Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan- low mood  (Read 286 times)

FakeID

Utrogestan- low mood
« on: July 20, 2024, 03:37:41 PM »

I was using utrogestan on a 12/28 day cycle (200mg orally) was ok with it apart from spots, headaches and constipation on the utrogestan days. I could deal with that though.

I’m 55. I was advised by Newson doc to take 100mg every night. And not to take it vaginally. This turned out to be good for sleep and anxiety and the other troublesome side effects were quite rare.

A few months in however and I realise I’ve just felt flatter and flatter to the point I’m borderline depressed. I have no enthusiasm for anything or anyone and get quite down thinking about my elderly parents and other worries. I’m not much fun to live with and it’s affecting my marriage.

Now that the penny has dropped I’ve decided to stop the utrogestan for a few weeks then start again on a cycle but this time vaginally.

I’d appreciate hearing your advice/ideas and experiences on:

How long will it be before the mild depression lifts and I feel more myself?
Will my sleep be crap again if I only take Utro vaginally?
Will the anxiety creep back? I have a very stressful job and lots of worries and can get anxious.
Might I be better trying vaginally continuous?

Any other thoughts welcome. I didn’t suffer with PND or PMS much as a younger woman but I do think I’m sensitive to the Utrogestan

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Utrogestan- low mood
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2024, 04:14:45 PM »

:hug:

bombsh3ll

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2024, 01:33:07 PM »

I think the only way to know is to try different approaches and see what suits you best as long as it's protecting your lining.

At least you know you can cope with 200mg oral cyclically.

Vaginal is said to cause less side effects but the benefits on sleep are less, as these are largely mediated through oral metabolites.

Are you on any testosterone? This can also help with the mood symptoms you describe, and anecdotally allows some progesterone intolerant women to tolerate it better.

Seasidegirl

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2024, 07:35:29 AM »

Might you need to increase your oestrogen?

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2024, 07:51:54 AM »

Hello FakeID.

You don't say how much Oestrogen you are taking or by what method. I  used to be with Newson Health and I think they would advise you to increase your oestrogen.

I am surprised that your NH  doctor told you to take Utrogestan orally and not vaginally, they have always advocated the vaginal route so I wonder if there has been a change of policy?

If you experiment with a change of dose or method you may have some bleeding so be prepared for that. As for your specific questions it is difficult to give firm answers as we all react differently. Having said that someone may be along who has been in your situation and can advise you.

Let us know how you get on and take care.

K.

FakeID

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2024, 11:44:30 AM »

Thanks for the replies.

I’m on 1mg Sandrena. I was on 2mg then my oestradiol levels went up over 1,100 so I halved it. I take Tostran 3 to 4 pumps a week.

I feel fortunate to have had good treatment options. I never really had PMS or PND (apart from the days after birth  I’d feel emotional until bleeding stopped )

It just seems so complex now and as though I’m between a rock and a hard place choosing ok mood and crap sleep or good sleep with low mood