Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Coil and gel - nausea and anxiety  (Read 250 times)

HighlandGirl

• First Flush
Coil and gel - nausea and anxiety
« on: July 10, 2024, 10:31:38 AM »

Hi everyone,

I got the coil in three weeks ago. After a week of it being in I started taking one pump of oestrogel. Then after another week I started taking two pumps of gel (last Tuesday). Since Friday I have been SO anxious and warm/sweaty with a bit of nausea. But yesterday the nausea was really bad.

Do you think it could be the gel - maybe I went up too quickly? Or could it be the coil? I’ve been spotting really lightly but the last couple of days it’s turned into a proper period, though much lighter than I usually have. Has anyone experienced this from either before? Does it ease or get better?

I’ve not taken any gel today to see if that helps ease it. Just feel so miserable - felt awful before starting HRT and now I feel awful on it.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Coil and gel - nausea and anxiety
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2024, 11:03:16 AM »

:welcomemm:  what was the advice given for the HRT prescribed?  It mayB that two pumps is too much right now.  Why did U decide to try HRT, which symptom would you like to ease first?

Hopefully some1 with info about the Mirena will be along with advice.

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use. 

HighlandGirl

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2024, 05:53:09 PM »

Thanks for replying!

I had originally been on one pump of gel and utrogestan. The utrogestan didn’t agree with me though so I ended up going private and was told that the dose of oestrogen was likely too low (my oestradiol was 106) and she recommended the coil and two or even three pumps of gel.

My main symptoms that are giving me bother are fatigue, low energy, brain fog and dizziness. I do have others but those are the ones that get me down.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2024, 06:17:57 PM »

Hi Highlandgirl

:welcomemm: from me too.

Sorry to hear you're still feeling rough.

Depending how long you have been without gel before restarting - it may be that you have increased too quickly. Some women absorb very effectively even from one pump and depending on your height/weight it may be that you do too though the spot blood test you had doesn't indicate that's the case.

You haven't said how old you are or where in menopause re cycles (before starting HRT), or how long you'd been on HRT before changing.... these all have a bearing on you might feel.

However I would go with it if you can, and see whether it settles, or can you reduce to say a pump and a half by discarding some, just so that you increase the dose very gradually to let your body acclimatise to the new dose before increasing again?

Sorry I can;t be of more help and hope you feel better soon!

Hurdity x

HighlandGirl

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2024, 06:29:22 AM »

Thanks for replying! I started gel (one pump) at the start of April and finished it middle of May. Had my blood test done in mid June so had been off the gel for a full month.

Then restarted on 25th June so there was over a month gap. I’m only 5ft5 and weigh 8 stone so I’d never really thought about my side affecting how much I need.

I’m 39. Still having monthly cycles and have been experiencing severe symptoms since November but it probably started a couple of years ago.

Think I’ll go back down to one pump and see how I feel. That’s good advice to try a half pump as an inbetween if I do feel I need to go up. I didn’t have any gel yesterday and did feel a little better so hopefully it is just a bit too much oestrogen that’s been causing it! Would be gutted if it’s the coil since I’d like to stick with it.

Suziemc

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2024, 09:15:57 AM »

In regards to half a pump.....I bought some cheap jewellers scales from amazon so that I can weigh my dose. It makes adding half a dose easy 😀

HighlandGirl

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2024, 01:25:19 PM »

In regards to half a pump.....I bought some cheap jewellers scales from amazon so that I can weigh my dose. It makes adding half a dose easy 😀

This is great advice. Thank you!