Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Mirena Coil & Utrogestan to Stop Daily Bleeding?  (Read 91 times)

Cupcake100

• First Flush
Mirena Coil & Utrogestan to Stop Daily Bleeding?
« on: July 10, 2024, 11:29:00 AM »

Hello :)

I'm currently taking Estrogel daily (4 pumps) and had a Mirena coil fitted to try and stop my heavy periods.

Unfortunately, the heavy periods have been replaced by constant light bleeding (everyday for over a year since the coil was fitted!!!).

My GP just prescribed me a daily 100mg dose of Utrogestan to boost my progtestone levels and try and stop the bleeding.

I took Utrogestan (for two weeks every month) before the Mirena coil was fitted and it didn't help with the bleeding, but did make me 'low in mood', so reluctant to try a daily dose.... I would prefer to go straight for an ablation, but the GP wants me to try this first.

Has Mirena + Utrogestan stopped daily bleeding for anyone else?

ps I have had US scans to rule out any other issues.

bombsh3ll

Re: Mirena Coil & Utrogestan to Stop Daily Bleeding?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2024, 12:03:52 PM »

If the daily 100mg dose of utrogestan would be lower than the what you were taking cyclically it is worth trying, especially if you take it vaginally - this reduces side effects in some and also delivers a higher concentration to the uterus.

Ablation is not without complications, it doesn't negate the need for a progestogen with hormone therapy and as is now being discovered makes investigation of any future bleeding or concerns about endometrial cancer very difficult as the cavity is full of scarring.

Whilst a good option for some, it is not one I would rush to have.

If the progesterone plus mirena is not effective or tolerated, desogestrel 150mcg daily (2 x cerazette pills) may be another option.

GraceM

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2024, 12:12:17 PM »

Your oestrogen dose is high and oestrogen is the hormone that causes the lining of the womb to build up.  Perhaps the solution is to reduce that.  I was on 50mg patch (equal to 2 pumps gel) and utrogestan.  The utrogestan was never enough to ease the bleeding.  So I reduced to a 25mg patch.  I got the coil last year.  Bleeding was much lighter but I was still getting periods.  After 6 months I tried increasing the patch to 50mg to help with other symptoms.  I had 2 cycles with increased bleeding and cramps so I reduced to 25mg again and that's where I've stayed.  Clearly for me oestrogen = bleeding and I'd rather less bleeding.  It does mean that other symptoms are not fully eradicated but its a trade I am willing to make.

Cupcake100

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2024, 12:23:00 PM »

Thank you so much GraceM and Bombsh3ll, for all the helpful info. It is so good to be able to ask these kind of questions in a such supportive and informed environment.
x