Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Escitalopram start up - peeing a lot !  (Read 704 times)

Orba

Escitalopram start up - peeing a lot !
« on: June 22, 2024, 08:06:28 PM »

Hi 
So after struggling with anxiety for months I tried CBT, meditation and CBD oil which helped a bit.  I'd  been having  IBS symptoms for over 8 months and was woken every morning with cramps. After the usual tests proved negative I admitted what I suspected all along it was being caused by my over worrying/ anxiety.
I'm on systematic HRT so that box was ticked.
I asked the GP for Citalopram as I'd had it years ago for similar issues but after 3 days I stopped as side effects were awful.  I waited a month then spoke with another GP who prescribed Escitalopram 10 mg instead. Am on day 11 , think I've had most side effects on the common list , I hate feeling nauseous but I'm pushing on , however I'm experiencing episodes of urinary frequency - and I mean every 10 mins  for an hour or so. It's so agitating  :(.   
I have found it as a side effect on some Google sites.
Was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this on an anti anxiety med  and how long it went on for. 
I do have anxiety around my bladder after having a recurrent UTI last year so this isn't helping
I so just want to feel better,, and I ' ll admit there  have been moments where I've thought why am I taking this.
If anyone read this far thank you.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Escitalopram start up - peeing a lot !
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2024, 08:31:22 PM »

When I come down from a panic attack - which can last for hours - I pee, great quantity, every 10 mins as my body relaxes.  When do you take the AD?  It may work as an anti-anxiety but a dedicated pill might be better.  My GP prescribed Propranolol to ease those early monring surges, initially 80mg 3 times a day for 4 weeks; then 40mg twice a  day for 3 week then 20mg for several years.  Helped a lot.

Bachs rescue remedy mouth spray helped too. 

Remind me: was your urine tested in a Lab for infections?  R U using appropriate vaginal atrophy to ease any bladder issues?

Penguin

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2024, 08:46:35 PM »

Most ssris including citalopram (which I've taken) and fluoxetine which I am on now have frequent urination as a side effect. I found that it starts awhile after taking it then eases off as the day progresses. Citalopram peaks in blood 6-8 hours after taking in then declines and this tallies with when I'd get the frequent urination as i would take it around 7am and by early pm I'd be fine again. That and a dry mouth were common for me. Escitalopram is a sister drug to citalopram but is classed as cleaner, however the side effects are similar.
Tbh this side effect did continue the whole 18 months I was on citalopram but I got used to it. That and a dry mouth! I really wouldn't worry, this is common. My psychiatrist confirmed the same with fluoxetine when I saw him two weeks ago.

Orba

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2024, 10:06:25 PM »

When I come down from a panic attack - which can last for hours - I pee, great quantity, every 10 mins as my body relaxes.  When do you take the AD?  It may work as an anti-anxiety but a dedicated pill might be better.  My GP prescribed Propranolol to ease those early monring surges, initially 80mg 3 times a day for 4 weeks; then 40mg twice a  day for 3 week then 20mg for several years.  Helped a lot.

Bachs rescue remedy mouth spray helped too. 

Remind me: was your urine tested in a Lab for infections?  R U using appropriate vaginal atrophy to ease any bladder issues?

Hi,  my first thought was UTI but don't have any other symptoms of this  and it seems to be associated with taking the ecit.  I'm on a daily phrohy antibiotic for  UTI prevention also.
I'm using imvaggis and Blissel for VA.
I'm hoping it settles. 
I ll look at getting some Bach's remedy thanks- never thought of that !

Orba

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2024, 10:11:37 PM »

Most ssris including citalopram (which I've taken) and fluoxetine which I am on now have frequent urination as a side effect. I found that it starts awhile after taking it then eases off as the day progresses. Citalopram peaks in blood 6-8 hours after taking in then declines and this tallies with when I'd get the frequent urination as i would take it around 7am and by early pm I'd be fine again. That and a dry mouth were common for me. Escitalopram is a sister drug to citalopram but is classed as cleaner, however the side effects are similar.
Tbh this side effect did continue the whole 18 months I was on citalopram but I got used to it. That and a dry mouth! I really wouldn't worry, this is common. My psychiatrist confirmed the same with fluoxetine when I saw him two weeks ago.
Thanks for reply.
I take it at lunchtime so it starts affecting me later on in the afternoon or when I'm making dinner ! Maybe I should take it early evening. I'm hoping once I feel calmer I won't be as bothered but at the moment I feel agitated - which I know is another side effect in the start up weeks.  You have reassured me .

Penguin

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2024, 06:46:46 AM »

If you take it in the evening it might impact your sleep (and still might make you pee overnight). I take mine first thing in the morning and then have a nice calm afternoon and evening.
If it was a uti it'd be all the time not just in the afternoon, so I reckon you can safely assume it's the medication.
Persevere with the medication if you can, it takes at least 6 weeks to fully take effect.
I'd also suggest eating something small with the nausea, that used to help me, even just a banana and some nuts. There are lots of serotonin receptors in the gut which get unregulated on ssri medication, and upset acid production which eating something often alleviates.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2024, 08:29:17 AM »

High anxiety levels can caused increased urination so if some1 is worried about adding another medication into the mix, that may be why Uneed2P more often.    The ?? daily ?? AB should act as an anti-inflammatory but if there is no evidence of infection in regular urine tests, then VA treatment mayB worth a try.

Orba

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2024, 04:35:46 PM »

If you take it in the evening it might impact your sleep (and still might make you pee overnight). I take mine first thing in the morning and then have a nice calm afternoon and evening.
If it was a uti it'd be all the time not just in the afternoon, so I reckon you can safely assume it's the medication.
Persevere with the medication if you can, it takes at least 6 weeks to fully take effect.
I'd also suggest eating something small with the nausea, that used to help me, even just a banana and some nuts. There are lots of serotonin receptors in the gut which get unregulated on ssri medication, and upset acid production which eating something often alleviates.
Thank you for input. Im only on day 12 so suppose it needs longer to work, I'm hoping as time passes the side effects ease.its not an easy journey and feel  a bit  isolated by it sometimes. On the plus side I do feel a bit calmer.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2024, 05:51:51 PM »

We are all different so it stands to reason that some medications will 'work' differently.  Make sure that you are well hydrated, if you reduce the amount of drink your kidneys will work harder = more pee excreted.  Don't 4get that we get liquids from our food/drink overall.