Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Surgical menopause worse than chemical?  (Read 123 times)

notreallyhere

• First Flush
Surgical menopause worse than chemical?
« on: July 04, 2024, 05:59:44 PM »

Hi there! I’m new here, just trying to learn about well, menopause.
I’ve been doing zoladex injections for the past 8 months for PMDD. I’ve found it’s somewhat helped with those symptoms but the menopausal ones are HARD. Brain fog is unbelievable, memory is terrible, aches and pains all over, etc. I have been trying HRT but for a variety of reasons can’t tolerate oestrogen in any form or dose. I am on low dose testosterone but it doesn’t help much with the brain fog which is my biggest concern. (I don’t tolerate or need progesterone as I’ve had my uterus out)

My hope was to get my ovaries out but my gyno is hesitant and frankly at this point I have no quality of life on zoladex. I’m 42 and not in peri. I likely have a good decade before natural menopause hits me.

I know people can’t say what will happen but I’m having to learn about menopause on top of everything else. I understand surgery will be a faster, harder introduction into menopause. What I’m wondering is… in general, is it harder to go from chemical menopause to surgical?
I assume it’s easier if you have HRT stabilised before or introduced after surgery but well… I can’t take oestrogen and if my symptoms are as bad as they are now on zoladex then I assume they will be this bad or worse post surgery. Am I right in thinking that?

(I’m not looking for advice on how to treat PMDD. Thanks anyway, but I’ve tried everything)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Surgical menopause worse than chemical?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2024, 06:36:49 PM »

Hi.  What have your periods been up to in the last 2/3 years? 

Why have you had problems with oestrogen replacement?  Your symptoms certainly point to a drop in this hormone which may have been impacted with hysterectomy. 

Who has given advice about the PMDD? 

Your Gynaecologist probably doesn't know enough about hormones and PMDD etc., so being referred to a dedicated menopause clinic.