Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan and late period  (Read 110 times)

monster85

• First Flush
Utrogestan and late period
« on: July 13, 2024, 04:36:51 AM »

Cyclical utrogestan and late period.

I’m taking HRT for PMDD (severe PMS). I’ve just finished the 3rd month of oestrogel and utrogestan. I had a really awful experience with utrogestan this month and will be discussing with the GP but they’re about as much help as a chocolate tea pot. My period is now 3 days late which doesn’t sound a lot but my periods have ALWAYS been clockwork. More than anything I’m now confused about when I’m meant to take the progesterone, especially if my period doesn’t even come this month? I had pains 4 days ago but nothing since. Should I take it on day 14 of my usual cycle? I’m a bit worried it’s not protecting my womb enough 😞

K45

Re: Utrogestan and late period
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2024, 07:49:12 PM »

Since starting utrogestan I've been early, late and completely missed this month. My GP advised to just stick to the 14 days off 14 days on regime regardless. It's rather disconcerting when you're used to your regular cycle and then it's all over the place. Apparently it's normal in perimenopause and some people on cyclical hrt never get withdrawal bleeds.

bombsh3ll

Re: Utrogestan and late period
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2024, 08:10:43 PM »

In my experience cyclical HRT is not a good way to treat PMDD or any condition that is aggravated by the fluctuations of a menstrual cycle.

If you wanted to artificially induce PMDD in a non menstruating population, think about how this could be done - yes, cyclical HRT!

Have you looked into options that include shutting down your own hormones and adding back a consistent daily dose to keep you on an even keel?

I use Zoely, which I take continuously, but there are other options if you can't or don't want to take a combined pill.

Regarding erratic bleeding on cyclical HRT - this is common and doesn't mean the progesterone isn't effectively protecting your endometrium.

Just because it isn't dangerous though this doesn't mean you have to put up with it, and if it continues I would look into other options, some of which are completely bleed free.