Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Pulsatile Tinnitus  (Read 415 times)

Charleyfarley

Pulsatile Tinnitus
« on: July 04, 2024, 06:39:00 PM »

Hi ladies

I hope you’re all doing well 😁….its been a minute 😱 

Health anxiety via perimenopause took a back seat for a while, lovely new & improved anxiety crept in due to a relationship break down 🤦‍♀️ I mean, at least it distracted me from my health 😂🤷‍♀️

It would seem it’s returned with a vengeance today 😭

I’ve been sat on the sofa with my little girl for the last couple of hours and the most insane whooshing & pulsating is in one ear…waited until little chick had gone to bed and googled….all the results say pulsatile tinitus which didn’t worry me much as I do get quite a mild regular tinitus…but then each site said this was a lot more concerning and to get seen urgently as this is very rare & relates to tumours and cardiovascular problems 😳😳😳

Im panicking, cannot go to a&e as I have my little one in bed and apart from that feel absolutely fine….

Apart from increasingly bad anxiety since I read that….has anyone else experienced it & it did not spell a sinister illness?? 😢

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Pulsatile Tinnitus
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2024, 06:44:03 PM »

Yep.   Mine happens when I'm laying on my ear  ::) so if I move it stops, but the overall tinnitus which seems to be slightly behind my head, is constant.  Though I am not always aware of it.

Have U tried putting your finger into the ear and wriggling. Gently.  It may simply be a little fluid that has settled and will move with a little encouragement. 

Did U look at an NHS site?  Others may not be reliable ......... U may be able to speak to a hearing technologist tomorrow if it continues, for reassurance.  Boots or specsavers for example.

Let us know how you get on. 

Charleyfarley

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2024, 06:55:33 PM »

Ah CKLD thank you 🙏 very reassuring….j will see if I can get a phone appointment tomorrow x

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2024, 07:11:55 PM »

What ever it is, 24/48 hours won't make any difference if it is serious! 

Dorothy Gale

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2024, 08:12:53 PM »

Hi....

Sorry to hear this.

I had pulsitile tinitus for a while last year. Like you I found it really distressing and I did loads of posts on here at the time....

I saw the gp, saw the ENT consultant, had the MRI brain/ear scan.........

All normal.

It went away completely on its own. Not had any issue for months.

ENT said my ear pain was due to TMJ. But no clue on the pulsitile tinitus.

I've put it down to another menopause symptom that like all the rest...come, stay, go......come back....go.....go away completely....you get my drift.

Don't read Google. I did and like you thought alsorts of horror scenarios which were totally untrue.

I'd see your gp to have look in your ears. I bet you anything this will go of its own accord. Don't panic. Breathe. It's unpleasant but I reckon you'll find it eases off at some point sooner or later.

Anxiety makes any tinitus worse. So I would try if possible to lower your stress levels with breathing etc....my tinitus gets worse when really anxious but settles when I'm calmer....anti Anxiety meds helped me so much in controlling horrific Anxiety.

Hang in there. You'll be OK xxx
« Last Edit: July 04, 2024, 08:16:11 PM by Dorothy Gale »

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2024, 08:51:28 PM »

Tinnitus.org.uk:

Pulsatile tinnitus is a rhythmical noise which is heard in the head and/or ears which pulses usually at the same rate as the heart beat.

It is usually caused by a change in blood flow, or change in awareness of that blood flow, in the vessels near the ear. If you are experiencing symptoms like these, please speak to your GP who will suggest a number of different tests.

If there is a physical reason for the pulsatile tinnitus, treating the underlying cause can help.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2024, 08:55:22 PM »

How is the sensation now?    Did U wriggle with the little finger to ease any pressure/wax build up?

Any head pain?   Loss of vision or hearing?  Strange feelings in the face/scalp?  If any of the latter I would ring A&E and ask for advice, otherwise I would go to the companies that I suggested, I wouldn't ring, but simply walk in.  Unless U don't have transport ;-).

Ebonybones

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2024, 08:57:40 PM »

Yes I’ve had it for 4 years now, had a head mri all fine

I’ve narrowed it down to a few of any of the below it could be for me

Too much caffeine
Low iron
High blood pressure
TMJ
HRT

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2024, 09:00:13 PM »

Do U take your BP regularly Ebonybones?  DH has a home monitor which doesn't register me, according to that I don't exist  ;D.

Charleyfarley

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2024, 07:07:58 AM »

Oh wow thank you all, CKLD no head pain or sensations & I can’t tell if it’s gone away now as I’m sat with noise in Costa!

Ebony Bones thank you 🙏 interesting that you mentioned the list, I drink 2 large Costa lattes a day, caffeine! Take a high dose of Venlafaxin, possible high bp!

Dorothy I’m so sorry I have no idea why but my response to you sent as an inbox message 🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️ this site is always a madness for me to navigate 😂

It’s another one of those annoying symptoms that when you look, all symptoms can also point to meno, so always left wondering! Talks about if it occurs alongside forgetfulness, funny sensations, lots of  also meno symptoms…a minefield!!!

CKLD I’m going to pop into one of your suggestions hopefully today or a pharmacy  🙏❤️

Thank you everyone

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2024, 08:23:57 AM »

U pre-empted me, I was going to ask h ow you are feeling.

You are up and about to be in COSTA already  ;D.  let us know how you get on.

Charleyfarley

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2024, 11:22:30 AM »

Well I’m currently in work, work in education safeguarding but I’m sat in my office googling all different algorithms that may say that the pulsing in one ear  isn’t sinister 🤦‍♀️ any logical thoughts go out of the window when it comes to health anxiety for me…I panicked because I’ve been surrounded by noise all
Day but went for a wee and heard it again 😱

I’m at work until three then a dental appointment for routine hygenist…will pop straight to a apecsavers or somewhere after that as recommended by CKLD 🙏 can’t get a GP appt today

Because the nature of the health anxiety comes from “out of nowhere trauma” ie a haemorrhage I didn’t see
Coming, my biggest fear is anything that can just come on suddenly and then boom…dead 😭 and that’s how the pulsatile tinitis read, imminent heart attack kind of vibes 😳😳😳 xxx

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2024, 11:25:30 AM »

Get on with your work.  You are focussing on symptoms because they worry you.  Do U have a health dept at work?

Charleyfarley

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2024, 01:05:06 PM »

Literally SPOT ON CKLD!!!

I just had to go into a meeting with Director of LA on Teams and the whole time didn’t think of my ear once  🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

As soon as I had time to think I was panicking again x

Violetta808

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2024, 01:11:22 PM »

Hi Charleyfarley, just to say I too have had similar in one ear, last year, before I was on HRT, and it came and went for a while but has now gone away completely (fingers crossed). My blood pressure is normal and I am fit and well. I don’t have health anxiety as such but I did scare myself by googling worst case scenarios. Try not to! (easier said than done). I did find it very disturbing though.

Like Dorothy has said it could be TMJ. Do you grind or clench your jaw/teeth? I do 😖 I am convinced this was the cause along with oestrogen fluctuations.
Pages: [1] 2