Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hiatus Hernia/Indigestion/Backache  (Read 1059 times)

Penguin

Re: Hiatus Hernia/Indigestion/Backache
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2024, 03:05:44 PM »

I'm having problems again. Had a bad and long episode of reflux and then last night woke with what I'd describe as crescendo pain in my stomach, burning that builds up and subsides. I also have a hunger feeling so eat but that aggravates it more. I'm going to up the omeprazole as I've started taking it again.  Has anyone else had this?

Is that rebound acid from temporarily stopping the ppi? Did you wean off or stop suddenly? I was only on mine for less than two months for gastritis but the ppi itself caused rebound reflux (which I'd never had before) when I first tried to stop it. You may need to wean off gradually. Also wondering what time of day you take it? When weaning off I switched to just taking at night so I was comfortable lying down. I found the rebound acid easier to deal with when awake and upright.

Jules

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2024, 06:41:19 PM »

I'm having problems again. Had a bad and long episode of reflux and then last night woke with what I'd describe as crescendo pain in my stomach, burning that builds up and subsides. I also have a hunger feeling so eat but that aggravates it more. I'm going to up the omeprazole as I've started taking it again.  Has anyone else had this?

Is that rebound acid from temporarily stopping the ppi? Did you wean off or stop suddenly? I was only on mine for less than two months for gastritis but the ppi itself caused rebound reflux (which I'd never had before) when I first tried to stop it. You may need to wean off gradually. Also wondering what time of day you take it? When weaning off I switched to just taking at night so I was comfortable lying down. I found the rebound acid easier to deal with when awake and upright.

I dont know but yes I did stop suddenly because the consultant and GP said I could do and didnt need to  wean off. However Ive started taking them again and have also got a weaker dose which I am going to move onto. The GP said if I get the symptoms again when I stop I may just need the medication. I take my medicine in the morning but I will swap to evening and see if that helps. My stomach has settled just at the moment but Im dreading being woken again with it tonight as Im shattered after last night and it's so painful. It's the sort of pain I had when I had an ulcer.

Penguin

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2024, 06:51:54 PM »

Gosh I think that is really poor advice about not weaning off, even just by doing alternate days then every three days etc. Rebound acid is a known thing when stopping these meds so I'd definitely go slowly. If you take one tonight, perhaps also take gaviscon advance right before bed and prop yourself up a bit (I bought a wedge pillow from amazon which did help a bit) and I'd do daily now until the burn goes (so you don't hurt your tummy lining) then try alternating days. Are you on lowest dose available of the ppi? When I was researching how to come off it safely, forum users were talking about breaking open the capsule and taking a small amount out each day so your body gets slowly used to having less. It can be prescribed in capsules, tablets or liquid so perhaps you could ask GP for liquid or capsule if you've been given the tablet form. Even the NHS website says that symptoms may come back if you stop suddenly and if you have been on them a long time then you may need to come off them gradually.

Jules

« Reply #18 on: Today at 07:27:03 AM »

I was on 20mg daily but I've now been given 10mg to try. I was concerned that I had caused damage to my oesophagus with such a prolonged episode and then obviously to my stomach especially as that's what started the whole saga of referral,  tests and diagnosis of disease caused by acid reflux. And to have got the symptoms under control and be told after so long that I don't have that disease afterall it was upsetting to think I may have caused harm. Both the professor and GP told me I could stop. I'd been taken them for about 18 months. Thankfully I have been ok during the night. I took 10mg omeprazole and used gaviscon at bedtime. I'm going to drop as you say gradually and if I need to take them routinely I will as I don't want those symptoms. I've learned through this last 2 years that you can't trust a doctor, they all give different and conflicting info.

Penguin

« Reply #19 on: Today at 07:55:03 AM »

I was on 20mg daily but I've now been given 10mg to try. I was concerned that I had caused damage to my oesophagus with such a prolonged episode and then obviously to my stomach especially as that's what started the whole saga of referral,  tests and diagnosis of disease caused by acid reflux. And to have got the symptoms under control and be told after so long that I don't have that disease afterall it was upsetting to think I may have caused harm. Both the professor and GP told me I could stop. I'd been taken them for about 18 months. Thankfully I have been ok during the night. I took 10mg omeprazole and used gaviscon at bedtime. I'm going to drop as you say gradually and if I need to take them routinely I will as I don't want those symptoms. I've learned through this last 2 years that you can't trust a doctor, they all give different and conflicting info.

Oh I'm so glad you were okay during the  night. Is your 10mg a capsule? In which case you can reduce very slowly by opening it if you need to, that way you'll get some every night..
I think you've said previously that your diet is good now, so hopefully you'll be okay during the day. I really don't think you've anything to worry about with it coming back for such a short period of time. It takes a long time for damage to build up and lead to cell changes. Plus you are back managing it now so it will hopefully be gone again very soon. From all that I'd read at the time, the body does end up adjusting when you come off the ppi, you just need to manage the interim.

Jules

« Reply #20 on: Today at 10:40:07 AM »

Okay thanks.  I thought capsules were such for a reason though so not sure about opening them. It always tells you not to chew. But I'm going to go slowly. I still feel gas or acid bubbling in my throat but no stomach pain. I can't help but worry with the stuff I was originally told.  I don't totally believe everything is normal and I'm hyper alert to any sensation now.

Dandelion22

« Reply #21 on: Today at 01:34:11 PM »

Sorry you have been suffering again Jules. I stopped taking the Lanseroprazole about 10 days ago and have not had indigestion since.  I can feel some acid in my throat in the mornings but Just stopped taking them without tapering off so could be rebound? I took them for 8 weeks. I am still really careful what I eat, I am not sure if the ppi has altered my gut and it may take time to go back to normal.  I have my endoscopy on Monday to check my stomach ulcer has healed and have lots of questions for them! My Dad took omeprazole for over 30 yrs and never had an issue but I just don’t think they work for me.  I am still concerned my GP prescribed me 80 mg of Omeprazole without me even having a diagnosis so will raise that at my appt as well.
Pages: 1 [2]