Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Skin Reaction to patch, gel and spray  (Read 142 times)

sophiechinelli

• First Flush
Skin Reaction to patch, gel and spray
« on: July 03, 2024, 10:47:55 AM »

I am 44 and last year felt very tired, flat, impatient and had loss of libido as well has hot flashes. I went to the GP and tried patches. They lifted my mood, energy levels, helped my sleep and libido really rapidly.
A few months later I felt the benefits subside a bit so upped the dose from 50 to 75. I then got a bug/ flu one week and didn’t put on the patches. I resumed them and suddenly started having a reaction to them. My skin went red and incredibly itchy. GP suggested gel which was even worse. The itching was constant. After that, I tried the spray. It was great for the first few weeks and then my skin started to react again with redness, swelling and intense itching. 
I have taken myself off HRT but I feel all the initial symptoms. I really don’t know where to go next. I feel snappy and have very low energy. The GP is concerned I will have a reaction to oral or pellet HRT. She has gone away to think about the next step. Has anyone had any experience of skin reactions and did anyone resolve this? Thank you!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Skin Reaction to patch, gel and spray
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2024, 11:39:27 AM »

Sometimes the skin may react to the fillers rather than the active ingredient.  Awful especially as you were experiencing some relief of symptoms.

Hopefully your GP will refer you to a deduced menopause clinic sooner rather than later as there are waiting lists in both NHS and Private Clinics. NOT a gynaecologist.

:welcomemm:  browse round.  Make notes ;-).

bombsh3ll

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2024, 03:57:34 PM »

I only ever used patches during IVF which was time limited and worth it to have my daughter, but they made my skin red and itchy too, especially if I managed to keep one on for more than a day, which was rare without a surgical adhesive dressing over the top.

I have no issues with oral estradiol.

I would not let skin problems with transdermal discourage you from trying oral treatment.

Pellets are not available on the NHS and are rarely offered privately in the UK, as once it is in you it can't be removed no matter how high your hormone levels go or what side effects you have.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2024, 07:46:41 PM »

HI sophiechinelli

:welcomemm:

Have you tried applying the transdermal preparations to different parts of the body? I presume so and that you get the same reaction everywhere?  Or different patches? They have different adhesives so another brand may work better (though the fact that you react to sprays and gel makes this unlikely....)

Hope you manage to find something that works! eg Tablet oestrogen as per bombshell

Hurdity x