Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Heavy periods, newbie here.  (Read 720 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New here, I'm not alone
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2024, 03:19:18 PM »

We have had a good GP Surgery for years, he and I are the same age.  ;)

If I am asked what I need to C a medic for, when necessary I tell them 'tis' personal' or that our GP is following up other appts..  The reason n our Surgery is to triage so that if a GP appt isn't necessary in that we can see a Nurse Practitioner ....... who have prescribing powers.  Also the Surgery Pharmacist also took over the annual medication check which is done by telephone . 

I needed to C our GP earlier this year and was asked if it was urgent or could I wait 3 weeks.  There is an option to book on line but due to the Surgery changing their computer system or something technical I can no longer use my Password  :-\.  I go to the Desk ...... and draw myself up to my full height of 5ft 1"  ;D

Felicity1

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2024, 02:55:35 PM »

HI,
  I could tell you are a friendly and warm person. Nice to meet you in person, oops , I mean in this visual.. women's cafe. No,  forum.   There is a Menopause Cafe, but they tend to move around to other towns and cities, where women get to open about the Menopause. Nothing in my area.
My periods suddenly heavy this weekend, came back with a vengeance with clots too.  :( Like to go out, but feel like chatting and explore..

CLKD

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2024, 03:39:58 PM »

I'm much older so been there, done that  ;D.  Any1 visiting here can put experiences, symptoms forward for others to read: take what is appropriate and shelf the other ideas for later should they be necessary.

I had clots++.  Double pads, etc..  Get those feet up ;-)

Felicity1

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2024, 06:10:26 PM »

Wondering if I should create a new post for heavy periods or stay on here?   Yep. Still new here, exploring the sites, forums... 
Anyway, got GP appointment next week. Also spoke to 111 doc, just be sure I can take Tranexamic acid, because they have helped me in the past. Nothing on tele.. Oh, Mcdonald and Dodds  back on ITV. Might watch that later.  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2024, 06:48:22 PM »

Tranexamic acid is to ease long, heavy periods ......... what did the Doctor suggest?

You can continue on here by altering the subject line above:  go into the 'modify' word then U can alter the heading.  That way I won't become lost  :D ;D

AngelaH

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2024, 08:07:09 PM »

It depends how heavy periods are. Tranexamic acid worked for me at the beginning and then it stopped helping me. I was on waiting list for hospital app, so was given emergency progesterone tablets to stop bleedings immediately until I could be seen by gynaecologist, after that I was fitted with Mirena coil in the hospital and I went through peri for another couple of years completely symptoms free.

Felicity1

Re: Heavy periods, newbie here.
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2024, 08:08:44 PM »

Hi again. I think I've changed the title.  Wow, exploring around, I didn't know this website existed for quite a while. Wished I came here a few years ago. I didn't have the nerve to go to the doctors,  because of the COVID lockdown.  I could have asked questions and gained some knowledge, advice from others etc..  Hopefully sort out the present and look forward to the future. Sometimes feeling down in the dumps.

Felicity1

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2024, 08:22:33 PM »

Hi AngelaH and others..
                I will ask the GP to see what she say. Another option.   How would you know if you period is coming to an end, missing periods, slowly less bleeding every month? I have read with the coil, you can get some spotting, cramp and some bleeding.  Never had children,  will  it be uncomfortable, any pain? Like cervical screening?  Smear tests ok, depending on the nurse.  :o

Felicity1

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2024, 09:15:06 PM »

My heavy periods started around Covid19.   Heavy for a few days, then lighter. Sometimes with big clots. Only last month and this month, periods are closer and spotting. I read a lot about Menopause, but nothing on Perimenopause or transition. Just started reading about it this year.
Had a scan a few months ago and GP told me I have a small fibroids. Two GPs tole me it is small and when I reach menopause it will shrink.
AngelaH-How long did you take your Tranexamic acid for?  Are you post menopause now?

AngelaH

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2024, 09:26:42 PM »

How would you know if you period is coming to an end, missing periods, slowly less bleeding every month?
Periods become irregular, mine disappeared for 3 months, then came back very heavy, then again disappeared and came back as non stop bleedings for months. When Mirena was fitted I had a little spotting, but not for long. Mirena is a contraceptive, so it is suitable for those who never had children. When I was fitted I had hysteroscopy, biopsy was taken and Mirena coil was fitted the same time, so everything was done for me in the hospital by gynaecologist, I did not feel any pain, it was done quickly and easily. Because you don’t have children it is possible you may feel uncomfortable during moving things through cervix canal, in this case you need to talk to doctors, I am sure they take such things in to consideration first.

AngelaH

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2024, 09:36:18 PM »

Had a scan a few months ago and GP told me I have a small fibroids. Two GPs tole me it is small and when I reach menopause it will shrink.
AngelaH-How long did you take your Tranexamic acid for?  Are you post menopause now?
Fibroids may cause heavy bleeding and irregular spottings too.

Tranexamic acid worked for me for about 2-3 weeks only, not really long. Yes, I am post meno now, I had Mirena for 5 years, went through peri, meno and reached post meno, Mirena was removed just only couple of weeks ago.

Pages: 1 [2]