Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Thoughts on restarting HRT?  (Read 298 times)

Fianna

• First Flush
Thoughts on restarting HRT?
« on: July 16, 2024, 07:52:38 AM »

Hi

7 years post chemo induced menopause. Been on HRT for a year. My GP advised me to stop my HRT (evorel 50 + Utrogestan 100) because of bleeding, which was getting worse.  She said if I hadn't bled after 6 weeks off it there was no need for tests and we could discuss a different HRT regime.

I actually feel better since stopping HRT tbh, but I would like the benefit of Estrogen as I have osteopenia and a family history of osteoporosis.  Plus my skin gets very dry and itchy and I have joint pains, both of which HRT improved.

Does anyone have advice on what I should try or whether I should abandon HRT? I tried lots of contraceptive pills when I was younger and all of them made me miserable, mini pill was worse which makes me think I'm going to struggle to find a progesterone which suits me. I had a holiday ruined by taking norethisterone to miss a period - truly terrifying effect!

Any thoughts or advice please?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Thoughts on restarting HRT?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2024, 08:36:09 AM »

Monring.  As oestrogen levels drop the muscles may become lax = aches and pains as well as the body may become dry: inside and out  ::),  when did U actually stop using it?

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2024, 08:56:20 AM »

You could increase to 200 utro daily but the most effective way to stop problem bleeding is a mirena. Have you tried cyclical to see if it's the utro that causing you to feel not so good? How old are you and in what way do you feel better off it?

joziel

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2024, 09:22:56 AM »

It doesn't really sound like your GP knows very much if their single go-to solution when 100mg of utrogestan wasn't working, was to tell you to stop HRT. For that reason alone, I'd be looking for another GP or seeing a private menopause clinic going forwards. You are just going to hit roadblock after roadblock trying to make a GP work beyond their level of knowledge and competence.

If you were bleeding on 100mg utrogestan, the first thing to try would be to increase that to 200mg and even 300mg (which is what I take). If none of that worked, then you could have tried any number of progestins including the combination patch if you were just on 50mcg estrogen (as that's the dose in the combo patch), norethisterone, cerazette, and more. If none of THOSE worked, then there is also the Mirena coil which almost always stops all bleeding no matter how much E you need to use.

Seeing your GP failed at the first hurdle here and appeared not to know anything about all these options, I'd be looking for another GP...

Fianna

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2024, 12:10:57 PM »

I'm 53, I stopped HRT 5 weeks ago and have felt less tired and have more energy since plus improved mood.

I tried 200mg Utrogestan but it was like taking night nurse - very groggy, I couldn't work or drive safely like that.  I tried vaginally and oral and a combination of both too.

TheGP only wanted me to stop for 6weeks to check the bleeding is caused by the HRT and doesn’t need further investigation.  I have to ring her now to discuss an alternative regime.

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2024, 12:44:51 PM »

Utro has a similar effect on me and for that reason I'm on long cycle (6 week) sequi which gives me more time off it. It's 200mg but for 12 days instead of daily. They told me there's a slightly higher risk of endometrial cancer this way but I'll take that over being permanently doped. Cyclogest seems to cause fewer problems but it's licensed for ivf not hrt so your gp may not prescribe it.

bombsh3ll

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2024, 05:57:26 PM »

What about tibolone? Bleed free, progesterone free and great for bone health.