Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Questions regarding Periods?  (Read 150 times)

Jenn28fl

• First Flush
Questions regarding Periods?
« on: July 08, 2024, 01:59:07 PM »

I am sorry if I have asked a question already asked a million times.  I have been regular for pretty much all my life with few exceptions.  No Birth Control in the last 12 years, as I had my tubes tied etc.  In May I had my cycle, and it was normal.  It was 7 weeks before I got my next cycle, and it has currently lasted for about 18 days.  From what I have read in similar posts, this is normal.  Which I kind of knew, but curious, does HRT help?  I go to the doctor on the 17th, was supposed to go on the 3rd, but grandchild was born, so was on grannie duty.  I have been told about the Pellets, and also, does this last few weeks send me the message that i am in perimenapause and will quit soon?  I am over it LOL

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Questions regarding Periods?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2024, 02:47:47 PM »

Periods wax and wane: sometimes women finish; end off, others have long gaps between bleeds. This can go on for several years, I think I was 3 years B4 they disappeared  ::)

Many will not require HRT. For those with no symptoms, they won't even think about replacement. Do read the 'bladder issues' and threads about vaginal atrophy.  I haven't needed HRT but after several years developed VA which is eased by using appropriate internal treatment.

:welcomemm: brown round.  Make notes.  Ask away. 

bombsh3ll

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2024, 03:32:11 PM »

Yes it is normal, yes it tells you that you are in perimenopause but what nobody can tell you is when it will stop - unless you choose treatment that makes it stop.

(Not to make any assumptions about your age - I know a 35 year old granny - but this is normal if you are mid forties or older.)

With reference to pellets, I don't know your location but they don't tend to be used in the UK - once it is in you can't reverse it so personally I would steer clear of pellets especially as a first line treatment.

There are plenty of treatment options, and you don't need patent tubes to use birth control to treat symptoms if indicated. It can be an extremely good method to either regulate or eliminate bleeding depending on your needs.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2024, 08:01:20 AM »

I am sorry if I have asked a question already asked a million times.  I have been regular for pretty much all my life with few exceptions.  No Birth Control in the last 12 years, as I had my tubes tied etc.  In May I had my cycle, and it was normal.  It was 7 weeks before I got my next cycle, and it has currently lasted for about 18 days.  From what I have read in similar posts, this is normal.  Which I kind of knew, but curious, does HRT help?  I go to the doctor on the 17th, was supposed to go on the 3rd, but grandchild was born, so was on grannie duty.  I have been told about the Pellets, and also, does this last few weeks send me the message that i am in perimenapause and will quit soon?  I am over it LOL

Hi Jenn28fl

:welcomemm: from me too!

You haven't said how old you are but peri-menopause is defined medically are beginning when cycles vary by 7 days between cycles. One missed period isn't necessarily peri-menopause but depending on your age may well be, especially if you are 45 or over, but not to be ruled out if younger.

I presume you are going to the doctor because of the bleeding, due to it lasting a long time?

Re your question, does HRT help - again I presume you are asking this because of the bleeding? In the absence of other peri-menopausal symptoms if you are just wanting to minimise bleeding  or regulate the cycle then  the two best ways are the Mirena coil (which can be used both for birth control which you don't need, as well as the progestogen part of HRT), or the birth control pill. There are two designed for peri-menopause which contain bio-identcial oestrogen - estradiol. They are ZOELY and QLAIRA. Qlaira contains overall a higher dose of oestrogen, which may be better if you are younger. Both of these suppress the cycle - and so avoid the erratic fluctuations in oestrogen and progesterone that cause so many problems for some women during peri-menopause, but give you extra oestrogen.

The Mirena just stops the bleeding - and often stops periods for some women. Oestorogen can then be added at the dose that suits you, although as yet you may not need oestrogen supplementation. depending on your symptoms.

HRT does not suppress the cycle so some women find in peri-menopause that they continue to get irregular bleeding on a low dose but could be worth a try eg cyclical Femoston 1 mg which seems to be well tolerated. Eventually as you move further into peri-menopause the bleeds should become mostly regular and synced with HRT.

Finally although all women are different, the stages of peri-menopause tend to follow a pattern but last for several years so it is good that you are aware of it at an early stage!

In the meantime here is an article about peri-menopause you might find helpful:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x