Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: GP changed progesterone to a cheaper brand!  (Read 526 times)

Drew26

GP changed progesterone to a cheaper brand!
« on: July 08, 2024, 11:18:05 AM »

Hi all,

I’ve just had a text message from my GP surgery to say they are changing my prescription of Utrogestan 100mg nightly to Grepretix 100mg nightly. Because the Greptrix is better for NHS sustainability. I’m assuming it’s cheaper than Utrogestan?  :-\
They say it’s contains the same drug and dose is the same.

Had anyone any experience of Grepretix and can I ask to stay on Utrogestan because I’ve been on it for over 3 years and I’m settled on this?

Thanks so much
Drew26

Xxx

Hurdity

Re: GP changed progesterone to a cheaper brand!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2024, 11:23:53 AM »

Hi Drew

I am sure it is possible to ask to continue with Utrogestan if you prefer? I know some women appear able to do this from what I've read ie retain the brand they are familiar with. I know I am able to do this with patches. It might be worth trying to start with to see how you get on, and then if it doesn't suit you, you have a better argument for staying with utrogestan?

I posted some basic information about Gepretix on a new thread in response to some questions about it here: https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,69288.msg951369.html#msg951369 though the thread doesn't yet give many personal experiences.

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2024, 01:30:04 PM »

Probably due to it being cheaper.  I had this with an AD a few months ago and had side effects !!! the surgery changed it as soon as I requested it.  U may not find that the 'cheaper' brand is any different.

bombsh3ll

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2024, 03:11:57 PM »

There's nothing to be concerned about, the active ingredient and strength is exactly the same.

If you try the other progesterone and there is a genuine clinical reason why you don't get on with it rather than simply wanting a well known brand, you can ask your GP to change it, however this is not reasonable without trying it.

The NHS is facing serious challenges around both the cost and availability of medicines, and the prescribing of brand name products isn't appropriate or sustainable when the exact same medication exists as a generic for a lower price.

When you are prescribed a brand name rather than the generic drug you are also more likely to struggle to find it in pharmacies at times of shortages, which we have seen happen with multiple medications since Brexit.

Drew26

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2024, 05:50:44 PM »

Thanks to everyone for the reassurance and info, it’s helpful to hear other opinions.

I’m not unwilling to try it, I’m just mindful that even simple changes to HRT can cause issues sometimes and I’d never heard of Grepritix before I received the message from my GP.

But I’ll give it a try and see how I get on  :)

Thanks to all

:-* Xxx

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2024, 07:17:44 PM »

It sounds more like a cocktail than medication  ;)

Or even something that I would feed to my pond fish  :whist:

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2024, 08:22:42 AM »

Hi again Drew 26

I should add that the filler ingredients are slightly different in Gepretix which uses grape seed oil instead of sunflower oil (Utrogestan).

I was trying to find out if the two brands behaved differently in the body, but unfortunately the pharmacokinetic data for both (ie the time course of how the hormone behaves in the body) is identical, which suggests that Gepretix manufacturers did not conduct their own trials but are using the data from Utrogestan. So other than the difference in oils, there is like to be no difference between the two, though in the absence of evidence from trials,  only personal experiences will shed light on this....

Do let us know (on this thread) if you try it and how you get one as this will be helpful to others!

Hurdity x

PS I didn't recheck the French product data on Gepretix to see if their data is the same as the entry for Gepretix on EmC ie used in British markets, to check whether there have been separate trials for Gepretix.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2024, 08:25:49 AM by Hurdity »

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2024, 08:24:44 AM »

Morning.  Tnx Hurdity.  Also if U do find a difference to report on the yellow card scheme. 

Drew26

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2024, 02:58:58 PM »

Thanks Hurdity for your research and info, it’s really appreciated   :)

I will have to try it when my current supply of Utrogestan runs out.

I will be happy to update this thread if it helps others.

And thanks to CLKD for the reminder about reporting to the yellow card scheme.

Once again brilliant support & advice from this forum.

Thanks all
Drew xxxxx