Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: HRT Review Update  (Read 600 times)

Kathleen

HRT Review Update
« on: June 26, 2024, 12:20:25 PM »

Hello ladies.

As promised an update after my recent HRT review with the Senior Nurse Practitioner at my GP surgery. The results were a mixed bag!

I reiterated that my main symptoms continue to be the emotional ones where I feel that I am on a mood rollercoaster every day. This was diagnosed by my Consultant in a letter written a year ago so the surgery are aware. I also mentioned that my VA symptoms have increased but I can manage those.  The nurse noted that my blood test in February showed very low Oestradiol and that she would like to see my levels increase to 200 pmol/L.  I am reluctant to increase my Sandrena gel dose as I am fearful of spotting etc so we agreed that I will stay on one sachet and test again in a few months.

I asked if I could be referred to a psychiatrist because I need to know if my problems are entirely hormone related. I have been told many times by various medics that HRT is not very effective  in treating the psychological symptoms however I have also been taking an AD for a long time. Amazingly she said that there aren't any psychiatrists available and there is a national shortage! This was surprising to  hear as a quick Google shows NHS and private psychiatrist in my area.
The nurse did point out however that there is capacity in the mental health service for the over 65 s. I assume this is to help with dementia but the nurse didn't really know. I have agreed to be referred so I will let you all know if it is helpful in any way. I sort of doubt it but at least I am in the NHS system now so perhaps I will get to see a psychiatrist via this route.

I hope this is helpful ladies and any of you over 65 may want to see if a similar service is available to you.

Wishing you all well and take care.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT Review Update
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2024, 01:19:30 PM »

There is a national shortage across the UK of Coroners, GPs, Consultants in most specialities, Nurses, Pharmacists - due to retirement age, low morale and lack of support.  There mayB access to various specialities listed on NHS websites but many have such long waiting lists  :-\  :'( even in the private sector.