Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Estrogen levels and Slynd  (Read 424 times)

PennyD

Estrogen levels and Slynd
« on: July 01, 2024, 08:48:12 PM »

Hi all,

I've been on Slynd 4mg as the progesterone element for HRT for 3 months, along with a 50mcg patch. All great, I'm so happy with this progesterone.
However, after my last consultation, my doctor increased my oestrogen to 50mcg and half of a 25mcg patch, with a view to getting me gradually to 75 mcg. I increased the patch for the first time 4 days ago and put a new lot on this morning. This evening I'm cramping and spotting. It's very slight, but unusual as I've not had any periods at all for over a year (I'm 46). Really I don't want to be taken off anything, the increased oestrogen is making me feel fantastic and this progesterone is a game changer for me.
I'm not sure if this is the increase in oestrogen, or a sign that my progesterone isn't enough. I've also switched from taking Slynd at night to in the morning.
Has anyone had similar experiences when increasing their HRT regime, especially on Slynd?

bombsh3ll

Re: Estrogen levels and Slynd
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2024, 04:29:48 PM »

I have no personal experience with Slynd but 4mg of drospirenone is more than adequate for endometrial protection - for comparison Angeliq which is oral combined contains 2mg.

And you are only 46 so may still have some endogenous ovarian activity.

I wouldn't be concerned about this at all, it is common to get a bit of bleeding in the first few months after a change in HRT.

If it persists beyond 6 months or so, that's when I would think about a scan for reassurance.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2024, 09:00:31 PM »

Hi all,

I've been on Slynd 4mg as the progesterone element for HRT for 3 months, along with a 50mcg patch. All great, I'm so happy with this progesterone.
However, after my last consultation, my doctor increased my oestrogen to 50mcg and half of a 25mcg patch, with a view to getting me gradually to 75 mcg. I increased the patch for the first time 4 days ago and put a new lot on this morning. This evening I'm cramping and spotting. It's very slight, but unusual as I've not had any periods at all for over a year (I'm 46). Really I don't want to be taken off anything, the increased oestrogen is making me feel fantastic and this progesterone is a game changer for me.
I'm not sure if this is the increase in oestrogen, or a sign that my progesterone isn't enough. I've also switched from taking Slynd at night to in the morning.
Has anyone had similar experiences when increasing their HRT regime, especially on Slynd?

Slynd is listed on the British Menopause Society's list of suggested alternatives to licensed HRT products in cases of progesterone intolerance. It is given as suitable for opposing medium oestrogen doses but doesn't give any progestogen equivalents for higher oestrogen doses than 2 mg oral or 50 mcg patch.

Interestingly the amount in Slynd at 4 mg, as bombshell says, is higher than that given for angeliq at 2 mg (no longer available here). In other instances, the mini pill (POP) contains LESS progestogen than the HRT combined pill equivalent, hence the need to take two mini pills when used off-licence for HRT eg with Cerazette - desogestrel.

It could be the increase in oestrogen causing the bleeding or your own cycle breaking through. When you say you did not have periods for a year - wwere you taking any HRT before your current regime, or any contraceptive? Unless you have been without a NATURAL period for at least 12 months (and this is a conservative estimate) you cannot know when you reach menopause once you've started HRT.

Do you take the placebo pills or do you take it continuously?

It is very unlikely that increasing oestrogen by 12.5 mcg would result in cramping and bleeding 4 days later. If you changed the time you took Slynd to the morning at the same time ie a few days ago, then theoretically the slight drop in progesterone levels may trigger spotting, if the womb lining had thickened slightly - because there was a longer interval between doses.

However I do agree with bombshell that you don't need to be alarmed as yet, unless the bleeding becomes heavy or if you sense that something is wrong, and wait for 6 months, then ask to be referred. There are new detailed guidelines detailing how and when to be referred...

All the best and hope you continue to feel well.

Hurdity x

Sugarant

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2024, 10:33:07 AM »

I've read this thread with interest, as I've just been prescribed Slynd 4mg to go with 150 Estradot patches. I hadn't had a period in about 2.5 years when my clinician upped my estrogen dose from 100 to 150 last September, at which point I started bleeding and basically haven't stopped. Even when I went back to 100 patches for 4 months, the bleeding continued, so she's now switched me from 2 x utrogestan to continuous Slynd tablets, skipping the sugar pills.

I think increasing the estrogen would see a bit of breakthrough bleeding and as others have said, I wouldn't be worried yet. I thought my consultant would be worried that I'd been bleeding for over 6 months, but she wasn't and now we're waiting to see what effect the Slynd has. It is such a pain to suddenly start bleeding after a long time of no periods though, so I do sympathise!

joziel

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2024, 12:01:27 PM »

It's very normal to bleed after increasing estrogen dose and the advice conventionally given is to disregard any bleeding that occurs within 3 months of an increase. Just continue as you are and it will resolve.

karab

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2024, 06:53:27 AM »

Also, thought I might add that my experience has been that significantly changing the timing of my slynd dose actually /usually/ causes spotting.  Sometimes even if I only change it by a few hours.  The spotting also sometimes doesn't resolve by the next day, sometimes it continues for a few days.

This is purely anecdotal, but I read other reviews about it before I started that complained of the same thing, and said for minimal spotting, try to take it at the same time every day.  Also, if you started recently, lots of people complain about unscheduled bleeding in the first 3 months.

Kara

PennyD

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2024, 01:19:06 PM »

Thank you all, that's very reassuring. I'm taking Slynd continuously without the placebo pills. Hurdity, yes I've been on birth control continuously for years and then trying out various forms of HRT so yes I can see that this might be a period. A week later, brown spotting has turned red and slightly heavier but nothing unmanageable. I've got all the same period symptoms that I remember - hunger, sugar cravings, cramp, low energy, really hoped I wouldn't see this again! However I've stuck to the increased Estrogen dose, it's worth it and hoping this resolves soon. Also, I'm sticking to taking it at 10pm every night, after your advice, otherwise it seems to cause sleepiness during the day. Many thanks, don't know what I'd do without this forum.

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2024, 07:50:54 PM »

Hope it works for you - do let us know.

Hurdity x