Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mammogram advice  (Read 112 times)

SaraC2773

Mammogram advice
« on: Today at 06:57:54 AM »

Hi all,

Just wanted some advice on mammorgrams.

I have severe health anxiety,  to the point where I have to take medication daily and even that doesn't fully control it.

I've just been called for my first mammogram and I can barely function,  the appointment isn't for another few weeks and already  I've diagnosed myself with cancer that is beyond treatment. :(

I've read on this form about same day mammograms/scans and wondered if anyone knew anything about this?  Basically,  my anxiety is so bad,  I think I will have to try and pay privately as I honestly don't think I could cope with the waiting period for results.

Any advice greatfully received.

Thank you
Sara

Penguin

Re: Mammogram advice
« Reply #1 on: Today at 07:34:19 AM »

I am the same as you and struggle with routine screening  but have always done it up until now with smear tests. Turned 50 this month and expecting my invite soon. Have spoken to both GP and psychiatrist who are supportive of me going somewhere where I get it done and results on same day. There are places you can go privately where they do the mammogram and you see the consultant with results same day and, if needed, they then also do an ultrasound and biopsy (I think biopsy too) if needed on same day. Then the only wait is for the results if a biopsy was needed. My GP thinks this approach would help manage my anxiety and his only query was what the conversion rate from mammo to biopsy was, ie whether they sent more people down that route than clinically necessary, to make more money. I don't know the answer to that yet, but I still think paying for as many stages as possible to be done on same day will be better for me, as it is the waiting I can't cope with.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: Today at 07:44:36 AM »

Anticipatory anxiety is the pits  >:( :-\.  It is why I can't book a holiday yet this year .............  :(

SaraC2773 - R U able to let us know which medication you take to ease symptoms?  I've tried several over the years, all with success.

It can nip a bit.  The lady will ask you to remove clothing from the waist upwards.  The breasts will be photographed individually by putting on onto a plate which means leaning forwards slightly; holding onto the frame.  Then the plate will be lowered from above, a quick click in the background and first film taken.  Same with the  other breast.

It is important to have this screening.  Sometimes if the film isn't clear or when breasts are dense, we may be called back for a 2nd scan.  This does NOT mean cancer!

My lump was felt on palpation and never seen on film.  It was removed, I had a course of radiation treatment and regular follow ups.  Still here!

What do U fear the most? 

SaraC2773

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:55:08 AM »

Hi both,

Thank you for the replies.  I am going to speak to my GP, I've put in an econsult to get their views/opinions on going privately.

CKLD I take Venlafaxine, over the years I've tried pretty much everything prozac,  citalopram, clomipramine,  mirtazapine,  ven seems to pretty much manage my anixety the best - until of course something like this crops up!

In terms of what I fear the most is a late diagnosis,  which goes against the whole purpose of mammograms as I know it's to try and catch things early.

Penguin,  glad it's not just me it's the build up to the test and then the waiting that absolutely cripples me!  I would still be anxious going for the test(s) but knowing I could at least get them done in the same day would I think help me to feel I have some level of control over things,  rather than just waiting for the postman/phone to ring.

CKLD glad to hear that your treatment was successful and hope you are still keeping well?
« Last Edit: Today at 08:28:16 AM by SaraC2773 »

Penguin

« Reply #4 on: Today at 09:28:36 AM »

Good idea to speak to the GP. If they recommend somewhere, would you mind letting me know on here please or sending me a DM? Likewise I will do the same.

SaraC2773

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:39:09 AM »

Will do Penguin.

I got a reply to my e-consult which said to contact the mental health hub, they'd completely ignored my question about private options or whether there was any other medication I could take to get me through this period. 

Anyway,  called them in tears as it was so obvious no one had read the form properly and it  was a classic fob off.  The receptionist was lovely,  apologised for that part being missed and I have an apt on Friday to see the GP.  I will let you know how it goes and if I get any recommendations for private options.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: Today at 10:40:12 AM »

Take a list of your worries with you.  Also ask whether an ultra sound would be 'better' than a mammogram.

Yep, tnx. All OK now.  Why would a mammogram show a 'late diagnosis'?  There's no logic to anxiety is there  :(.  What would be a problem with that scenario, once I was in the system - albeit privately through insurance - I felt supported.

It's obvious that e-mails are often not read thoroughly.

Penguin

« Reply #7 on: Today at 11:05:18 AM »

Take a list of your worries with you.  Also ask whether an ultra sound would be 'better' than a mammogram.

Yep, tnx. All OK now.  Why would a mammogram show a 'late diagnosis'?  There's no logic to anxiety is there  :(.  What would be a problem with that scenario, once I was in the system - albeit privately through insurance - I felt supported.

It's obvious that e-mails are often not read thoroughly.

Totally true about being no logic to anxiety. Whe  I was explaining how I felt to the psychiatrist,  he pointed out that these letters are automatically generated and that my risk wouldn't have suddenly increased just because the letter had been issued. Sort of helped 🤷‍♂️

Elliebee

« Reply #8 on: Today at 11:09:26 AM »

I am exactly the same Sara. I have had 2 routine mammograms and get myself so worked up! Last time (in March) my appointment was not for 3 weeks. However, when I contacted the unit they were able to offer me an appointment in 4 days time at another nearby unit. Before paying to go private I’d suggest you call them to ask if there are any appointments available sooner.
Waiting for the results is awful but from what I hear  they do tend to come back quickly if you are recalled which is more common on first mammogram as there is nothing to compare the results too.
I would not recommend going private as in my experience they are always keen to do more tests as then they get more money ! I’ve experienced this a couple of times !

quote author=SaraC2773 link=topic=70262.msg953692#msg953692 date=1722236274]
Hi all,

Just wanted some advice on mammorgrams.

I have severe health anxiety,  to the point where I have to take medication daily and even that doesn't fully control it.

I've just been called for my first mammogram and I can barely function,  the appointment isn't for another few weeks and already  I've diagnosed myself with cancer that is beyond treatment. :(

I've read on this form about same day mammograms/scans and wondered if anyone knew anything about this?  Basically,  my anxiety is so bad,  I think I will have to try and pay privately as I honestly don't think I could cope with the waiting period for results.

Any advice greatfully received.

Thank you
Sara
[/quote]

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: Today at 11:18:35 AM »

'automatically generated'  >:(.

What's the worst that could happen? 

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: Today at 11:18:54 AM »

Oh and have a group  :hug: because anxiety is the PITS  >:(

bombsh3ll

« Reply #11 on: Today at 11:20:41 AM »

Screening for any treatable disease is generally a good idea, HOWEVER it is optional and there is an argument that in some instances it can do more harm than good.

There's a professor who talks about this, I think his name is Baum, he is Kate Muirs father and an eminent breast surgeon.

I would say that if the idea of attending screening has someone unable to function and taking anxiety medication, it begs the question whether the intended benefits outweigh the harm in that situation.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: Today at 11:38:55 AM »

I was reading an article about home cervical screening tests  :o ........ who would ...... the author was explaining that had she not gone for a routine screening by a Medic a potentially fatal condition would not have been found. 

My worry during 4 weeks of week day radiation appts was whether the anxiety would stop me attending  :-\.  Fortunately I was OK!

Penguin

« Reply #13 on: Today at 11:42:28 AM »

Screening for any treatable disease is generally a good idea, HOWEVER it is optional and there is an argument that in some instances it can do more harm than good.

There's a professor who talks about this, I think his name is Baum, he is Kate Muirs father and an eminent breast surgeon.

I would say that if the idea of attending screening has someone unable to function and taking anxiety medication, it begs the question whether the intended benefits outweigh the harm in that situation.

Totally agree with all of that!

Penguin

« Reply #14 on: Today at 11:43:17 AM »

I was reading an article about home cervical screening tests  :o ........ who would ...... the author was explaining that had she not gone for a routine screening by a Medic a potentially fatal condition would not have been found. 

My worry during 4 weeks of week day radiation appts was whether the anxiety would stop me attending  :-\.  Fortunately I was OK!

I read about the home screening option too. I think they are considering it as a way of increasing uptake.
Pages: [1] 2