Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Cataracts  (Read 638 times)

groundhog

Cataracts
« on: June 27, 2024, 08:48:03 PM »

Hi ladies,
I’m 63 and have cataracts induced by steroids.  My vision is ok indoors but outside I don’t see too well plus I’m borderline able to drive.
Trouble is I’m terrified of surgery. I’ve read the risks and now I’m feeling too anxious to go ahead. Has anyone got an6 experience of cataract surgery please, good and bad xx

fiftyplus

Re: Cataracts
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2024, 09:11:48 PM »

Hi ladies,
I’m 63 and have cataracts induced by steroids.  My vision is ok indoors but outside I don’t see too well plus I’m borderline able to drive.
Trouble is I’m terrified of surgery. I’ve read the risks and now I’m feeling too anxious to go ahead. Has anyone got an6 experience of cataract surgery please, good and bad xx
Aww bless you my lovely.  My mum had both cataracts done and had no problems.  It was not something that she looked forward to and just like yourself she said she was terrified when she got the 1st eye done but she said that she was sure they must have given her something to calm her down and relax her although they didn't say they had.  She said the staff were lovely, a nurse held her hand and she said they spoke to her all through it to distract her and when it was time to get the 2nd eye done (they left 6 months between each eye) she was not as scared to go again.  She noticed a huge difference in her eyesight after and if you get this done and are able to keep driving this would be a bonus for you.

I also know of other people who have had cataracts and other eye surgery done and they say it is not anywhere near as bad as you think it will be.  They numb your eyes with drops so you don't feel anything and I know my mum didn't feel any pain after she said her eye just felt a bit gritty for a day or so after.  I also have the very start of cataracts apparently and although I won't look forward to the op, I will still get it done after my mum's and others experience I have spoken to.  I hope this re-assures you a wee bit, I think it is just the thought it which I totally understand, so just don't overthink about it.  Take good care of yourself and sending some virtual hugs your way xx  :hug:

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2024, 09:14:07 PM »

I can understand why you're scared of it but I think the number that go wrong is small (though statistics don't help if you're the one). No direct experience but my dad had them when he couldn't see well enough to drive and they were 100% successful.

Jules

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2024, 09:16:15 PM »

I know two people who have had the surgery and were fine. No problems reported and both had much improved vision. One said everybody looked 10 years younger ;) I also have the start of them Ive recently learned.

groundhog

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2024, 09:30:26 PM »

Thank you all so much. 
As some of you may know I had very rare complications during a hysterectomy and ended up with a fistula - have tinwer two bags.  It’s the inflammation from the gut that has affected my eyes blah blah.
I do overthink everything and can’t imagine anything going right. In the last 6 weeks I’ve had Covid and then really bad food poisoning ( campylobacter). I ended up in hospital for a week was really unwell.
So confidence is low to non existent.  I onky really hear positive things about cataract surgery but onky see the negatives and when I read 1 in a 1000 experience blindness that was it !
I’m hoping to speak to someone from the hospital tomorrow but I find it better to speak to people who have lived experience.  I know most of us develop cataracts in our 60s but mine have been expedited by the steroids.
Thanks again, so much appreciated xx

Penguin

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2024, 05:42:04 AM »

My mum had hers done and was fine, but they did them one at a time, not both on same day. That may reassure you a bit about losing your sight as you'd just not go ahead with the second eye if there were problems with the first.

groundhog

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2024, 04:09:52 PM »

Thanks everyone. I’ve decided to go ahead with the procedure - il always be nervous so I’m taking a leap of faith and hoping for the best 🙏

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2024, 04:26:00 PM »

U R in control.  If U want 1 done then a break, that should be OK.  Explaining your worries prior to the procedure may help too.  Let us know how you get on.

Jules

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2024, 06:02:54 PM »

Thanks everyone. I’ve decided to go ahead with the procedure - il always be nervous so I’m taking a leap of faith and hoping for the best 🙏
My mum is having hers done so I'll be interested to know how you are after in terms of ability to do things.

groundhog

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2024, 08:53:36 PM »

Thank yo7 CLKD and Jules, I will keep,you posted,