Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Peri confusion  (Read 501 times)

Mariab

Peri confusion
« on: June 18, 2024, 01:57:39 PM »

Hi,
I am in perimenopause (I think)...I say I think as my journey so far has been very up and down and confusing!!. For the last year
I have been on 2 pumps of eastrogel, I also have the marina and vegifeme..I was on androfeme but unfortunately it made no difference for me...my main symptom is anxiety (also on 20mg citalopram )which is completely life recking..   :'(.I
seem to have a blip and return of symptoms every middle.of the month..I have no idea what my levels are, am I on too much eastrogen or not enough, my doctor said there is no way to test for this..my anxiety is sky high again and at a loss in how to help myself further...any advice would be wonderful or encouragement.  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Peri confusion
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2024, 08:10:18 AM »

Hi!   how were your hormones and feelings during your menstruating years?   I would have a bout of sobbing the night B4 a bleed began, even if a period wasn't due.  When my periods began to wax and wane over 2-3 years I knew it was The Change.

Your symptoms seem to be cyclical from how you describe.  Anxiety levels can become more acute during peri-menopause, those years leading up to the final period.  How is your diet overall?

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.   When do you take the Citalopram?   My GP prescribed Propranolol which I took at night to ease any early morning surges. 

Mariab

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2024, 03:07:16 PM »

Hi, clkd
Thanks for your reply. When I had periods I only became stressed after the period had finished but sore breasts sometimes all month then periods became closer together and lighter sometimes only lasting 1 day..I suddenly I  couldn't cope with things and became very anxious. I've always had some anxiety but this is off the charts....and can't seem to ease for more than a week at a time...my diet is not great I reach for carbs and to be honest I havnt a clue what to eat apart from fruit and veg as there is so much conflicting information out there.. i am 9 stone and quite slim, I wondered about trying magnesium and probiotics ??, I now suffer with ibs and get reflux quite often...
I take citalopram in the morning and I'm also on pregabalin which I was put on privately as I was suicidal a few times last year..another thing which was very new and scary to me...I did ask for propranolol but was told it didn't work which was wrong now I look back...
I will.try anything to ease the anxiety as I want to get off this roller coaster now and live life without fear...I still work and push myself to keep going through the tough times but just want to relax.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2024, 04:06:25 PM »

Fear can be overwhelming and totally encompassing.  Does the regime you take help at all? 

Bachs flower remedies can help, I used the mouth spray B4 anxiety levels rose, never requiring more than 3 sprays.  I was also on a betablocka and anti-depressants.  I also have a go-to emergency anti-anxiety med ..  There are pastilles too.

Pilates; relaxation therapy; sitting quietly away from others ........ what ever helps you to relax if you can manage 10-20 mins daily.  Topping up VitD levels is a must for most of us .  We have threads on hobbies, pets, gardening etc., we even talk about menopause ;-).

Mariab

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2024, 05:13:34 PM »

Thankyou for all your advise and support :)..the regime I am on I think takes the edge off but I still do not feel balanced if that makes sense..sometimes I'm so close only to feel awful again, from Reading posts on here I can see I'm not the only one...
I wonder if the gp can test my bloods to see if I need vit d, magnesium etc...
I love gardening which I still do, I have lost interest in my hobbies which I would love to get back...
Do you still suffer abit??? How have you managed to get through it?.x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2024, 05:44:31 PM »

Hormone Blood tests can be reliably unreliable  ::) however, VitD levels etc. can be checked by a GP arranging them. 

Anxiety took over my Life at times  :'( but I have a loving husband and good support from our GP who has worked with us to find medications that ease anxiety symptoms. 

Mariab

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2024, 05:49:46 PM »

I'm so glad you found a more settled place :)...I hope to get to that point..onwards and upwards as they say ;D

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2024, 06:48:52 PM »

In the 1990s I was unable to leave the house for a few months.   :'(. With support etc. I survived.  As long as I don't plan too far ahead I cope most days, anything unexpected can either throw me or I cope  ::)

What confuses you the most?

Mariab

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2024, 06:30:30 AM »

It's the fact that I'm getting blips every month thats lasts a few weeks and only have a short window of feeling better but even then I'm not totally relaxed...then I start thinking, is it hrt is it citalopram not working, do I need to up dose, what am I doing wrong ::) :'(..but when I'm feeling better I can see it for what it is.Anxiety but dread the next episode....I do think to far ahead it a habit I've always had.  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2024, 07:13:40 AM »

Morning.  How is your sleep pattern?

I suspect that this is hormonal.  mayB discuss with your Nurse Practitioner/GP about raising the Citalopram.  As well as your HRT regime to see what else is available.

Mariab

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2024, 02:39:02 PM »

Hi,
I tend to go to sleep quite easily but wake alot through the night either sweating ( I think this maybe the citalopram), or noise or for no reason, so I'm never fully rested.i am seeing the meno nurse at the start of July so will have a good chat with her, I have tried to go to 3 pumps before but made me jittery or was it anxiety who knows...I have contacted the gp about upping dose of cit and she said hold off until hormones settle
Thankyou for giving me advice I do appreciate it .x
 :) :)

Mariab

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2024, 06:43:38 AM »

Good morning,
Could I just ask what medication helped you in the end..obviously you don't have to answer that if you don't want to... :-X :)