Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Bleeding  (Read 128 times)

emzzz

• First Flush
Bleeding
« on: July 08, 2024, 02:29:04 PM »

Hi

New to the forum it’s been very helpful.
Peri symptoms for a while.
I started on HRT utrogestan 100 and gel 2 pumps daily, took two weeks of tablets and had the break, started bleeding heavy with clots and it’s continued for 15 days. Been the doctors he has referred me for a scan and prescribed transeamic acid which has helped it’s not as heavy but it’s my fourth day on it today. Sick of stomach cramps sick of bleeding it’s really getting me down. I’m thinking of completely stopping the HRT and going back on the mini pill which I was on before as I can’t cope with this bleeding…I’ll try and deal with the other symptoms naturally any advice please

bombsh3ll

Re: Bleeding
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2024, 02:46:44 PM »

It would be a real shame to miss out on the benefits of hormone therapy due to bleeding - this can easily be managed.

Firstly if the mini pill you were taking was desogestrel, you can take this alongside HRT. You don't have to choose. If this was keeping you bleed free, continuous progesterone would be more appropriate than cyclical - the latter is designed to induce bleeding.

Other bleed free options include a combined oral contraceptive pill taken continuously, for example I take Zoely.

Alternatively, and this is off label but increasingly popular and supported by evidence, is using two desogestrel pills taken every day as the progestogen component of hormone therapy.

A mirena IUS can also be a good option for achieving amenorrhea or at least minimal bleeding.

Do speak to your doctor about treatment that offers bleed control as well as estrogen replacement - many women are made to feel that they just have to put up with bleeding but this is not the case.

emzzz

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2024, 02:56:32 PM »

Thank you so much for your reply.

It was desogestral I was taking and only bits of spotting now and again, so I can take this with my 100 progesterone and the gel.

The gp advised me to take 100 everyday or he did offer the combined pill also
« Last Edit: July 08, 2024, 03:12:31 PM by emzzz »

bombsh3ll

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2024, 03:22:10 PM »

Yes if you are happy with desogestrel it is absolutely fine to take this alongside HRT - in this case the progesterone should be taken every day as you are trying to prevent rather than cause bleeding.

emzzz

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2024, 03:29:22 PM »

Thank you I will start that.

I’m getting great benefits to HRT so yes would be a shame to stop now just want the bleeding to stop  :(

Thanks again