Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Estrogel, Hayfever & Antibiotics  (Read 101 times)

Tiggy

• First Flush
Estrogel, Hayfever & Antibiotics
« on: July 14, 2024, 05:37:47 PM »

Hi all I am really hoping someone can give me a little guidance.

I am currently on estrogel transdermal gel (3 pumps daily) as an HRT and testosterone (A dot daily) and I have been taking antihistamines on and off all year for hayfever. I recently had a bacterial sinus infection and was put on Amoxicillion 500mg antibiotics for one week, during which time I came off the antihistamines as didn't want to mix. While taking them my menopause symptoms seemed to have crept back. (Brain fog, confusion, forgetfulness, irritability and worrying about the silliest thing. I am sleeping fine though.)

I have now been off the antibiotics for 5 days but the symptoms have not gone away it's almost like my hrt isn't working fully as it did. I was advised by a pharmacist that amoxicillin can weaken the effect of the hrt gel.

Has anyone experienced this or any knowledge of how long it can take for my body to get back to normal. Can antihistamines themselves affect hrt? Can hayfever give simular symptoms :-s

Looking forward to any advice.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Estrogel, Hayfever & Antibiotics
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2024, 07:23:30 PM »

Hi.    :welcomemm:  When I was on The Pill and prescribed a hay fever product, I had break-through bleeding. 

Antibiotics can affect gut transit which may also affect uptake of food stuffs and medications.

Many years ago I began using locally produced honey in about mid-Jan., which really did help my hay fever.  I am affected by willow pollen as well as oil seed rape which makes my chest tighten. 

I also had a sinus infection in the mid-1970s, it was like being hung over for no reason  :o and very painful.

Browse round.