Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Cat backpacks  (Read 2495 times)

jaypo

Re: Cat backpacks
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2024, 01:20:54 PM »

Oh no how awful for that deer but sadly that's typical of the RSPCA,don't seem to be interested in wild animals 🤷‍♀️

Katherine

« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2024, 01:43:30 PM »

I do agree the RSPCA do a huge amount of good. We’ve had 2 cats from them. I just think there can’t be that many injured animals like the deer or seagulls mentioned at any given moment. There must be someone who could help them. I guess they are hoping they will be helped by a vet but vets are expensive and most people can’t afford to do that.

What I’m trying to say is you would think the RSPCA would have the resources to help some wild animals, I doubt they get many calls about them as most won’t be seen by the public.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2024, 06:33:55 PM by Katherine »

getting_old

« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2024, 09:48:38 PM »

These days I'm not really sure what the RSPCA does. I'm sure a lot depends on where you live and what services they offer, but the only thing I ever see is their charity shops. I seem to recall there was some scandal about one of their CEOs a few years back?
I suppose they are named "prevention of cruelty to animals" but I'd like to think that they would rescue / help any animal that is suffering or in danger.
A look at their website and their focus seems to be more about being politically correct than caring about animals  :'(

Tracy t

« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2024, 01:27:32 AM »

There are lots of injured wildlife the thing is pets still creste money wildlife dosent I have seen a lot of folk helping them more than any charity's  thank god for those 🙏

jaypo

« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2024, 07:27:24 AM »

I'm one of those that can't cope with seeing an animal in distress, I remember as a young adult I wanted to work with the sspca (as it is in Scotland) but you had to go to a slaughter house and witness animals being killed,no way could I do that,wonder if they still do that now 🤷‍♀️

Tracy t

« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2024, 05:13:56 PM »

I'm same jaypo I was studying to be a vet at school but I had to go see the  euthanasia side too couldn't do that so I opted out plus now I understand more there a business to and it's not always for the good of the animal more the money so I'm glad I became a mum instead of chasing that career although on the other side I could ov maybe helped lower prices and help animals but I was joung I didn't see that then like I do now I have real problems with animals especially exotic being kept has pets in inhumane conditions im too sensitive to go too deep I don't eat lamb or 21 day old beef for the same reason it's food to survive  shouldn't be because it's more tender I found out about leather use for products too it's not from already used meat skin they breed them specially for there Hyde's just puts me off there's no need we have plenty without having to be cruel for needs 🤗

jaypo

« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2024, 06:16:36 PM »

Yep,sadly a lot of animals are used as a commodity,I became vegetarian over 30 years ago but I still cook meat for my OH but refuse point blank to cook veal or lobster 🤢🤢 I don't enjoy cooking meat but I just switch off when I do it

Katherine

« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2024, 06:43:28 PM »

I can’t bear to see an animal in distress either. I could never have been a vet as I couldn’t put a healthy animal to sleep. I often feel that my cats vet is overpriced. Like why is it £11 for one worming tablet? I guess you’re paying for the running of the surgery really.

jaypo

« Reply #68 on: Today at 11:17:44 AM »

Katherine have you tried the likes of viovet or pets drugs online? Much cheaper. My now deceased German Shepherd was on a paste called Canikur which my vet charged £29 but online........£11 😳😳 as mentioned before,vets (some) are  in it to make money more than the love of the animal 🤨

Katherine

« Reply #69 on: Today at 02:14:11 PM »

Hi Jaypo, I’ve never bought pet meds online just because I would be worried they would be fake or poor quality. If you buy from your vet or a big brand name you know what you’re getting. I’m tempted to try the ones you mentioned though.. how did you know they were good, were they recommended to you? I sometimes feel like vets have your head over a barrel, they know you love your pet and want the best for them. When I reacted with shock to the cost of the worm tablet the receptionist didn’t even say anything, like
She knew I would pay anyway and I did! ;D

jaypo

« Reply #70 on: Today at 05:15:08 PM »

No no,they're reputable companies,they sell the exact same brands as your vet,they ask a few questions about the age weight,breed etc of your pet,if it's a prescription only med,you just get it from your vet and send it via email to them and you'll be half the price. The canikur I bought was the exact same brand as my vet sold,nothing dodgey  :)

getting_old

« Reply #71 on: Today at 07:21:20 PM »

I've definitely seen how vets have transitioned over the years, from being James Herriot to a business. I was another who wanted to be a vet as a child, but couldn't cope with the thought that they may not survive. I think most vets do care, but like surgeons have to maintain a distance so they are not emotionally involved, and that's something I couldn't do.
These days I am probably a vet's worst client as I question and research everything. I had one vet try to give 3 different pain medications after a minor surgery which would have knocked the poor dog out for weeks, and probably caused all sorts of other problems long term, and they weren't happy when I refused  ::)
I think we have to advocate for our pets, actually all animals, in the same way we have to advocate for ourselves these days.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]