Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Worrying scan results  (Read 219 times)

Pqow

• First Flush
Worrying scan results
« on: July 26, 2024, 09:22:09 PM »

I had a scan yesterday and dr has called today to say I’m being referred on an urgent pathway. Obviously I’m very worried.
The scan says my endometrium was 16mm with a coarse texture, areas suggestive of cysts and areas suggestive of polyps. Nothing in one ovary, couldn’t see another. No free fluid.

Ive been on HRT for two years on and off because of heavy periods. A tiny bit of gel and progesterone but because of heavy bleeding the dr replaced this with continuous protocol HRT as she said I was probably not doing any bleeding naturally and it was a withdrawal. The continuous HRT made me bleed heavily every two weeks so I requested a scan to rule out anything. I stopped HRT altogether at the end of June as I couldn’t cope with another period and work at the same time. I’ve had no menopausal symptoms since stopping (I did expect hot flushes etc)
I’m thinking my womb lining might have thickened ready to bleed but no bleeding yet. I don’t know if I’m bleeding naturally or HRT related.

Any reassurance would be good, I’m panicking a bit now about cancer. Thanks.

Pqow

• First Flush
Re: Worrying scan results
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2024, 10:44:58 PM »

Any advice? I just can’t sleep…

joziel

« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:56:45 AM »

Try not to worry. They refer soooo many people via this urgent pathway. It’s just protocol for a thickened lining but the vast majority of time it’s just that and nothing more. They just have to check it out.

They might offer to fit a Mirena whilst they have a look so consider that. It will thin the lining and stop all bleeding and you could restart estrogen…

If you search in the box on this forum you’ll see loads of accounts of women referred urgently due to thickened lining and it’s very rare for it to be anything serious.

Pqow

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:38:21 AM »

Thank you. I’m wondering whether to restart the HRT as I probably don’t have enough natural progesterone for a bleed. And if it’s thickened in a few weeks it might be better to have a bleed. Does anyone think this would be a good idea?

Jules

« Reply #4 on: Today at 07:31:33 AM »

What did your doctor advise? Mine told me to stop all HRT treatment until I'd had my appointment but they all give different advice and mine was for a different issue. Are you able to ask?

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:39:32 AM »

If you wanted you could take progesterone to thin it down, either sequi or conti. If you don't need the oestrogen you could stay off that so you don't build it up further. Assuming you get an appointment in 2 weeks whatever you do now won't make a lot of difference.

Pqow

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: Today at 10:30:55 AM »

What did your doctor advise? Mine told me to stop all HRT treatment until I'd had my appointment but they all give different advice and mine was for a different issue. Are you able to ask?
My GP didn’t say anything about HRT and I was a bit in shock to ask. I might call on Monday.

Pqow

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: Today at 10:32:29 AM »

If you wanted you could take progesterone to thin it down, either sequi or conti. If you don't need the oestrogen you could stay off that so you don't build it up further. Assuming you get an appointment in 2 weeks whatever you do now won't make a lot of difference.
I was wondering if it might be thick because I haven’t now had a bleed for a few weeks. I just don’t know what to do and of course I can’t help thinking it’s serious.

Pqow

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: Today at 10:33:25 AM »

I also feel very oestrogen dominant, sore breasts etc. But that also might be because a bleed would be due.

Jules

« Reply #9 on: Today at 10:35:08 AM »

My GP didn’t say anything about HRT and I was a bit in shock to ask. I might call on Monday.
Actually my doctor didnt say either. It wasn't till I requested a repeat prescription and they wouldn't do it. By then I'd about 5 days to my appointment so pretty pointless stopping
« Last Edit: Today at 01:17:58 PM by Jules »

Pqow

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: Today at 10:47:21 AM »

I have some Utrogestan in the cupboard, I could take that.

Mary G

« Reply #11 on: Today at 03:31:02 PM »

I would take a massive dose of progesterone to provoke a good bleed.  The Utrogestan should be OK used vaginally but I would be inclined to order some norethisterine online because it's a very strong, synthetic progesterone that will strip the womb lining.

I think you will find you just need a good clear out.