Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Can I increase Estradiol 10mg vaginal tablets to more than twice a week?  (Read 118 times)

Swanie

• First Flush

Hi all, this is my first post so hopefully I am doing correctly. I am 59 years old, post menopausal and have been using Estradiol vaginal tablets for 7 weeks now. However, the symptoms are returning like burning and urgently needing to urinate, in particular this week. Ever since I came off daily dose for 2 weeks, I have noticed gradual return of symptoms. My next phone appointment with a gp, I found out is menopause trained, is in a week’s time-the 3 last gps I have spoken to, as I have been given a different gp each time, have all given me different information. (One said I just need to use pessaries for 2 weeks, the other who was helpful, said that I should also use Yes moisturiser and it was okay to use no more than a pea sized amount of Estriol 1mg/g if needed nightly and the third said that I was not to use Estriol cream if using pessaries as could end up with too much ) - I have tried researching for hours on the amazing Dr Louise Newson podcasts and read the fantastic Jane Lewis book, Me and my Menopausal Vagina. Also, I have been using Yes Moisturiser which helps a bit with severe vulva dryness, but last night I have a rough time having to urinate a lot and was a bit panicky about this. In short, do you think it is safe to increase Vagifem more than twice a week perhaps 3 -4, until I can get a handle on symptoms and use pea sized estriol cream on external vulva area on days between pessary if the vulva burn doesn’t get relieved with Yes moisturiser?

Ayesha

Hi Swanie and welcome!

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,69936.msg949995.html#msg949995

You should find the above link very helpful and will put you in charge of how you go forward treating GSM (VA).
My regime is exactly the same as yours except I use the treatment every day.

Swanie

• First Flush

Wow! Thank you so much Ayesha for this information. I really appreciate it. I now feel more confident in increasing and taking more than twice a week until my symptoms settle. Have a great day!

Jules

I've increased mine to 2 days on, one day off. I also use estriol externally every night and since I had a flare up I use a tiny bit mixed with Yes in the mornings too but I aim to drop the morning dose.

Swanie

• First Flush

Hi Jules, thanks for sharing what works for you. I really appreciate this.

VioletAquarius

I believe it's okay, short term, and so does my doctor, and a lot of ladies on here use it more than twice a week, some everyday.   I used to use it everyday but currently back down to 2.
According to my doctor, taking x2 vagifem a week is like taking 1 systematic pill a year....so very low dose.

It's such a low dose, hardly any gets into your system at all, although I am just a bit wary of myself personally as I've had endometriosis, currently have an endometrial cyst, and had polyps.

Swanie

• First Flush

Thanks so much for sharing your experience and replying to my post VioletAquarius. How long did you use it everyday until you went back down to twice a week?