Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: I think it must be uro-gynae  (Read 857 times)

Maltesers

I think it must be uro-gynae
« on: June 17, 2024, 04:10:00 PM »

This is my first post on the site and I’m posting because I don’t know where to turn. I’m mid 60s and have been post menopausal for about 16 years. I’ve been on Vagifem, twice a week for about 4 years. In the last month I’ve developed a feeling of needing to pee all the time. At first I thought it was a uti and I was prescribed 3 lots of antibiotics, only the 3rd prescription involved a face to face consultation and tests came back clear of uti. The need to pee was horrendous and painful and so I saw a private GP during a short break elsewhere in the UK. She tested urine and said there is no sign of a uti. There has never been any burning sensation, just a need to pee. I was prescribe Estriol for external use at night. The private GP also suggested using hydromol ointment for washing and moisturising.This seemed to really help for 2 weeks, but now 16 days later I’m needing to pee constantly again. Since that time I’ve seen my own GP who refused to prescribe estriol along with Vagifem, saying it was one or the other. Does anybody have any advice? I would so appreciate your thoughts.

Minusminnie

Re: I think it must be uro-gynae
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2024, 04:48:32 PM »

Would your GP agree to just giving you more vagifem so that you can up the dose from 2 a week. It does sound like 4years on that you now need a higher dose.
Is the estriol on private prescription & could you continue to obtain that anyway?
Many use more than 2 vagifem a week plus use of estriol externally too.
You can also buy estriol online.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2024, 04:51:03 PM by Minusminnie »

Maltesers

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2024, 05:13:41 PM »

Thank you! I hadn’t realised that estriol can be bought without prescription. I will increase my Vagifem and buy some estriol to have once the private prescription runs out. I am annoyed that my GP thinks that I can’t use both when I know from this forum that many people use topical oestrogen as well as Vagifem. I really appreciate your input.

Jules

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2024, 05:42:19 PM »

I've had that in the past. In the last two weeks Ive had a flare up of soreness which eased then that feeling of needing the loo. Tenderness around the tip of the uretha. It's so distracting.  My GP prescribed a steroid cream which with my estriol cream externally and moisturiser seems to have eventually sorted it for the time anyway. But Ive used vagifem nightly for a week and popped an extra application of estriol on in the morning. It's taken all that to settle it. My GP doesnt have any problem with me using both vagifem and estriol cream and told me to increase my vagifem for a week. I am not applying them both internally. Does your doctor understand that? Im going to drop the vagifem to alternate nights and see how I do on that. I've stopped the steroid cream as that was just for short term use. Is there a different doctor you can see? I get different responses from different GPs at the surgery

Minusminnie

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2024, 06:35:24 PM »

Thank you! I hadn’t realised that estriol can be bought without prescription. I will increase my Vagifem and buy some estriol to have once the private prescription runs out. I am annoyed that my GP thinks that I can’t use both when I know from this forum that many people use topical oestrogen as well as Vagifem. I really appreciate your input.

There is estriol 0.01% & estriol 0.1% (old name Ovestin). I’d just check which you are currently using.
It is all trial & error to find what suits you.  :)

Maltesers

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2024, 06:59:10 PM »

I’ve ordered the estriol online as it’s the same strength as the private doctor prescribed me when I was on holiday. I started increasing my Vagifem to every night a few nights ago.My discomfort was exactly as you describe, Jules. It is all-consuming, yet there is no feeling of being ill, just very very uncomfortable.  I can’t thank you enough for your responses. I think I will try to see a different GP if this doesn’t settle within a few days.

Ayesha

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2024, 07:37:55 PM »

I honestly think there is a push for us to buy what we need over the counter, because we now can!
2 Vagifem a week is a joke, total waste of time. I have been reading new guidelines on the dosage and how to treat VA(GSM) but until it gets to be made official we are on our own. I pity the women who can't afford to buy privately and have to rely on what a surgery dishes out.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2024, 07:56:57 PM »

Have you also been checked for thrush? I had similar issues to you and discovered because of a separate issue that i had "entrenched" thrush. I didn't have any of what I thought were the symptoms eg itching. After treatment I felt much better, though I am one of those who use vagifem and estriol.

Maltesers

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2024, 09:04:50 PM »

Yes the brilliant private GP said there was no sign of thrush. Thanks for your suggestion - it’s  much appreciated. I do agree that we are being pushed to buy from pharmacies rather than being prescribed adequately to treat what comes our way. I think I am going to have to be patient and stick to an increased dosage of both Vagifem and Estriol for a time. Thanks again.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2024, 09:58:26 PM »

Late to this but your GP should have told you to use the VA treatment every night as a reload, at least for 3 weeks. 

Some require VA treatment internally as well as a smear of 'ovestin' or a moisterisor on the vulva/labia.   Read the various threads on this mis-understood condition by many medics..

Let us know how you get on.  3 lots of ABs is beyond the pale quite honestly, no joined up thinking.   When I get the need2P I swallow Nurofen 3 times a day and up the 'ovestin' to mid-afternoon and evening until symptoms settle.

Jules

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2024, 10:57:55 PM »

Maltesers I feel much more comfortable though the steroid helped but when I'm applying my creams I can feel the area that was sore has plumped a bit so the increased dosage of estrogen has done its job. The pharmacist gave me a tablet for thrush when I asked for advice but it made no difference, it was simply menopausal fragile tissues. I'm applying Yes moisturiser 3 times a day and especially if I'm putting jeans on when there's likely to be friction.  I couldn't even wear jeans last week. I was going au natural in the house, and I'm sure that helped too. I did take paracetamol a couple of times. Avoid anything with ibuprofen in. It's so harsh on your stomach especially if you have acid reflux
« Last Edit: June 17, 2024, 10:59:45 PM by Jules »

Maltesers

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2024, 03:09:35 PM »

I will keep reloading the Vagifem and I’m moisturising throughout the day (sometimes Yes and sometimes Hydromol ointment). I will also use Estriol externally once during the day as well as in the evening. I have bought some online for when my prescribed tube is done. I’ve cut out all caffeine (even chocolate) to see if that might help and I’m taking a daily dose of D Mannose and drinking kefir. Jeans are put away until the situation improves. I honestly don’t think I can do anything else. I hate that I’ve had 3 lots of antibiotics unnecessarily but it’s done now. Thanks to you all for your advice. I’m so glad I found this forum. I will come back and update you on how I’m getting on.

Ayesha

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2024, 03:44:07 PM »

Your story is similar to mine, three lots of antibiotics when absolutely unnecessary. Two and a half years on with daily Vagifem, smear of Estriol night and morning with moisturiser, I no longer have symptoms. I also took D Mannose, you do anything in desperation but I believe it helped until the oestrogen treatment took effect and I no longer take it.

The ignorance surrounding this condition and the fight to get treatment for a regime that works for us is becoming more difficult and we are forced to buy privately, we honestly have to take control of this condition ourselves.