good.  I haven't actually wanted a cigarette so far and although it seems far to early for it to happen my cough seems a bit better today :)

Taz2

« Reply #148 on: January 28, 2014, 05:57:17 PM »

:foryou: :foryou: :foryou: :foryou:

Taz x  :medal:

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #149 on: January 29, 2014, 01:19:57 PM »

Another 24hrs under my belt :)  Still not feeling as if I "need" a cig but have wanted one a couple of times, still, that's what the inhalator is for I suppose.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13