Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Has anyone else had this as a symptom of peri/menopause?  (Read 179 times)

Helenmelon1974

Has anyone else had this as a symptom of peri/menopause?
« on: July 21, 2024, 04:24:56 PM »

So about a year ago I had a sinus infection, I'm not new to those had a few over the years, but this one didn't go with antibiotics! I had 3 months of thick discoloured mucus which only exited down the back of my throat! My nose was hardly ever blocked and I could only get rid of it by hacking it up (sorry!).

Daily antihistamines (fexofenadine 180) are what finally got rid of that part but I still get random feelings of pressure in sinus/eye areas which sometimes lead to a headache. I often have to 'pop' my ears but frequently only one will 'pop'. And I have tinnitus that happens probably 3 or 4 times a week which is a high pitched noise lasting seconds to a couple of minutes. Although I did have one occasion a few months ago that was a different noise and lasted longer! 🤷‍♀️ I also had a few bouts of vertigo that lasted 3-4 days each time a few years ago!

I have health anxiety so I do overly worry about symptoms I have. The doctor didn't seem to be worried at all but has referred me to ENT as on top of this I have had post nasal drip for many years (allergies) and have a deviated septum. I’ve had an eye test and everything was good there!

I'm 50 and well into peri but having problems with HRT due to progesterone intolerance so also awaiting a gynae appointment
« Last Edit: July 21, 2024, 04:30:12 PM by Helenmelon1974 »

bombsh3ll

Re: Has anyone else had this as a symptom of peri/menopause?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2024, 05:10:37 PM »

Vertigo was my first and only perimenopause symptom, which came on with the start of my period, presumably triggered by estrogen dropping.

I didn't even realise it was a symptom of perimenopause at the time and actually reported it as a possible side effect of a COVID vaccination that I'd had 8 days earlier!

I now know that the inner ear is sensitive to reproductive hormones and have seen many reports of vertigo and also tinnitus presenting in perimenopause.

Once I got back on my combined pill which I take continuously, it disappeared.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2024, 07:00:02 PM »

As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  Also the body may become dry: inside and out.  Eustachian tubes may narrow and allergy symptoms become more noticeable and/or problematic.

Sinus infections can be SO painful!  Glad that you will get a referral to an ENT Surgeon.  Discoloured mucus is often the sign of an infection, was a nasal swab sent for analysis so that the correct AB could be prescribed?  It may have taken 3-4 weeks of treatment to clear it!

How do U feel overall?

Helenmelon1974

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2024, 09:00:38 PM »

As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  Also the body may become dry: inside and out.  Eustachian tubes may narrow and allergy symptoms become more noticeable and/or problematic.

Sinus infections can be SO painful!  Glad that you will get a referral to an ENT Surgeon.  Discoloured mucus is often the sign of an infection, was a nasal swab sent for analysis so that the correct AB could be prescribed?  It may have taken 3-4 weeks of treatment to clear it!

How do U feel overall?

Hi CL. After 2 different lots of antibiotics swabs were done and came back as normal. I feel fine other than this, a bit of anxiety and forgetting where I put things 🤣  I’ve always had allergies so maybe it was those worsening? There’s so so many symptoms of peri and meno and here was me thinking it was just hot flushes and insomnia 🤣

Helenmelon1974

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2024, 09:03:48 PM »

Vertigo was my first and only perimenopause symptom, which came on with the start of my period, presumably triggered by estrogen dropping.

I didn't even realise it was a symptom of perimenopause at the time and actually reported it as a possible side effect of a COVID vaccination that I'd had 8 days earlier!

I now know that the inner ear is sensitive to reproductive hormones and have seen many reports of vertigo and also tinnitus presenting in perimenopause.

Once I got back on my combined pill which I take continuously, it disappeared.

I’m hoping HRT will sort it when I finally get my gynae appointment through. Thank you x

Jane456

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:03:25 AM »

I’ve had sinusitis on and off for years but since peri it’s been a constant problem.  I think the sinuses dry up and then are more prone to infection and inflammation.
My gp gave me mometasone spray to use when I had flare ups but now she’s told me to use it all the time.

discogirl

« Reply #6 on: Today at 06:29:54 AM »

Hi Helenmelon1974

I developed tinnitus 2 years ago and strangely enough I was reading this yesterday from Harvard health:

"Menopause-related estrogen decline is increasingly being linked to tinnitus as well. This may happen because estrogen helps maintain auditory pathways in the brain. It's also believed that sleep disturbances and mood changes common during menopause can worsen tinnitus"

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: Today at 07:59:25 AM »

:thankyou:  my tinnitus has been annoyingly annoying in recent weeks  >:(.  My last period was in 2002. 

Dierdre

« Reply #8 on: Today at 09:07:16 AM »

I've had all of the above and mine got much worse after covid. Ear problems including fluid, sinus and tinnitus. I was always very sensitive to dust, air fresheners and sprays which would set off my sinuses but after the first bout of covid, which I suffered in my head, it got much worse. I lost my taste and smell for weeks and it left me with tinitus.
Anti histamines help if it's caused by dust, pollen and sprays,  decongestants help with the fluid in my ears. Regular steaming over a bowl then shifts it all.The tinitus improves when the fluids have gone so it's all linked.