Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Doctor has proscribed me Estraderm instead of Evoral after dose increase?  (Read 263 times)

Berto77

I recently asked my GP to increase my HRT due to the return of my hot flushes which she reluctantly did. However when I went to collect the prescription I had been given Estraderm MX75. I have been using Evoral for 3 years now and I am happy with that brand and kind of estrogen. The estrogen in the Estaderm patches is still body identical but according to articles online it is also synthetic while the estrodiol on Evoral is made from yams.

I know the Evoral works for me, that the patchs stay stuck on and I prefer knowing it is from a natural source. Can I ask my GP to do a prescription for the Evoral 75 instead?

Evie606

Hi,
You can ask gp for Evorel specifically but you might struggle to get the patches as they can be a hit or a miss for being in stock.
I was given Estraderm instead of Evorel, it sticks well without a residue and I found it ok.
I’m now back on Evorel but to be honest I couldn’t tell the difference. Of course, you might be more susceptible to a change of patch but I have allergy/autoimmune issues and found it ok.

E x

Berto77

Hi Thanks for that, I could try them but I do get migraines a lot and prefer to not prevoke them with unnessesery changes. Also I would prefer an non synthetic form of estrogen.

Dotty

Oestrogen in patches is body identical.

If you have a combined patch then the progesterone is synthetic.

Berto77

@dotty

I would prefer an non synthetic version as in the Evoral Patches I usually use and have no issue with.

This website does not list Estraderm as Body identical https://www.onstella.com/the-latest/hrt/difference-between-bioidentical-hormones-and-body-identical-hormones/

« Last Edit: July 22, 2024, 12:18:22 PM by Emma »

Hurdity

Hi Berto

as Dotty says - ALL  HRT patches contain bio-identical oestrogen, including estraderm. All bio-identical oestrogens are synthetic in the sense that they are manufactured in a lab in a pure form, from other raw ingredients and bear no resemblance to the raw ingredients used. The HRT pharmaceutical companies will all buy in the synthesised, pure estradiol (to all intents and purposes a "chemical" powder or crystals) from a company that manufactures it from the raw ingredients - yams or soy I think?

Fear not, that site you quoted does not say  Estraderm is not bio-identical. If you look at the wording, it just gives examples of some that are! ("includes" is the word that gives this away!).

If you want the complete list of patches then best look at a site like this one - here they are:

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatafter.php

Scroll down for patches.

I have used Estraderm and now on Evorel, originally on Estradot. Estradot are tiny, Estraderm are HUGE. Personally I didn't get on with them due to the sixe and it was like having a polythene bag stuck to my butt!! I'm very happily settled on Evorel and yes you can ask for that if it is your preference though if youve already got the prescrption from the chemist then by all means use them but ask for Evorel next time?

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

Berto77

@Hurdity

Thank you for that reply that is very reassuring. I have the patch on now and as you say it isn't very comfortable and very plasticy compared to the Evoral. I will see how I get on with these and then ask the Doctor to change the prescription for next time!

Thanks again!

Dotty

Hurdity….thank you  :). I was hoping you’d be along to answer as you explain things far better than me xxx