Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Using oral utrogestan vaginally  (Read 125 times)

LucyLu

• First Flush
Using oral utrogestan vaginally
« on: July 18, 2024, 01:55:48 PM »

I have been taking utrogestan orally for around a year and after getting on well with it for a while, I'm increasingly experiencing very low mood and tearfulness towards the end of the 12 day course (I'm 42 and in peri). Sometimes it's not helping my sleep either and after having an awful sleep, I feel really ill the next day due to the added drowsiness it causes.

I want to take it vaginally, but the gp sought advice from the NHS meno clinic and they apparently said it doesn't provide the same protection for the womb if used this way.

It'd be good to hear the experiences of others who use it this way. Is it OK to use the oral tablets in the absence of the pessary form?

I am at the point of considering trying the mirena coil, but worry that the constant supply of synthetic progesterone will cause more side effects.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Using oral utrogestan vaginally
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2024, 01:58:19 PM »

:welcomemm:   hopefully some1 will be along with advice !  Browse round.  Make notes.

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2024, 02:11:00 PM »

They're the same thing except the size. In the rest of Europe it's licensed for hrt orally and vaginally, it's only the UK where it's licensed solely for oral use. Though in the UK it's licensed for ivf vaginally. I and many others use it vaginally.

LucyLu

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2024, 03:12:59 PM »

Thanks for your reply Sheila99. That's reassuring to know. Do you use 2 tablets, I.e. same as the oral dose? Also, do you use an applicator? Ive looked at buying one online, but not sure if they're a standard size...

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2024, 03:18:56 PM »

It's the same dose orally or vaginally. I don't use an applicator, I just push it up as far as I can.

LucyLu

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2024, 04:08:29 PM »

I think I just need to give that a try. Do you find side effects less severe taking it vaginally?

CarolineM

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2024, 05:26:19 PM »

Hi LucyLu,

I alternate vaginal and oral, and just push it up as far as I can. Occasionally I need to wee more often the day after using it vaginally but that's not a problem. My mood seems better when alternating. Be prepared for a bit of white discharge - a liner will do the trick.

Hope it works out well for you.

Caroline

LucyLu

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2024, 08:57:36 PM »

Hi Caroline,
I can cope with the weeing, i'm constantly needing a wee anyway! What pattern of alternation do you usually do? Is it just one night one way and one the other?

sheila99

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2024, 09:13:25 PM »

I think I just need to give that a try. Do you find side effects less severe taking it vaginally?
It depends on the side effects. It avoids the digestive upsets but I still get fatigue and interrupted sleep. I take it at 11am so it's worn off a bit by the time I go to bed. Definitely worth trying though.

CarolineM

« Reply #9 on: Today at 07:00:28 AM »

Yes it's just alternate nights. I try and remember which night I've done what, but I guess writing it down would probably help!