Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Looking old - make up recommendations  (Read 561 times)

FunkyFrankie

Looking old - make up recommendations
« on: July 05, 2024, 08:36:41 PM »

Hi everyone
I am 57 and think I am starting to look properly old. I wouldn’t have any “work” done, but I know the right make up can work wonders.  I have fair skin, age spots on my forehead, blonde pixie cut hair.  Does anyone know of any miraculous make up to give me coverage with a youthful glow? Thank you!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Looking old - make up recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2024, 06:49:28 AM »

First thing is the haircut that suits our faces which may lengthen as we age.

I notice that eye-liner is 'in' as it was in the 1960s/70s  ::).  Along with mascara.

Is there a local beautician to you, mayB on your local FB group?  Or a counter in a store, i.e. J Lewis, who may do testes/make up sessions with advice?

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2024, 08:57:00 AM »

Hi - I don't often wear face make-up - usually only in winter sometimes if going out but I have some No 7 & protect and perfect Intense advanced Facial sun protection. It's sort of like a cross between foundation and sun cream but soaks into the skin and seems to smooth over some of the imperfections.It comes in different shades.... Also have a concealer for those awkward blobs. For me not age spots but reddish blotches that seem to appear sometimes.

Hurdity x

Dierdre

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2024, 09:08:50 AM »

I think as we get older less is more. Heavy eye makeup and black liner definately a no. Go for a more natural look and a good hair style and colour. I'm grey now but have stopped dying my hair my natural dark colour as it didn't suit me anymore. I've gone a few shades lighter using highlights.  Boots and John Lewis usually have beauticians on hand to advise for free.

BermudaQueen

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2024, 09:35:09 AM »

Ah menopause is hard enough without feeling tired looking and dry skin, as I’ve found!

I’ve found the Nivea Q10 great, doesn’t upset my skin and lots of creams to choose from for different skin types/ages… having had facial skin cancer in the past, I have to use a Factor 50 sun cream every day, then I use the Q10 eye cream and then Q10 facial cream… I feel loads of moisture instantly peps up my skin!

Then a little foundation to even the skin tone and mascara and a dusting of No7 sun shimmer powder with a big brush!

There’s nothing worse than feeling you’re losing your femininity through menopause, just sharing what I’ve found… I hope you find a regime that works for you and makes you feel great about yourself 🙏

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2024, 11:10:53 AM »

Nivea products are great.

For several years I coloured my hair at home, looked like murder had been committed in our bathroom  :o ;D.  Then I had 3/4 colours done professionally at home which worked well, hi/low lights.  Due to caring for elderly relatives etc. I didn't have time so let my grey come through which I love.  I also change my shampoo choices as my hair tends to be a little dry, plus occasionally a conditioner left in for a while. 

Keeping hydrated helps the skin from inside out.  Not using a harsh foundation removal, sticking to warm/cool water and cotton wool. 

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2024, 01:00:54 PM »

I find the best option is to take my contact lenses out before looking in the mirror - gives me a perfect wrinkle free complexion  :).

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2024, 01:37:28 PM »

;). I rarely look in the mirror  ::).

joziel

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2024, 02:13:35 PM »

I started tretinoin about a year ago and it's been fantastic for my skin. I look about 10 years younger. I use Dermatica which is an online prescription service. You get sent a little tube in the post every month.

Before Dermatica, I wanted to cover my skin up with foundation and that really just make me look older and cakey. With Dermatica, my skin is so better I feel confident enough not to wear any foundation at all. Sometimes I use just a skin tint. It kinda gives you the glassy skin look...

But there is a lot of acne and break outs to get through and dryness to deal with, before you reach that point. It speeds up the turnover of skin cells which in turn can lead to dryness. It took me a while to get moisturising sorted so this didn't affect me.

With tretinoin, vitamin C (also from Dermatica) and SPF I'm sorted now. For moisturiser I love Geek and Gorgeous Barrier stuff and Hydration Station. Oh and I also put some Oestrogel on my face every other day, just the bits leftover in the bottle rather than throw it out. The alcohol in it can again be drying, so lots of moisturising before and after.

FunkyFrankie

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2024, 02:24:21 PM »

I find the best option is to take my contact lenses out before looking in the mirror - gives me a perfect wrinkle free complexion  :).
I absolutely LOVE this!  🤣. Thank you, and how obviously effective! 

FunkyFrankie

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2024, 02:26:32 PM »

To everyone who has replied, thank you so much!  I appreciate it a lot, as you have made me feel I am not alone. X

jaypo

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2024, 03:55:35 PM »

Always use a primer,I use No7 it's a greenish colour but it evens out any redness,then I use Estée Lauder foundation,their lightest one and then finish with magic minerals compact powder,again it evens out any redness or blemishes,not too expensive either   :)

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2024, 07:04:13 PM »

As we age our skin needs to breath so as light a foundation as possible if required at all.

It may depend on which part of your face you want to make look younger?  Let us know how you get on.

sheila99

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2024, 07:55:23 PM »

Always use a primer,I use No7 it's a greenish colour
And I thought it was the incredible hunk I saw in the distance not you  ;D

jaypo

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2024, 07:39:04 AM »

;D Hope I didn't scare the animals Sheila
Pages: [1] 2