Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hair loss  (Read 283 times)

EJ14

• First Flush
Hair loss
« on: July 01, 2024, 03:49:20 PM »

Hi ladies
I'm new to this forum, 49 and struggling big time with this perimenopause.
Apart from the usual, mood swings, crying not recognising myself I have had significant hair loss. I started hrt approx 6 months ago the evorel sequi. On this I felt my hair started falling out, in clumps. I was,switched to evorel 50 and utrogestren. I don't know if this is helping with hair loss. I know my hair volume was thinning
before hrt, but I feel the hrt has sped it up.
It has not helped with confidence that I found out my husband of 20 years had been secretly  messaging a women for two years.
Any hoo, any advices warmly welcomed x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hair loss
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2024, 08:02:09 PM »

That's awful for you to find out after no-matter how many years!

Hair loss can become a problem during peri-menopause.  I am sure that others on the Forum have experienced similar.

EJ14

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2024, 08:15:22 PM »

Hi there
Thank you for your reply, I appreciate you. I'll search for a thread...I just feel, you hit forty, and youre just getting your sh#t together, then bam! Menopause hits  :'(

Bandango42

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2024, 08:27:06 PM »

Hi therr

My hair started to fall out about 6 months into using evorel patches and utrogestan. Not in clumps, but definite thinning (I would find it all over my clothes, the furniture, in the plug hole etc) I've been on them for a little over 2 years now and unfortunately it hasn't got any better. It hasn't got worse though so I try not to let it bother me.

I feel for you, it isn't nice and most definitely knocks your confidence. You're by no means alone xx

bombsh3ll

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2024, 09:14:28 PM »

Hi I am sorry you're dealing with this.

It must be really upsetting to find that out about your husband, but please don't let it make you feel even more insecure about your appearance.

Whilst I have no experience or advice regarding your husband, I do want to say that you are not alone as a female facing hair loss.

Having had my hairline, which was too high to begin with, recede since my teens, I lived in hats and hairbands for years before starting to wear first toppers, then full wigs about 5 years ago.

I am glad now because my "hair" now looks better than most women's my age, and especially now my bio hair which I keep buzzed is starting to grey - I don't have to dump a bunch of toxic chemicals on my head every 4 weeks or spend money on hairdressers!

I know that those new to hair loss can feel uncomfortable about alternative hair, but I can highly recommend watching some of the videos on YouTube by other women - Denise Sheets is really good, and two brands of topper that I love are John Renau and Rene of Paris.

No matter what anyone may try to tell you, or rather sell you, there's no good treatment for hair loss. No shampoo, no lotions, no lasers, pills or microneedling etc.

Save your money and avoid further heartache.

There's no evidence it is caused by any type of hormone therapy either so don't blame yourself for anything you have taken or done etc. It is common in women who do and don't take hormones, but because there's so much shame and stigma around hair loss especially as a woman people just hide it and don't talk about it so you think it's rare when it really, really isn't.

Also I would keep it off your medical records as it could potentially be used to deny you testosterone either now or in the future, even though in most cases female hair loss is not androgen driven.

Sugarant

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2024, 10:10:34 AM »

I also struggle with the psychological effects of hair loss. My hair began to shed just before I started on HRT and continued thinning for about a year while I got the dose stabilised. Handfuls and handfuls in the shower, until I reduced my hair washing to only once a week because it upset me so much to see it. I would say that hair loss and brain fog have been the toughest things for me to accept, as they're constant reminders of my new state of being.

Once my HRT dose stabilised though (Evorel 100 + utrogestan), I did find that my shedding stopped. From what I've read, it seems that any kind of hormone imbalance or fluctuation can have an effect on your hair, but often a month or two later, so it's really hard to identify the specific change that's caused it. I've used a lot of serums and tried dermarolling and red light therapy to try and stimulate new growth, especially at the temples where the receding is super noticeable, and while I've seen a tiny bit of new growth, nothing to really justify the work and expense I've been putting into it  :) But even though it hasn't grown back, I do feel a bit better about it now that I'm back to shedding an almost normal amount.

Hopefully, once your body adjusts to the HRT, you'll stop seeing so much shedding. And I'm sorry about your recent discovery too. Sending hugs xx