Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Estriol loading dose  (Read 346 times)

Bella247

Estriol loading dose
« on: June 19, 2024, 08:08:46 PM »

I’m asking here because honestly my GP is so annoying and doesn’t seem to know much about menopause.
I saw a gynaecologist earlier this year after a vaginal atrophy flare up. She prescribed estriol which I have been using twice a week internally and every other day externally. This has been working well but I seem to have had another flare up (which I think is exasperated by anti histamines I’ve been taking for hayfever).
Is it ok to do another weeks loading dose without consulting the GP?

Jules

Re: Estriol loading dose
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2024, 08:28:39 PM »

Bella I've just had a flare up, the first one, and my gp told me to use my vagifem every night for a week but it's now 9 days and im still using nightly. I want to be sure I'm on top of it. I don't feel able to tell you what is ok for you as we all react differently but my understanding is that increasing the frequency isn't a problem in terms of the dose. Its just about your body. I'm going to reduce mine at weekend to alternate nights and see how I go
« Last Edit: June 20, 2024, 01:29:57 PM by Jules »

Ayesha

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2024, 10:15:32 PM »

Anti histamines can cause flare ups and from the advice I have been reading in the GSM & BSSM guidelines its ok to use more to relieve symptoms.

Bella247

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2024, 09:55:11 PM »

Thanks all. That’s really reassuring. I don’t like to ask the GP because they seem to lack knowledge when it comes to vaginal dryness