Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Help with Mirena/patch combo  (Read 179 times)

gecko99

• First Flush
Help with Mirena/patch combo
« on: June 29, 2024, 10:53:37 PM »

Hi,

I am 57, used to use the combined continuous patch (Estalis) and had no problems with it.  Following a hysteroscopy and D&C for unexplained vaginal bleeding the doctor put me on the Mirena coil and estrogel, two pumps daily.  Since starting this regimen two months ago I have had problems with my skin - dryness and redness and first spots since I was a teenager!

I want to stop using the gel and go back to the patches - are there issues with this as i will effectively be taking a higher level of progesterone?  Should I change to an estrogen only patch?

Thanks in advance :)

sheila99

Re: Help with Mirena/patch combo
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2024, 07:48:46 AM »

An oestrogen only patch would be better. As you say you'll have too much progesterone if you use a conti patch.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2024, 01:51:59 PM »

I have recently had a coil and I also take estradot50. The good thing about the coil is that you can adjust the amount of oestrogen you use as there are a lot of different sized patches

Pa2ita

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2024, 02:59:41 PM »

Hello, I'm 53 and am also using Mirena and Oestrogel. I had a really bumpy start wit the mirena, spots, feeling incredibly tired and emotionally drained. I was told to ride it out, as the adjustment to the hormones takes 3 months at least. I am now feeling a lot better, so perhaps you need to give it another month?

On a separate note, my periods have become so light that I don't even need the menstrual cup anymore, but I seem to be spotting many days of the month. Have you had similar symptoms?