Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Weight loss difficulties  (Read 2353 times)

Minicat

Re: Weight loss difficulties
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2024, 12:22:34 PM »

One thing that helped me break through a plateau was mixing up my exercise routine. Sometimes our bodies get used to the same old thing. Also, have you tried adjusting the types of foods you're eating rather than just cutting calories?

Katherine

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2024, 04:47:33 PM »

I'm planning on doing more and different exercise. I'm going to buy a treadmill as I figured I'm much more likely to exercise if I don't have to get ready and go out to do it.  I tend to stick to the same foods so I should mix it up a bit, good idea !

Jules

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2024, 04:54:49 PM »

I'm planning on doing more and different exercise. I'm going to buy a treadmill as I figured I'm much more likely to exercise if I don't have to get ready and go out to do it.  I tend to stick to the same foods so I should mix it up a bit, good idea !

I eat the same sorts of food as my digestion is sensitive, it likes my stuff, but it's all healthy so there's no problem eating the same diet unless its an unhealthy one. If you haven't already, I can recommend a lively dog for exercise. I lost weight walking my son's one week when I looked after it.

Katherine

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2024, 07:04:43 PM »

A friend who was dieting plateaud after eating the same things for weeks snd then changed her foods and that worked. I would say my diet is balanced. Mostly healthy but I do like sachets of coffee and cereal bars or cake bars as snacks. But no dessert after dinner so I guess no too bad.

Jules

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2024, 10:26:54 PM »

I don't think it's simply changing food, it maybe the type of food. Stuff that your digestive system has to work harder for and that gives your metabolism a kick. Let us know if it works

Katherine

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2024, 07:34:25 AM »

I don't think it's simply changing food, it maybe the type of food. Stuff that your digestive system has to work harder for and that gives your metabolism a kick. Let us know if it works

I’ve heard that just changing some foods can work as your body gets used to the same foods. It worked for my mum anyway. Has anyone heard of these cholesterol lowering spreads that contain plant stanols or had any success with them?

Minusminnie

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2024, 07:35:19 AM »

Re tap water I only ever drink it boiled or after it has been boiled nowadays. Never straight out of the tap.

That's me too minusminnie,many MANY years ago,my partner,daughter and I came down with something akin to glandular fever,down to drinking bad tap water,at the time,I said to my partner,this water tastes weird,long story short,we all got VERY sick and had lots and lots of people come and go,testing the water etc since then,I've never touched it and that was almost 30 years ago

It is just habit with me now if out I ask for hot water to drink. My OH used to work in the water/ environment sector !

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2024, 08:10:40 AM »

Benecol - haven't seen the adverts recently but what the product doesn't suggest is what else to alter in diet and exercise to help their spread to work.

My DH was in the water industry: sewage  ;D

Many of those energy bars have lots of 'other sugars' , some come under ultra processed foods ;-)

Penguin

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2024, 08:14:50 AM »

Re tap water I only ever drink it boiled or after it has been boiled nowadays. Never straight out of the tap.

That's me too minusminnie,many MANY years ago,my partner,daughter and I came down with something akin to glandular fever,down to drinking bad tap water,at the time,I said to my partner,this water tastes weird,long story short,we all got VERY sick and had lots and lots of people come and go,testing the water etc since then,I've never touched it and that was almost 30 years ago

It is just habit with me now if out I ask for hot water to drink. My OH used to work in the water/ environment sector !

Is putting the water through a filter good enough (we have one in both our fridge for cold water and a separate tap on our sink) or does it have to be boiled to get rid of the germs?
Interesting as we live in a high chalk area and my mums kidney problems really improved once we started filtering the water. I hate the taste of plain tap water now.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2024, 08:18:05 AM »

A filter should be enough as long as the filter is washed regularly.   

Taz2

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2024, 10:51:48 AM »

It’s my HDL? bad cholesterol that’s 3.6. Total cholesterol 5.6 I think.

Mines 4.4HDL and 5.9 total. I haven't started my statins yet. I keep putting it off. Maybe tonight I will take the plunge.  ;D

Minusminnie

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2024, 11:27:41 AM »

I don’t know about filters so can’t comment.
My OH was on fisheries side of things at one time. Always says as utility that the water industry should have stayed together.

Katherine

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2024, 01:18:54 PM »

It’s my HDL? bad cholesterol that’s 3.6. Total cholesterol 5.6 I think.

Mines 4.4HDL and 5.9 total. I haven't started my statins yet. I keep putting it off. Maybe tonight I will take the plunge.  ;D

I'm not taking statins. I've ordered a treadmill instead. And will cut down on sat fat. Saw a programme once where a man had a big fryup then went for a long walk round London. They measured his cholesterol before and after the walk and the cholesterol was significantly reduced after the walk. So it's a myth one has to run. But I guess running is less time consuming. If Im too tired I can always walk on the treadmill.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2024, 01:21:24 PM by Katherine »

Katherine

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2024, 01:20:44 PM »

My OH drinks filtered water from the fridge and he says it doesn't have the tap water taste,so I'm guessing filtering it definitely helps

I used to use the BRITA cartridges but they didn't improve the taste so I stopped using them. The taste of tap water is different depending on the area you live. The further you are away from the treatment plant the less chlorine it has.

SarahT

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2024, 02:19:35 PM »

Katherine
Living with multiple health issues, one of which is chronic fatigue,the most important information I read was to ' Think Movement Not Exercise '

So on a day where the tired feeling rules , or motivation goes out the window, and formal types of exercise seem  unachievable, then anything is better than nothing. Do the best you can on any given day x
« Last Edit: June 26, 2024, 02:45:46 PM by SarahT »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4