Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Would really appreciate some advice, please  (Read 1533 times)

Ayesha

Re: Would really appreciate some advice, please
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2024, 11:32:00 AM »

On the subject of drugs like Ibuprofen and their other namesakes, its not a good thing to recommend them on a forum that is mostly about women suffering from the symptoms of aging. They are possibly the worst drug you can take for an aging body and I don't think we should be recommending them here when we give advice, they can be very damaging to your organs as we age.

My little rant over!

Ayesha

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2024, 11:33:30 AM »

Nurofen has ibuprofen in which isn't good for the stomach and especially anybody who has gastric problems shouldn't use it regularly if at all.

Absolutely, awful drugs to take and will do no good in the long term.

orrla

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2024, 11:37:39 AM »

I will be really cautious with the nurofen, Jules. I did take 2 tablets earlier (with an omeprazole) but I will try to stick with paracetamol. I’m 63 and not on HRT. I wish now that I was. I’ve made an appointment with a post menopause (& HRT) consultant but that’s not until august, which feels like a long way off. From my reading over the past two months, HRT may still be a possibility. The steroid cream does seem to ease it a bit, CLKD. I used it for the prescribed week (twice a day) when this first happened, 2 months ago,  and I started it again with this flare up. I am definitely at my most comfortable when I’m walking or standing.

Are you doing any pelvic floor exercises? Do!!!  ..otherwise all drops and stretch..

Good move with that Consultant appointment!

Best🤗

orrla

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2024, 12:50:27 PM »

and there we are:

'GSM is a chronic complex syndrome of multiple changes in the genitourinary tissues in response to the loss of oestrogen with menopause. The experience of atrophic symptoms varies and ranges from mild to debilitating, with effects on genitourinary function, sexual function, relationships and quality of life.'

https://www.racgp.org.au › july
Genitourinary syndrome of menopause - RACGP

“Studies have shown that around 70% of women have symptoms of GSM, yet only 7% receive treatment.'   

Why?!

Ayesha

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2024, 01:51:48 PM »

Because they don't ask for it! They don't come forward and why there is so much ignorance of the condition by medics across the board. I have read research papers from here and the USA saying that women will come up with excuses not to present when suffering symptoms, the main being too embarrassed, its private, my business etc.

Personally I don't know how they can live with symptoms of GSM, it can be crippling as it was in my case and when I presented I was given three courses of antibiotics over three months and all the nurses who I knew well, didn't have a clue what was going on with me.  And all I needed was oestrogen!

orrla

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2024, 02:04:30 PM »

I know. It's beyond my comprehension but there we are..sadly.

Well, I do not wish to have to have wear diapers, and burn like hell, so I do expect my GP come up with bit more than antibiotic after I show up with bad UTI at age of 64..! and..65...67...

:-\ >:(

:-*

Ayesha

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2024, 02:43:30 PM »

orria, thanks for the link, it didn't work but I've managed to find the article on GSM and it was good to read the Australian view on the condition. I really feel we are getting to the stage that when a mature woman presents with symptoms she is not sent away with antibiotics and those more intimate questions need to be asked.

Reading the article it seems to me medics across the world are singing from the same hymn sheet when discussing GSM.
https://www.racgp.org.au/afp/2017/july/genitourinary-syndrome-of-menopause

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2024, 02:46:55 PM »

Ibuprofen is what is recommended by my GP and Pharmacists.  I'm 70 and never been told otherwise and it's not as though the drug needs to be taken often.  What would *U* recommend Ayesha - I could take a bottle of Paracetamol for example which wouldn't relieve symptoms but would kill me  :-\ and why not recommend pain relief: members recommend and give advice about other medications/experiences.

It is up to each to decide which advice may/not work at that time.

Certainly walking/standing will ease pressure .

Ayesha

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2024, 03:41:54 PM »

When I started to have muscle pain in my fifties I always took Ibuprofen until my GP told me to stop because it can cause kidney disease and stomach problems. What I take now is one paracetamol and one co-codamol to ease any painful flare up, which is not that often these days.
But even then codeine can be addictive and one needs to be aware of that but if I was giving advice here to a member I would also say take a painkiller that suits not actually mention a product name.

Why would you even mention such a thing as taking a bottle of paracetamol, that's not a very grown up thing to say and downright dangerous.

Minusminnie

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2024, 03:46:03 PM »

Sorry CLKD but i was about to say the same thing re your comment about a bottle of Paracetamol. Can you withdraw it please.

Jules

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2024, 04:04:03 PM »

Ibuprofen is what is recommended by my GP and Pharmacists.  I'm 70 and never been told otherwise and it's not as though the drug needs to be taken often.  What would *U* recommend Ayesha - I could take a bottle of Paracetamol for example which wouldn't relieve symptoms but would kill me  :-\ and why not recommend pain relief: members recommend and give advice about other medications/experiences.

It is up to each to decide which advice may/not work at that time.

Certainly walking/standing will ease pressure .

I commented on it because you say that same thing a lot so it gives the impression you take it regularly and it sounds like youre recommending it.  I can only I only need 2 doses and I get stomach pain.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2024, 04:12:27 PM »

Paracetamol can be very dangerous if too many products are taken with it in the mix.  many people are un-aware of the risk.  I know a girl who died, when she had 'flu she took several products including paracetamol.  Her temp was high so was confused.  This drug should not be available OTC. 

As for anything with 'co' in the title, the 1st pill is great for me, any more and I'm  :sick02: so no benefit at all  ::)

I am recommending it as with many other drugs mentioned here.  4 me 2 Nurofen 3 times a day when I get the need2P eases symptoms.  I have never given the impression that I take it often!  I may suggest it when ladies have symptoms but that doesn't mean that I take it a lot!

Minusminnie

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2024, 04:54:59 PM »

Sorry CLKD but i was about to say the same thing re your comment about a bottle of Paracetamol. Can you withdraw it please.

CLKD let’s hope someone in a fragile state hasn’t acted on that information you’ve given on a public forum this afternoon.

orrla

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2024, 05:35:32 PM »

orria, thanks for the link, it didn't work but I've managed to find the article on GSM and it was good to read the Australian view on the condition. I really feel we are getting to the stage that when a mature woman presents with symptoms she is not sent away with antibiotics and those more intimate questions need to be asked.

Reading the article it seems to me medics across the world are singing from the same hymn sheet when discussing GSM.
https://www.racgp.org.au/afp/2017/july/genitourinary-syndrome-of-menopause

Try and browse, go onto NHS Inform pages about UTI and bladder issues, and you'll get all sorts of causes listed eg bacteria, infection, cystic fibrosis, etc., but not single one mention of role of hormones!!!

!

Maltesers

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2024, 06:27:06 AM »

Thanks again to all of you for your support and for the benefit of your experience. I have read everything you have linked and referred to and it is all really helpful. I keep thinking of the generations of women who must have suffered from this awful condition without help. Hopefully information and solutions  will continue to improve for us all.
Pages: 1 [2] 3