Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Now what do I do FGS 🤣  (Read 585 times)

Helenmelon1974

Now what do I do FGS 🤣
« on: July 09, 2024, 01:24:33 PM »

Me again! I’ve posted before as I’ve had severe mental issues with progesterone (Mirena and Evorel Conti) so my GP was going to contact gynae re 3 monthly progesterone or vaginal Utro. Not knowing how long it would take for them to get back to her I was given Evorel 50 and utrogestan to trial as I hadn’t used it and it’s more bio identical etc. I was told to take daily but I’ve since had a period so obviously need to take the Utro cyclically.

Anyway, I’m on day 7 of Evorel and feeling okay, slept a full nights sleep last night and I can’t remember the last time that happened!! But I’ve just seen on my notes that gynae want me to have a scan and I will receive an appointment in the post. So should I stop HRT now until I have the scan?  Carry on and start the Utro on day 15? Just carry on with Evorel 50?

And yes I have horrendous health anxiety (incase that wasn’t obvious! 🤣)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Now what do I do FGS 🤣
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2024, 02:39:58 PM »

Carry on.  When U get your appt. ring the Dept and ask what their protocol might be, reminding them how often appts are cancelled these days.  If something is working ........ stick with it?

How do U get access to your medical notes and why wasn't this discussed with you?

Helenmelon1974

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2024, 03:04:01 PM »

Carry on.  When U get your appt. ring the Dept and ask what their protocol might be, reminding them how often appts are cancelled these days.  If something is working ........ stick with it?

How do U get access to your medical notes and why wasn't this discussed with you?

I’m fine with the Oestrogem, it’s when I add the progesterone that I have awful MH problems. I haven’t added that to this trial yet so don’t know how I’m going to react yet.

I have the nhs app so I can see everything on there, the scan is to check the lining of my womb to see if I can go ahead on having the progesterone 3 monthly x

bombsh3ll

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2024, 03:08:20 PM »

There's never any need to stop HRT whilst waiting for a scan.

Also I don't understand why you would need a scan BEFORE starting a reduced progesterone regime, unless you have existing bleeding problems that need to be investigated.

The purpose of having follow up scans when on a lower than standard amount of progesterone e.g. taking it every 3 months like you mentioned, is to check your endometrium remains thin whilst taking the treatment.

Typically the scan would be done after several months of the off label regime.

Helenmelon1974

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2024, 03:13:52 PM »

There's never any need to stop HRT whilst waiting for a scan.

Also I don't understand why you would need a scan BEFORE starting a reduced progesterone regime, unless you have existing bleeding problems that need to be investigated.

The purpose of having follow up scans when on a lower than standard amount of progesterone e.g. taking it every 3 months like you mentioned, is to check your endometrium remains thin whilst taking the treatment.

Typically the scan would be done after several months of the off label regime.

It sounds like they want to see what my normal thickness is before they give the go ahead to start. I thought they would just say to start a do a follow up scan too. I’ve had no symptoms of any kind regarding abnormal bleeding etc 🤷‍♀️

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2024, 04:47:15 PM »

Many have problems with the progesterone part of a regime  :-\  :(

Helenmelon1974

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2024, 05:07:17 PM »

Many have problems with the progesterone part of a regime  :-\  :(.

It makes me not want to bother with HRT. I’m currently giving my diet a massive overhaul and starting regular brisk walks as my 50 year check up showed pre hypertension and slightly high cholesterol (the last 18 months has been awful and I’ve not been looking after myself). I wonder if that would make me feel better and I could manage without HRT but I keep reading posts saying if we don’t do HRT we’ll die of heart disease early or break bones etc ☹️

Nas

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2024, 05:18:33 PM »

Ignore the posts that say we are going to die of heart disease etc etc without HRT. Total rubbish and scaremongering. HRT doesn’t replace anywhere near the amount of oestrogen that we produce in our youth. It is simply there to help manage troublesome symptoms, to allow us to function and work etc.

Many women don’t or cant take HRT; but we will all die of something eventually. 

sheila99

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2024, 07:16:31 PM »

If you're still peri a baseline scan is meaningless as the thickness will depend on where you are in your cycle. Best done just after a bleed though you probably won't get the choice.

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2024, 07:42:09 PM »

I'm still puzzled as to why you are being called for a scan? The 3 monthly long-cycle regime has greatly fallen out of favour, when a trial ( don't ask me to find it!) showed higher incidence of endometrial hyperplasia and maybe endometrial cancer on this regime (if I recall correctly) so docs probably don't want to take the risk. However if you are going to be monitored by the GP or gynae because you are progesterone intolerant then they may sanction this. As sheila says a random scan is meaningless and if you receive a date I would suggest you phone to change the appointment - there is always provision for this if you can't make it, and try to give a date about 7 days after stopping the utrogestan. Even this can be tricky because if you don't bleed or have much to bleed the lining will start to thicken again which is what happened to me - 9 mm on Day 7 or something, though nothing sinister found...

Do preservere if you can - it's honestly the best thing I've done - starting HRT patches late peri-menopause and staying on them ( more or less) for the past 16 years.

Don't despair!

Hurdity x

Helenmelon1974

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2024, 01:03:36 PM »

Well it turns out it had been wrongly documented on my notes and actually just having a face to face with gynae. Appointment will come in the post! 🙄

Helenmelon1974

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2024, 08:02:38 AM »

Ignore the posts that say we are going to die of heart disease etc etc without HRT. Total rubbish and scaremongering. HRT doesn’t replace anywhere near the amount of oestrogen that we produce in our youth. It is simply there to help manage troublesome symptoms, to allow us to function and work etc.

Many women don’t or cant take HRT; but we will all die of something eventually.

Hi Nas,

I was just looking through the alternatives board and saw you posted last year about using diet and exercise instead of HRT. How have you got on?

I had my 50 year check a couple of weeks ago in which my blood pressure was in pre hypertension 134/84 and my cholesterol is slightly high so obviously I am now on a diet overhaul and going out walking most days so I’m leaving the HRT on the back burner now and seeing how it goes with just the lifestyle changes!

Helen x

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2024, 08:05:21 AM »

Helenmelon1974 - that's medical negligence .  Were the comments removed from your medical history?  Let us know how you get on.

Helenmelon1974

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2024, 08:24:24 AM »

I'm still puzzled as to why you are being called for a scan? The 3 monthly long-cycle regime has greatly fallen out of favour, when a trial ( don't ask me to find it!) showed higher incidence of endometrial hyperplasia and maybe endometrial cancer on this regime (if I recall correctly) so docs probably don't want to take the risk. However if you are going to be monitored by the GP or gynae because you are progesterone intolerant then they may sanction this. As sheila says a random scan is meaningless and if you receive a date I would suggest you phone to change the appointment - there is always provision for this if you can't make it, and try to give a date about 7 days after stopping the utrogestan. Even this can be tricky because if you don't bleed or have much to bleed the lining will start to thicken again which is what happened to me - 9 mm on Day 7 or something, though nothing sinister found...

Do preservere if you can - it's honestly the best thing I've done - starting HRT patches late peri-menopause and staying on them ( more or less) for the past 16 years.

Don't despair!

Hurdity x

It’s actually just a face to face appointment with gynae! So I’m gonna carry on with the Evorel 50 and vaginal Utrogestan for the 12 days each cycle. That way I’ve already tried (hopefully successfully!) that regime as I assume that’s the first thing they’d try anyway!

Thank you for your comments and support

Helen x

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2024, 11:20:19 AM »

Let us know how you get on. 
Pages: [1] 2