Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Period for 19 days so far....Still ongoing  (Read 605 times)

samson1706

Period for 19 days so far....Still ongoing
« on: June 23, 2024, 07:13:15 AM »

Hi everyone,

It's me again 🥴 well I went to the doctor after all your advice and was put on tranexamic tablets for 4 days. It just slowed down my heavy period but got worse when I had to stop tablets and I flooded so doctor put me on norethisterone tablets for 10 days only and I was put on ferrous fumarate tablets as I felt dizzy and extremely tired. Had bloods done and my haemoglobin is 158, haematocrit 4.9 and my platelets at 108 which is low and my ferritin is at 23. Doctor has said it's abnormal but expected. She wants me to have the mirena coil but I don't want it. Is it normal to have the blood test I had to be left or should I push doctor to investigate further as I can't go on bleeding so heavy like this everyday as it is affecting my work.

Any advice much appreciated

Jx

Any advice

jaypo

Re: Period for 19 days so far....Still ongoing
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2024, 08:18:31 AM »

Have they checked for fibroids?

samson1706

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2024, 09:07:58 AM »

Have they checked for fibroids?

I had an ultrasound scan and the other camera (can't remember what it is called) up the vagina over 5-6 years ago and then they said I had numerous fibroids but not had another scan since x

jaypo

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2024, 10:10:27 AM »

I'm not saying it IS fibroids but you really should get that checked out again. I had a few and they didn't shrink,so I ended up getting a partial hysterectomy,which was the best thing I did for my situation. Terrible flooding,periods lasting up to 25 days,huge blood clots,don't let it get to that, before they check them out again x

samson1706

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2024, 11:05:36 AM »

I'm not saying it IS fibroids but you really should get that checked out again. I had a few and they didn't shrink,so I ended up getting a partial hysterectomy,which was the best thing I did for my situation. Terrible flooding,periods lasting up to 25 days,huge blood clots,don't let it get to that, before they check them out again x

I will thanks as before I had the norethisterone tablets I bled for over 6 weeks so only had 8 days break then started up again heavy...I have been thinking just going for a hysterectomy in anyway tbh as I can't constantly miss work like this but Dr keeps going on about the mirena coil but I don't want it...shouldn't it be my choice? X

jaypo

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2024, 03:50:55 PM »

Yes,definitely your choice,they offer everything first before a hysterectomy,I had tablets,which did nothing,an endometrial ablation,which worked for about 2 months but in the end,it had to be the op,was such a relief afterwards,they left the ovaries,so I didn't go straight to menopause and it was done vaginally,so I was basically out the next day

Nas

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2024, 04:02:32 PM »

Hi
I agree with jaypo. A partial hysterectomy could be the way forward. Heavy bleeding is awful and very debilitating.

Mirena does have an excellent reputation at keeping the womb lining thin. What are your reasons for not wanting one?

samson1706

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2024, 05:05:35 PM »

Yes,definitely your choice,they offer everything first before a hysterectomy,I had tablets,which did nothing,an endometrial ablation,which worked for about 2 months but in the end,it had to be the op,was such a relief afterwards,they left the ovaries,so I didn't go straight to menopause and it was done vaginally,so I was basically out the next day

It sounds so good...I'm already going through the hot flushes etc etc so hopefully that would be it. I'm just wondering with the way the NHS is now would there be a long waiting time though 🙄

samson1706

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2024, 05:09:40 PM »

Hi
I agree with jaypo. A partial hysterectomy could be the way forward. Heavy bleeding is awful and very debilitating.

Mirena does have an excellent reputation at keeping the womb lining thin. What are your reasons for not wanting one?

Yes it quite debilitating. Even worse when I have to be on my feet 12hrs a day working.
I really don’t want the mirena as things can go wrong with it and also the pain to insert. I just don't really want a foreign object inside me tbh but that's me 🫣

Thanks 😊

jaypo

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2024, 06:21:40 PM »

I understand that, I personally wouldn't want one either,at least with a hysterectomy it's done and dusted. No idea the waiting times,it's so different from hospital to hospital

bombsh3ll

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2024, 06:47:46 PM »

A hysterectomy is major surgery and not to be taken lightly, however it is reasonable to be referred to gynae to at least discuss this option.

They are very likely to want you to try the mirena or at least have a good argument planned for why not.

I would not cite possible complications as far worse can happen during or after an operation. Progestin intolerance and the idea of a foreign body are more likely to be accepted. Also what about those fibroids, for example do you get pain, pressure or urinary symptoms such as frequency and urgency...? A mirena wouldn't address those but a hysterectomy would.

A hysterectomy would also allow you to take estrogen only HRT. Which is often better tolerated than combined.

Also I don't know how old you are or how close to menopause you might be - personally I take the combined pill continuously for menstrual suppression. I don't bleed at all nor do I have any peri symptoms, and plan to continue it until menopause can be reasonably assumed then switch to licenced hormone therapy. This is much easier and safer than a hysterectomy.

But everyone is different and you deserve to discuss this with a gynaecologist. Endometrial ablation may also be an option however fibroids can sometimes make this difficult or not feasible.

samson1706

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2024, 07:48:14 PM »

A hysterectomy is major surgery and not to be taken lightly, however it is reasonable to be referred to gynae to at least discuss this option.

They are very likely to want you to try the mirena or at least have a good argument planned for why not.

I would not cite possible complications as far worse can happen during or after an operation. Progestin intolerance and the idea of a foreign body are more likely to be accepted. Also what about those fibroids, for example do you get pain, pressure or urinary symptoms such as frequency and urgency...? A mirena wouldn't address those but a hysterectomy would.

A hysterectomy would also allow you to take estrogen only HRT. Which is often better tolerated than combined.

Also I don't know how old you are or how close to menopause you might be - personally I take the combined pill continuously for menstrual suppression. I don't bleed at all nor do I have any peri symptoms, and plan to continue it until menopause can be reasonably assumed then switch to licenced hormone therapy. This is much easier and safer than a hysterectomy.

But everyone is different and you deserve to discuss this with a gynaecologist. Endometrial ablation may also be an option however fibroids can sometimes make this difficult or not feasible.

I am 52. As for the fibroids yes I do get pain and urgency to use the bathroom.

I always have had heavy periods but actually stopped for 3 months then started again for 8 days , then stopped for 5 months then period for 6 days then stopped for over 6 months then started end of April until now with break of 8 days with the aid of norethisterone tablets...past 3 days since starting up again very heavy.

I cannot take the HRT due to close family cancers and DVT'S so I just take supplements.

I know I need to be referred to a gynaecologist so I can discuss what to do as I cannot go on like this no more especially when it is affecting my platelets too.

Thanks 😊

samson1706

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2024, 07:50:11 PM »

I understand that, I personally wouldn't want one either,at least with a hysterectomy it's done and dusted. No idea the waiting times,it's so different from hospital to hospital

Can I ask, with what you went through did it affect your blood work? Did your haemoglobin and haematocrit levels go high?

bombsh3ll

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2024, 09:30:11 PM »

It sounds like you are so close to the finish line that even if you were put on the waiting list tomorrow you would probably have stopped for good by the time the surgery came.

Fibroids causing symptoms due to mass effect could possibly still warrant surgery though.

In the meantime what about the mini pill desogestrel? It is kinder than norethisterone. One 75mcg pill is often not enough for suppression but taking a double dose daily shuts most people down.

Hypoestrogenism with this is less of a concern as you are past the average age of natural menopause.

samson1706

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2024, 02:25:48 AM »

It sounds like you are so close to the finish line that even if you were put on the waiting list tomorrow you would probably have stopped for good by the time the surgery came.

Fibroids causing symptoms due to mass effect could possibly still warrant surgery though.

In the meantime what about the mini pill desogestrel? It is kinder than norethisterone. One 75mcg pill is often not enough for suppression but taking a double dose daily shuts most people down.

Hypoestrogenism with this is less of a concern as you are past the average age of natural menopause.

I hope you are right that I am close as this is taking it's toll on me. I will call the doctor this morning to as about the mini pill just to get this stopped for now as I have been up all night spent mostly in the bathroom.
Pages: [1] 2