Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Slynd  (Read 18513 times)

CrispyChick

Re: Slynd
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2024, 08:08:45 AM »

That's amazing. Thanks so much for replying.

You said earlier that your lucette pill didnt have enough E in it for you. So you switched from a 30mg combined pill to hrt - and find this better???

Thanks x

Redrocks

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2024, 01:03:35 PM »

Absolutely, yeah 👍

karab

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2024, 10:26:13 PM »

CrispyChick pointed out this thread to me; I just started Slynd and so far I love it.  I was on 200 mg progesterone nightly and having two periods a month and some other problematic sx.  I'm perimenopausal and am using it with .1125 estradiol patch.

I was scared to try Slynd because I had read some negative reviews, but they may have all been from younger people who had not yet begun perimenopause.

I am in the U.S. and it wasn't hard to get it; many online pharmacies here will prescribe it.  I think I am paying around $20 US for a pack here, with insurance.

Kara

Redrocks

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2024, 06:50:50 AM »

That's great news! I just wish the UK would be a bit quicker to catch up. It's available, but for only one website to sell it and alot of GPs being reluctant to prescribe it, I think is ridiculous and really frustrating.

karab

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2024, 07:32:16 AM »

I don't think very many people know about it here either; I've seen friends moved from progesterone to the mirena where's it's obviously not working great and slynd is never mentioned.  I'm not sure everyone knows the profile is significantly different than the previous progestin only birth control.  I really trust my clinician and she says it's great, and that most people feel better on it.

In case others are reading this post, I have read that people can be hungry or tired the first couple of weeks on Slynd.  I am definitely noticing I am eating more, nothing crazy, but overall I feel a lot better.

Interested to hear others' experiences over time.

Kara

karab

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2024, 03:36:48 AM »

Just bumping this post to see how others on Slynd are doing.  I have been taking it for over a month now and it feels much more even for me than the micronized progesterone, with far less bloating, and I think I have already lost weight.

I am having breakthrough bleeding that feels like my body trying to have a period however -- other PMS symptoms like joint pain, trouble sleeping, and hunger are present, so I am considering whether or not to take breaks when this happens, especially if it is not technically time for the inert pills.  My provider endorsed me taking the active pills continuously, or taking breaks from them to have a bleed, or taking half of a pill for a while to potentially support a bleed while minimizing sx.   

I have seen many have breakthrough bleeding in the first few months, and I wonder if I'm slowing my progression to no bleeds at all if I keep taking breaks from the active pills to promote bleeding and PMS resets.  What are others doing, if you are even having the breakthrough bleeding?

Kara

Redrocks

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2024, 08:27:33 AM »

I'd give it a bit more time to settle. At least 3 months.i take it continuously and had spotting after a month of starting for about a week but nothing since, and I'm just coming to the end of my third pack.

Sugarant

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2024, 01:06:29 PM »

I have found this forum specifically by searching for information on Slynd (drospirenone), so thank you to those who've posted about it!

I went through menopause at 41 and was on 100 estrogen + 2 x utrogestan for about 2 years, which worked really well for me. Then my consultant upped my estrogen to 150 and I basically haven't stopped bleeding since, even though I reverted back to the 100 patches. She's just prescribed me Slynd 4mg as a replacement progesterone but even though it's now recommended for HRT, the only first-hand accounts I could find were people using it as birth control, and a lot of them had significant hair loss on it. I had terrible hair loss when I first went through menopause and it's never grown back, but it has at least stopped falling out. I'm terrified of starting on Slynd in case the hair loss starts again.

Has anyone who's switched to Slynd as part of their HRT experienced hair loss? Or does that only happen if you're not also taking estrogen? Also, did you find that it affected your sleep? I've never slept as well in my life as since I started taking the progesterone, and it's the one thing about menopause I'm grateful for!

Many thanks in advance. x

karab

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2024, 03:36:47 AM »

Oh, even with 300 mg progesterone I could never sleep as well as before perimenopause; I'm envious!  I sleep okay on slynd, not the best over, but well enough, and I couldn't sleep on anything less than 200 mg micronized progesterone every night.

I can tell you I also found those reports of hair loss on slynd and was scared; I had already lost so much hair.  I had the same issues as you, did great until I needed more estrogen, then started bleeding way too often.  No amount of progesterone seemed to fix this and re-establish the balance (that's how I got put on 300 mg progesterone for a while).  I tried going back down on estrogen, but had tons of problems, so I got put on Slynd.

I have been working on the hair loss for years now, so I can tell you one thing I've been told by doctors is that we are often seeing the results of things impacting our hair 3 months later -- so if something improves the state of hair it can also take 3 months to show.  Things can cause immediate hair loss, but also may show up /later/ -- which can complicate knowing what hrt dose is affecting our hair, if we are making changes.  My practitioner also says merely /making/ changes can cause hair loss, which may regrow when we are stable at a dose, or making changes too quickly can cause hair loss.  She has encouraged me to make changes slowly.

My tentative conclusion after reading Slynd reviews was the people reporting hair loss were using Slynd for birth control.  This is significant, because Slynd affects your body's natural production of estrogen, so it was /reducing/ their levels of estrogen.  I think, fortunately and unfortunately, it means that may be less relevant for those of us on estradiol, but it makes sense it would still be a risk. 

So far on the Slynd (one month) I would say it is either the same or maybe a very slight increase in the hair loss I was having on micronized progesterone, but I've only been on it a month and I think it has slightly affected my estrogen. My clinician said it was effectively a higher dose than 200 mg micronized progesterone.  I noticed minor differences in my skin that can happen around the lowest estrogen part of my cycle are continuous now.  If I am still noticing that in a couple months, I might increase my estradiol.

There are reports that Slynd also helps with hair loss, so I am going to try it for another couple months at least.  When I've finished 3 months I'll update about it, including hair loss information.  One thing I'm curious about is the slynd metabolizes much more slowly than the micronized progesterone, so it stays in your system the better part of 24 hours.  I am curious if this will help with hair loss, because when my hair loss was best was when I was at a higher progesterone dose and didn't need as much estrogen to balance it. 

Did you notice anything about what improved your hair loss or made it worse?  You seem to have a similar profile and I have some theories, but it doesn't seem like clinicians are totally clear about this.  I can tell you my hair loss got temporarily a lot better when I started hrt -- I regrew most of my lost hair.  Then later in increasing my estradiol doses I lost even more.  I'm not sure if this was from making so many changes, or because my dose of progesterone wasn't working well enough as my estrogen got higher. 

Sugarant

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2024, 10:46:00 AM »

Hi Kara, thanks so much for your detailed response, that's really helpful.

I can't seem to narrow down the actual cause of hair loss beyond hormone changes/imbalance, so it feels like any change to HRT will probably affect it?! I was wondering whether to slightly increase my estrogen dose while switching to Slynd, to counteract any estrogen drop until my body gets used to it, but I've no idea if that will work. I think because I seemed to go through menopause so abruptly, my hormones were at post-menopause levels immediately, so I didn't seem to have any cycle for a time and the hair loss was very significant. Gradually though, I do seem to be having some sort of cycle again but because I'm bleeding all the time, I never know where I am in it!

Really interesting what you said about progesterone and hair loss. I didn't actually know you could take 300mg progesterone so I might give that a go and see if it reduces the bleeding until I can get another call with my consultant. Once I'd researched Slynd, I tried to call back to discuss the side effects but I had to leave a message and only got a letter in response that didn't answer my question. I'll need to wait for my next appointment to properly discuss. I'm not convinced she'll know though, as it seems to be so new on the HRT programme. And I'd been a bit of an insomniac my whole life before menopause, so the progesterone effects on my sleep were like a gift from on high!  ;D

Re the hair loss - I made the classic mistake of throwing everything at it at once. The hair loss slowed about 18 months ago when I finally got the HRT levels stabilised, but I'd also started using dermarolling with The Ordinary's Hair Density Serum, which definitely thickened up the hair that was left and I also saw a little bit of new growth, although not very much. It's never gone back to its previous level. The last few months, I've been using a red light device at the temples in place of the dermarolling, where the hair loss was most visible (and I was most self-conscious) and I am seeing a bit more new growth. My increased estrogen dose was also kicking in at that time, but I don't know whether that would have made new hair grow?

I also had clumps falling out of my eyebrows and I used both an eyebrow/eyelash serum as well as the hair density one and they grew back. They still occasionally get bald patches but it grows back much quicker now.

Updating to add that I also tried Nioxin, but it was SO expensive and made no more difference than the other serum. A friend of mine is taking a supplement and she thinks she's seen a bit of improvement but is still in the first 2 months so I'm waiting for her results!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2024, 10:51:22 AM by Sugarant »

karab

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2024, 06:58:00 AM »

Sugarant, sounds like you started Slynd -- from another thread -- how is it going?

I seem to have significantly increased hair loss about 2 months in now, but I'm going to try to stick it out for 3 months and see if I can recover.  I did go up from a .1125 estradiol patch to a .125 because I had symptoms of lower estrogen after about a month, so I'm hoping this helps.  I really hope it is reversible.  Otherwise, the Slynd is great. 

In case others check this thread, I did have hunger and tiredness the first month on Slynd, but they got better by the second month and better again with slightly increased estrogen dose.

Kara

Sugarant

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2024, 10:16:01 PM »

I've only been on it for less than 2 weeks but the bleeding does seem to be stopping. I am still worried about the hair loss though and wondering whether to add a bit of extra estrogen in the meantime, to try and head it off. I have to admit though, since increasing my original estrogen dose, I haven't actually felt great. My overall anxiety and stress have returned, and I've had a lot of bad moods and over-reaction to things. I've also found my memory has worsened again and the brain fog is starting to return. I have no idea if it's just a coincidence, or another imbalance between the estrogen and progesterone, but I'm frustrated to be back in so much flux after a long period of stability!

@Karab Fingers crossed the increased estrogen helps stop and then reverse the hair loss. Hair growth is so slow to monitor but halting the shedding would be an excellent start!

Sugarant

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2024, 03:59:10 PM »

Has anyone else had sleep issues on Slynd? About three days after I started taking it, I seemed to lose the ability to sleep, just like when I first went through menopause. After a blissful few years of the progesterone knocking me out within half an hour, I'm actually gutted to be back where I started! I'm lying in bed for hours, mind busy, body wide awake and getting about 3 hours sleep a night.

I use the calm app before bed, play white noise all night and have gone back to taking magnesium before bed but nothing helps. The only thing that's changed is the switch from Utrogestan to Slynd. Has anyone else experienced similar when they switched?
Pages: 1 [2]