Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Diverticular disease  (Read 546 times)

Loganberry

Diverticular disease
« on: July 04, 2024, 04:58:33 PM »

Hi ladies,
I’m looking for some help / advice / suggestions……anything really ;-) on diverticular disease.
I was at the doctors with lower pelvic pain a few months ago, was sent for ultrasound that was thankfully all clear. With my follow up chat with GP it was decided it could probably be VA, so I am giving Yes a try at the moment. The pain has now shifted somewhat to be low down on the left side and around putting pressure on the bladder area, with bloated feeling too. Does this sound more like diverticular disease and if so any advice on how I can ease the discomfort cramping pain would really be appreciated, or maybe it’s just something that will ease off in a few days or so. I do suffer from IBS so am very careful with what I eat and haven’t changed my diet. I try not to use Dr google as my HA goes into overdrive.
Many thanks for reading :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Diverticular disease
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2024, 05:45:58 PM »

Hi!  If you have VA then YES won't replace the lost oestrogen.  I suggest that you ask your GP for appropriate treatment: 'vagifem' with 'ovestin' - some find that using 'yes' or 'sylc' moisturisers will ease symptoms.  Do read the various VA threads; make notes ;-)

VA won't improve without treatment. 

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2024, 06:35:38 PM »

I have diverticulitis but you HAVE to have either a colonoscopy or a Ct colonography to get it diagnosed,if you DO have it,you MUST keep away from any foods that can get stuck in the pouches,so any seeds are a no no,I slipped up with desiccated coconut once,it brought on a flare up,which has to be treated with ABs keeping yourself "regular" is also important  :)

Ayesha

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2024, 07:24:59 PM »

I have seen my sister-in-law in extreme pain from her diverticulitis. If your GP has suggested GSM(VA) a moisturiser will be of no help alone, you will need topical oestrogen to stop it getting worse. 

Loganberry

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2024, 07:51:55 AM »

Many thanks for your replies, it’s really appreciated. I think I need to go back to my GP. I was just wondering more about diverticulosis and location of the pain etc. and other people’s experiences to see if there was anything I could or should be trying. It’s normally quite a wait for a GP appointment.
Thanks again xx

Penguin

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2024, 07:57:38 AM »

I also think they should have done a FIT test and a colonoscopy as said above, given the location of the pain seems to be  descending and sigmoid colon. An ultrasound wouldn't have shown diverticular disease. Did the GP mention whether it could be bowel rated and do you have any other symptoms of bowel issues  diarrhoea or constipation, for example?

Loganberry

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2024, 10:19:58 AM »

Hi penguin, thanks for reply.
When I initially went to the GP the pain was low and definitely more central so she concentrated on an ultrasound for the pelvic organs. She never mentioned anything about it could be bowel related. I’m a bit of a worrier so my IBS is starting to play up a bit now so things are a bit irregular at mo. My GP surgery has a holiday day so no help there today.

Penguin

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2024, 10:24:11 AM »

Central wouldn't be diverticular then, if it has moved to the left then you defo need to speak to the GP again and tell them as that is more likely bowel.

jaypo

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2024, 01:28:01 PM »

Penguin is correct,left hand side for diverticulitis but if it gets inflamed it can resonate and even press on the bladder x

Mousie

« Reply #9 on: Today at 09:32:59 AM »

I'm in the same situation. Just coming to the last test result for the pain investigation but was diagnosed with diverticulosis many years ago but never had symptoms til after the menopause and when i did thought it was something else. I did the test for H. Pylori and i had that. So that led off down the ulcer route (endoscopy showed nothing)
Lefthand lower pain is typical of diverticulitis and with mine the pain has been coming and going regularly for months. I can get a week's break of normality and then it's back for about 10 days.
I read up on it via the GUTS website and the advice about good is now old fashioned. They reckon diet makes no difference except when in a painful flare and then a liquid diet is recommended. I gather that the main thing is to have enough fibre to ensure the food moves through the gut and doesn't cause constipation.
I also joined a FB page for it and learned a lot through others experiences.
One thing wasmenyptiobed there by someone; sodium butyrate. I thought I'd give it a go and it's stopped the pain! I still can't believe it.  8 weeks on it so far.
I hope that helps. I'm still learning and the Dr is leaning towards IBS but I don't have either diarrhea or constipation.