Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Which form of HRT?  (Read 564 times)

jaydee

Which form of HRT?
« on: July 08, 2024, 07:06:55 PM »

I’m 70 years old and have been on HRT for 28 years……..no intention of coming off it.  However reading some of the posts I think I may need to change to patches?  I’m currently on sequential 2 pumps of oestrogel and two hundred of Utrogestan for 14 days per 28 week cycle.  I’ve tried continuous but had breakthrough bleeding, after which the consultant suggested I go back to sequential.  Any advice?

Dotty

Re: Which form of HRT?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2024, 07:07:55 PM »

Hi why do you feel you need to change to patches?

If you’re happy with gel then stay on it xxx

jaydee

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2024, 01:39:08 PM »

I thought most ‘older’ women were on patches?  I also have my bleed while I’m still taking the progesterone……usually around day 8, 9 or 10.

bombsh3ll

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2024, 03:12:45 PM »

No need to change if you are happy!

You are also probably biologically far younger than the age on your passport having replaced your estrogen since menopause.

Dotty

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2024, 04:12:11 PM »

Gel is the same as patches just in a different form.  If you’re happy, you don’t need to change.

Cassie

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2024, 04:20:52 PM »

I would stay on the gel, why change it if its working for you. My gynae told me women can take it as long as they feel they want to. As for bleeds if you happy with that still, thats perfect. Do you get a reasonable bleed?

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2024, 07:12:01 PM »

I'm staying on sequi because of utro side effects. They told me there's a slightly higher risk of endometrial cancer compared to conti. They weren't able to tell me how much the increase was. I'll take the risk as it me time off utro but if you don't get side effects from it the calculation may be different for you (and perhaps consider that all forms of cancer are more likely the older we get). In your shoes I would try conti again. They say bleeding can be expected in the first 3-6 months of a new conti routine.  How long did you try it for last time? You don't have to change to patches, you can take 100 mg utro daily alongside the gel.

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2024, 08:02:56 PM »

I’m 70 years old and have been on HRT for 28 years……..no intention of coming off it.  However reading some of the posts I think I may need to change to patches?  I’m currently on sequential 2 pumps of oestrogel and two hundred of Utrogestan for 14 days per 28 week cycle.  I’ve tried continuous but had breakthrough bleeding, after which the consultant suggested I go back to sequential.  Any advice?

Hey jaydee - you're in good company - another septuagenarian here, still on cyclical HRT. Yes I am on patches but the advice is that post 60 ideally one should be on transdermal HRT - which is a patch gel or spray, rather than tablets and if you are otherwise healthy re BP, weight, diet, exercise etc then overall (absolute) risk of cardiovascular problems even from tablet HRT is likely to be low, for those who have been taking it since menopause. What is particularly ill-advised is starting oral HRT for the first time post 60 and 10 or more years since menopause.

Hurdity x

jaydee

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2024, 07:40:39 PM »

Thank you for all your replies….  Just got a bit twitchy after my last bleed which was slightly heavier and longer than usual.  Although heavier I was still able to get away with using the normal Tena pads.  Thank you all for replying.