Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Ovarian Cyst  (Read 192 times)

Cassie

Ovarian Cyst
« on: July 02, 2024, 03:19:02 PM »

Hi Ladies, has anyone had an ovarian cyst that has grown bigger over time?  I have had one on my right ovary for several years, its fluid filled and blood tests have been normal it has however increased in size. The gynaecologist I saw,  is not worried about it but said I could opt to have it removed if it became bigger or caused pain which its not. On another note, my uterine lining is nice and thin and that is on  Utrogestan 100mg used 12 days per month, I do however only use 1 pump of gel.
The scan also showed a tiny polyp but said I should return next year and will see if its changed, not sure if they disappear on their own but as its not causing any problems, I was told treatment is currently not needed.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2024, 03:20:35 PM by Cassie »

bombsh3ll

Re: Ovarian Cyst
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2024, 04:21:13 PM »

I have had cysts in the past but they have always resolved.

Me personally, I would not be comfortable leaving a persistent and enlarging cyst. My perspective may be skewed however as I am a non-carrier within a BRCA family.

Whilst only you can decide for yourself, these are the factors that I would consider in making such a decision;

Age and dependence on ovarian hormones - if you are 25 losing an ovary is a big deal, if you are 55 and postmenopausal not so much.

Family history and risk tolerance.

General health status, any comorbidities? Are you a good candidate for a general anaesthetic or are there factors that would make this higher risk?

Previous abdominal surgery, especially in an inflammatory context? For example I was left with appendicitis for 3 weeks as a young woman resulting in major abdominal surgery and a pelvis full of dense adhesions, which would make otherwise straight forward gynae surgery much more technically challenging, and a laparoscopic approach impossible.

Other potential benefits from surgery e.g. option to combine with hysterectomy so that estrogen can be taken alone.

Jules

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2024, 04:40:35 PM »

I've recently had a polyp removed. They couldn't be certain it was that from a scan so had to check. I don't think polyps go away.

Cassie

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2024, 04:53:26 PM »

Thank you, the Dr said to return in 6 months to check on the polyp, as for the cyst, I was told they dont turn nasty the simple fluid filled ones but can be removed to prevent torsion if they get too large. This one doesnt cause me any issues that I can think of, certainly no pain. Did they remove it with a hysteroscopy Jules?

Jules

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2024, 05:11:13 PM »

Yes they did. It was just inside my cervix and I'd been referred for scan because I'd had a bleed so was then referred on the 2 weeks pathway as she couldn't say definitely that it was a polyp though she wasn't concerned

Cassie

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2024, 05:21:52 PM »

Tx Jules the Dr said mine is also just there not sure if right inside but more in the cavity & could probably be removed with a scope.