Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Hysteroscopy/ biopsy FEARS… worried sick  (Read 290 times)

jacig1957

Hysteroscopy/ biopsy FEARS… worried sick
« on: July 06, 2024, 10:08:06 AM »

Hi Ladies

I’m sorry to be bothering you again, but I did try to search this topic but it continually comes up saying error and something about 5 seconds.!? Tried for several days, to no avail, search icon just doesn’t seem to work for me on iPad.

I’ve recently had an ultrasound and womb found to be thickened at 10 mm
My GP phoned to let me know she’s referred me to gynae and I’ll most likely need a hysteroscopy and biopsy.

I’ve read and watch many real horror stories regarding the immense pain involved with this procedure.

Can you ladies, who’ve had this procedure please share your honest opinions on how painful you found it?

Lolalois

• First Flush
Re: Hysteroscopy/ biopsy FEARS… worried sick
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2024, 10:24:32 AM »

Hi, I had a hysteroscopy recently for a similar reason, and did the same as you, reading online beforehand, which were largely horror stories. I managed to get in a right state about the whole thing, but honestly, it was fine. It's not the most dignified, but the pain was totally manageable and the whole procedure took less than 3 minutes. I had a local anaesthetic in my cervix which probably helped - I did have to ask for this. The after effects were minimal, I didn't need any further pain relief and went straight back to normal activities.
I can only speak for myself and i know other people may have had bad experiences, but just thought you might like to hear that it's not necessarily too bad.

Cassie

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2024, 10:34:26 AM »

I have also been reading up about it and found a site where they said you can get a local which makes it less painful, really hoping this is the case. I may have to have a polyp removed and not keen on GA as its such a quick procedure.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2024, 11:14:12 AM »

Often I get 'you posted 5 secs ago, try later'.  Don't know why  ::) when I've been away over night etc..

Make a list of your worries to take to the appt with you.  Do ring the Dept B4 to see what avilability is for a local anaesthetic as you will feel more relaxed, come the day.

General anaesthetic requires someone to drive you there/back and may take longer with recovery time.  I prefer to be knocked well out ;-).

Remember even if U go the appt you do not have to continue if you are concerned.  This is your body ;-)

jacig1957

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2024, 01:53:29 PM »

Thanks to all the ladies who have replied so far.

I really am getting myself in a state about it. When I asked my GP she said the injections around the cervix are likely to be more painful than the actual procedure.
I had a terrible experience with a camera up into my bladder not so long ago( can’t remember which oscopy that was called)
That clinician also told me local site injections would be worse than procedure…..NOT TRUE..it was agony.
I couldn’t stand the pain when trying to have coils fitted many years ago either, the attempt was stopped after I was very sick and passed out

I must be a woose but id much rather have GA . Does anyone know if that’s possible in UK (Scotland) on nhs? I’m only on my pension and couldn’t possibly afford to go private.

joziel

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2024, 02:15:40 PM »

Yes, it is possible. You can request it. You might have to wait longer as it's then a more involved procedure but it's your right to request a GA.

Jules

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2024, 03:33:23 PM »

I was one of those who had a very painful procedure. To the point I was fainting.  I wasn't given any pain relief.  I was told I'd need GA if I had another. The thing is, this isn't a case of some people being softer than others. I gave birth without pain relief.  Ive also had a cystoscopy and was fine. I'm sure it depends on the skill of the consultant,  what you're having done, how your body reacts, the position and condition of your cervix etc. I also got in a state and had a panic attack waiting for the appointment though I was ok on the day. I would advise anyone having this, not to just go along without asking questions first. They want to get through as many as they can in outpatients so count on women just going along with it. I specifically asked the consultant if it was painful and she didn't answer other than to say let's have a go. They don't know who will experience pain.  You might be fine so might not be worth asking for GA. You can ask them to stop at any point.

Penguin

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2024, 03:42:55 PM »

Yes you can ask for a GA although it will likely take longer to get on a theatre list which will mean you'll be anxious for longer waiting for it. They may well do it with enhanced sedation rather than a full GA, but you'll still need someone to take you home afterwards. Given what I've read on MM about the procedure, I'd personally be insisting on some kind of anaesthesia whether local or enhanced. Or perhaps they offer gas and air,  I'm not sure.

Northerngirl

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2024, 04:07:55 PM »

I've had both ways...without GA for the first one several years ago and this year one with GA. I would definitely have GA again if needed,  as others have  said the wait is much longer and you need to stay a few hours longer afterwards. I'm same as Jules having previously had many procedures without any issues  but I found my first hysterescopy extremely painful, so when I knew I was having hysteroscopy/biopsy I opted for GA.
We are all individuals and react differently  so choose whatever makes you feel more comfortable and don't be pressured into anything.

Dandelion22

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2024, 04:30:01 PM »

I have had two hysteroscopies. The first one found polyps and a fibroid . I took painkillers 1 hour before the procedure and although the biopsy was a bit uncomfortable it was very quick. I had them removed with a general anaesthetic. The second one which was just a few weeks ago was different because on examination the Consultant said I had a fibroid and asked if I wanted it removed there and then. I really wanted the problem out of the way so had it removed with a local anaesthetic.  It wasn’t until the last few minutes that I found the procedure a bit painful, it felt like period pains but after about 30 mins recovery I felt fine.  From what you have asked if you are just having the hysteroscopy and biopsy at the first stage I would take the painkillers and get it over with.  It depends how long you want to wait to solve your issue as like the other ladies have said you would probably have to wait a while for a general anaesthetic.

VioletAquarius

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2024, 10:19:26 PM »

I've had 2 hysteroscopies, both with polyp removal.

Both times were painful, on and off, it wasn't a continuous pain, but I just gritted my teeth and stuck it out. I was told both times, that if it was too painful I would have to have a ga, so it can be done in the nhs.

Afterwards you can have bleeding and period like pains, and if you have polyp removal you can also experience contractions, but these after pains are short lived and will have stopped before you leave the hospital.

I did take paracetamol beforehand to help with with the pain. On my second visit I was told I could have taken both paracetamol and ibuprofen.

There was a lady who put on here, not that long ago, how easy and relatively pain free hers was. So it all depends on each individual.

What about taking paracetamol and ibuprofen (if you can), and try it, and if you really cannot cope then chose to have the ga then.

I'm not sure how ling before the procedure you need to take the pain killers, but it will be in your information leaflet you are given.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2024, 10:22:42 PM by VioletAquarius »