Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Vaginal Atrophy (GSM)  (Read 1252 times)

Ayesha

Vaginal Atrophy (GSM)
« on: June 20, 2024, 09:56:58 AM »

Quotes from the Position Statement for Management of Genitourinary Syndrome of the Menopause (GSM) and the British Society for Sexual Medicine (BSSM) that members might find useful.
These are the guidelines that I will be following as I go forward with this life long condition which also gives me a voice if I come across resistance on the dosage I need to keep my VA(GSM) under control.

“Studies have shown that around 70% of women have symptoms of GSM, yet only 7% receive treatment.
Women should be offered an examination and their decision to accept it or not needs to be respected.
The clinical response to treatment with topical oestrogen is usually rapid and sustained.
Women should also be advised that the information packaged with vaginal hormone preparations is out of date and factually incorrect. This needs to be changed by the MHRA.
The dose of vaginal oestrogen is very low, for example, using 10mcg oestrogen pessaries regularly for one year is an equivalent dose to just one 1mg of oestradiol HRT tablet.
If symptoms do not improve with vaginal oestrogen, consider increasing the dose, changing preparation (and consider DHEA) or using an additional treatment such as systemic HRT or two local treatments.
The frequency of using these preparations can be increased in women who have persistent symptoms as the doses of these preparations are very low.
Vaginal oestrogens can often improve urinary symptoms, including urinary infections.
Some women use vaginal oestrogen preparations more frequently than the recommended dose to improve symptoms sufficiently, for example Vagifem alternate days instead of twice a week. It is safe to use the treatment in this way as the dose is very low.
Women should be reassured that it is safe for topical oestrogen to continue in the long term (medication should be on a repeat prescription). Women should continue to be reassured about the long- term safety of vaginal oestrogen preparations." 

Dierdre

Re: Vaginal Atrophy (GSM)
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2024, 10:33:13 AM »

This is brilliant Ayesha and so reassuring. I still worry sometimes when I'm taking a lot more than prescribed to keep this under control. The stories reported on this forum of doctors trying to limit the dose or refuse treatment adds to my doubts it's ok to do so. I won't be worrying anymore.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2024, 09:57:20 PM by Dierdre »

MillieMoo10

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2024, 12:44:56 PM »

Brilliant post Ayesha thank you for sharing  :thankyou:

Jules

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2024, 01:17:34 PM »

Yeh. Thats so reassuring isnt it. Especially as Ive had to increase my dosage. If I have any problems with my prescriptions I will be referring the doc to that. I just wish we had all known this sooner then Id have started the treatment earlier and before it got to this stage.

Ayesha

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2024, 03:06:42 PM »

I am just back from my first review at my new surgery, I was all prepared for a battle but what a refreshing meeting it was to meet a wonderful nurse who was up to date on the latest findings regarding all things menopause and dosage for VA (GSM).
We were speaking the same language and I can't tell you how relieved I feel after what has been a bumpy start at my new surgery.

We can definitely be reassured reading the findings in the above report, I have to say it should empower those women who have difficulty in obtaining their treatment.

Dierdre

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2024, 04:20:59 PM »

Should make the yearly review less stressful armed with this now for those that aren't so up to date. Thanks Ayesha.

SundayGirl

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2024, 05:07:40 PM »

Ah, if only those young male GP's that seem to be appearing everywhere were made to walk a mile in a menopausal, GSM suffering ladies shoes 😁

Jules

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2024, 06:58:28 PM »

My surgery allocates female stuff to the female GPs. One of those isn't that empathetic.  She's not reached that age though yet.

SundayGirl

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2024, 08:13:48 PM »

We used to have a fabulous female GP partner at our surgery. Unfortunately, she's no longer there and we have 2 male partner GP's and a couple of trainee GP's, one of which is female. I refuse to see her though as she told me I wasn't suffering with GSM but had ovarian cancer.
One of the male GP's is the best one now for female stuff. Sadly, he's a good all round doctor so it's hard to get an appointment with him.

Bella247

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2024, 10:04:03 PM »

Thank you so much. That’s really reassuring. When I first read the leaflet in my vaginal estrogen I honestly came out in a cold sweat.

Minusminnie

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2024, 07:17:14 AM »

Thanks for finding & posting that Ayesha.

I’ve messaged Emma to ask if this thread can be made a sticky with other headers so that it is not lost amongst others. Imho everyone  with VA needs to know this at the outset.

Ayesha

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2024, 01:08:40 PM »

Thanks, Minusminnie. I'll post a link to this thread if I see any posts relating to issues treating VA(GSM), women can be frightened by the alarmist leaflet that comes with topical oestrogen.

From my experience yesterday, and I did have a detailed chat with the nurse, I would say they are your first port of call regarding anything menopause related as they are the ones being trained on all the latest findings and treatments. 

Abc123

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2024, 07:40:23 PM »

Thanks so much for this Ayesha. I've downloaded the statement and will keep it safe for it needed during treatment conversations.

Ayesha

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2024, 09:55:02 PM »

I am glad I posted it, Abc123, and all backed up by the nurse I saw yesterday.

Abc123

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2024, 07:10:35 PM »

That's brilliant it's feeding through to those who can help us Ayesha. Glad to hear you have a good nurse on your side now.
Pages: [1] 2 3