Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Breast ultrasound advice  (Read 797 times)

zenith

• First Flush
Breast ultrasound advice
« on: June 26, 2024, 04:04:42 PM »

I've been advised by the breast clinic to ask my GP to refer me for a breast ultrasound, instead of a mammogram, as I have ASD... When I told my GP she stated that she wasn't aware of how to refer - I thought this odd, and have not heard back.

Does anyone have any experience of this and know how to go about it?
Thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Breast ultrasound advice
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2024, 04:27:26 PM »

I would ring the X-ray dept directly and ask the question.  Your GP should have asked around her colleagues !!!!

It was the same when my appendix single suture was ready for removal, my GP had NO idea!  Under my guidance of 'cut both ends and pull gently' ........  ::)

Ultra sound is in my opinion better.

Jules

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2024, 07:02:38 PM »

The breast clinic at the hospital will do an ultrasound. It's done by someone who knows what to look for. Breast consultant did mine.

VioletAquarius

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2024, 10:50:19 PM »

I had an ultrasound of my armpits (to check for breast cancer as was having armpit pain), and my gp sent me to the normal ultrasound department at the hospital.

I've also had an ultrasound of my breasts in the mammogram clinic at the hospital,

HellsBells

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2024, 11:05:13 AM »

I only have ultrasounds - a mammogram missed an aggressive cancer and an ultrasound found it 10 months later. I also have thermography.

If you have dense breasts an ultrasound is more effective and does not deliver any radiation to sensitive tissue.

bombsh3ll

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2024, 05:09:46 PM »

That's really strange - generally if a breast clinic feel a patient requires a specific imaging test they would arrange it directly.

They would not usually bounce it back to the GP for a referral.

Rules can be different between health boards but GPs cannot refer directly for some tests, they would have to refer you to a hospital clinic, which would then arrange imaging as necessary.

In this case it would be the breast clinic!

Excuse my ignorance but by ASD do you mean autistic spectrum disorder? I can't see why this would have any bearing on your breast imaging.

Unless you mean they have recommended an MRI scan and you would find the noise and being in an enclosed space difficult to tolerate?

Even so, the breast clinic would normally arrange alternative imaging directly.

Is this routine screening, high risk screening or have you got any symptoms e.g. a lump?

Jules

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2024, 12:29:55 PM »

A lot of us find mammograms a challenge. Discomfort or pain, just being trapped in that machine and the idea of it. I would prefer a different method. I suppose the question was about how to get the referral and not why it's been requested. I'm certain a GP can find out how to do it. It shouldn't be the patient's job to find out.

bombsh3ll

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2024, 09:00:03 PM »

Why it has been requested makes a big difference though - if it is for routine asymptomatic screening then it doesn't matter as much if the bureaucratic wheels turn slowly, and if need be the GP practice can liaise with the screening service.

If the patient has symptoms such as a lump or other breast changes this dramatically changes both the timescale and the referral pathway.

Jules

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2024, 10:48:44 PM »

Why it has been requested makes a big difference though - if it is for routine asymptomatic screening then it doesn't matter as much if the bureaucratic wheels turn slowly, and if need be the GP practice can liaise with the screening service.

If the patient has symptoms such as a lump or other breast changes this dramatically changes both the timescale and the referral pathway.

That's right, but not how her ASD is relevant.